Car with a blown engine-easy fix?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car with a blown engine-easy fix?

Thanks

Car with a blown engine-easy fix?

I was looking around on craigslist and I found a car that I liked at a great price but (catch) its got a blown engine. I dont know much about blown engines and what goes wrong when they accure but was hopeing some one does and could tell me what kinda work I'd be looking at. Also Would I need to drop in a whole new engine or can the blown one be fixed to normal?? if I had a mechanic do the work how much would it cost?? is it even worth the time. all replys will be appreciated. thanx
    F*** your green movement!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 mike's 01ws6's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Car with a blown engine-easy fix?

Quote Originally Posted by suburbanfoo
    I was looking around on craigslist and I found a car that I liked at a great price but (catch) its got a blown engine. I dont know much about blown engines and what goes wrong when they accure but was hopeing some one does and could tell me what kinda work I'd be looking at. Also Would I need to drop in a whole new engine or can the blown one be fixed to normal?? if I had a mechanic do the work how much would it cost?? is it even worth the time. all replys will be appreciated. thanx
    A used engine would be most likely less expensive than a rebuild, depends on the age of the car, what engine, whats wrong with it. Last engine I messed with wound up costing $1100 to rebuild ( timing gear came apart and we fixed the upper end first then it trashed a crank bearing a couple months later) and I could have bought an engine with 40-80k miles for $500 or less to put in a car that had over 150,000 miles on it.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Car with a blown engine-easy fix?

It all depends on what the seller means by a "blown engine".

I bought a T-Bird a few years ago; the seller thought the engine was dying because it burned a little bit of oil and had a "check engine" light. It turned out to be nothing more than a bad PCV valve and O2 sensor. I fixed both for about 60 bucks. When I sold it 35k miles later, the engine was still running perfectly.

On the other end of the spectrum, a "blown engine" could just as easily mean there's a piston dangling out of a giant hole in the block. Get some more information from the seller and let us know what they say, then we might be able to help you out more.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information