cavalier traction control light and tras problem

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cavalier traction control light and tras problem

Walking
    Thanks

cavalier traction control light and tras problem

I have a 2000 z24 cavalier and lately sometimes my trac off light will come on and my 4 speed auto trans will start to shift really hard.. i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: cavalier traction control light and tras problem

Don't know where you live, but if you have a parts store that will read codes for you I might be able to help...........

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 dr.gizmo's Avatar
    Thanks

You have a trouble code setting somewhere, either the PCM/TCM or maybe the EBCM, you need to get it scanned, and then diagnosed.
    30 Year Gm Dealer Tech.
    GM World Class Tech with 9 certs.
    ASE Master with L1; 12 certs. total

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

sounds like you need a tranny flush or a sensor is going bad. i had a 02 sensorgo on my 2001 sunfire and it put the check engine light on and the ETS off light on till i got it fixed. it would come on and off when it wanted

Walking
    Thanks

I'm will try to make this short and sweet, if you experience traction control off light, followed by hard shifting, this can be real simple or can be relatively expensive to diagnose and repair. On complicated problems a wheel sensor or wiring fails intemittedly so quickly a scanner cannot detect it, then a snapshot scan procedure can pick it up, but can be expensive, and or labor intense.

For those of you frustated and want to save money, go to your dealer, they use a tech II scanner. Tell them to access your BCM (body control module) tell them to deactivate your antilock brakes and traction control. The traction control needs the antilock system to function. If its an older car that uses a prom in the computer, this solution will not work for you. On cavaliers they are located under the dash, on the left side, above the emergency brake assembly, they are dark grey, have 3 harnesses that plug in, the BCM actually snaps into a white holder and is approxamatly 4 x 6 inches in size.

The car will then shift normal, the reason for the hard shift is the shift solenoids are shifting late at too high of pressure, due to irregular voltage interuptions. With the system deactivated, the pressure will return to normal levels, also the light will not come on, all is well. You just no longer have antilock brakes, nor traction control, just like the old days. This will not harm your vehicle in anyway, the computer just doesn't recognise it has the antilock brakes or traction control options This solution is for people who are either frustrated or short of cash and or patients. Hope this helped. Blitzxl5

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

If your PCM has a fault related to torque supply, depending on the fault, the EBCM will disable traction control. You could have transmission control solenoid problems.

Walking
    Thanks

Will this work on a 2001 Z24? I am having this identical problem .Can you disconnect it yourself? For now I keep erasing the code and everthing is good for about 4 days.
    TC light seems to come on when in stop & go heavy traffic.Thanks

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information