Brake Fluid not changed? What color should it be?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake Fluid not changed? What color should it be?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Brake Fluid not changed? What color should it be?

Hey all, I supposedly got my brake fluid changed on my '06 Cobalt a few weeks ago ($120)and supposedly also got a wheel alignment and oil change.
    The car was riding worse than before the alignment (no print out and all it said on the receipt is that they adjusted the toe camber),so I brought it in to where I bought my tires for a free rotation and wheel balance. When I picked it up he told me the brake fluid was dirty!
    Now, what color is it supposed to be because he said it was green and cloudy and he said it should be clear and I looked at it and to me it sure looked dirty.
    I would be amazed if they didn't bother to do it but I decided to check my oil and it looked orange, kinda dark too. I expected it to be pretty clear.
    This dealer may be in for a very irate customer!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Brake Fluid not changed? What color should it be?

New brake fluid is supposed to be clear. As it ages it turns yellowish-brown

Here's a pic of dirty versus clear brake fluid:
    2013 Chevrolet Black Diamond Avalanche 6k | 1989 Cadillac Brougham 145k

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1
    Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident.
    Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Could also be purple (silicone DOT 5)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

I would change brake fluid around 50k miles as it is hydrophobic and overtime water can build up and mess with the system.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

Thanks

I have 50k.
    The dealer said the fluid was dirty and recommended changing it so I went ahead and did it because I like to take care of my car.
    However, the fluid thats in there now is definitely not clear and its not purple. It just looks........dirty.
    I am not a happy camper right now. They also charged more than I thought it should be ($120).
    Let me ask you guys, should new oil be orange? (its a synthetic blend I believe).

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Man that is an expensive dealer. Fluid should be AT MOST $20 and that leaves $100 for labor when its maybe an 1/2 hour job a most.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

Thanks

I remember bleeding my clutch and getting BLACK brake fluid out of there... clear as water at the reservoir, black as fresh asphalt out of the bleeder screw. worn seal I guess

Thanks

Brake fluid absorbs 1-2% moisture/year
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma View Post
    a light taupe...as I would guess.
    I'll check it again tomorrow in the sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Man that is an expensive dealer. Fluid should be AT MOST $20 and that leaves $100 for labor when its maybe an 1/2 hour job a most.
    The funny thing is they said it would take an hour to do but when I got back there to wait for it it was ready in 1/2 hour. I thought that was odd but they had never ripped me off before so I let it go. Evans Tire said they charge $50 for the same job.

One other thing....motor oil that looks clean out of the bottle, will not be as clean on the dipstick due to residuals in the engine & oil pan that does not completely drain out.

Case in point, when I resealed my PA's oil pan last summer, the car normally uses 4 1/2 quarts of oil on an oil & filter change, however after I had dropped the oil pan and cleaned it all out (and no sludge or buildup in 145K miles! MUY BIEN!!!) and upon oil fill it took a full 5 quarts...same theory could apply to brake fluid, as there is NOTHING to clean out the old brake fluid except new brake fluid...

Just another observation based on my personal experiences!
    But looking in the reservoir it should look clear, right? I just see dark fluid.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Generally GM does not recommend flushing the brake or power steering system as a maintainence item...only if there was some outside contamination.

I know for fact my 1998 Park Avenue had it's original brake fluid in it until I replaced a brake hose a year ago (which got cut by a chunk of ice in the wheel well....I should file that with the NHTSA!!LOL!)

Just my 2 cents worth, whatever that is???
    Odd. Odd.

I would change brake fluid around 50k miles as it is hydrophobic and overtime water can build up and mess with the system.
    I consider BF and PSF normal maintenance items. Guess I'll never make it to the GM Executive Department. Dern!

You forgot order-out steaks for everyone in the service department. That adds up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Brake fluid absorbs 1-2% moisture/year
    A little brake fluid in your moisture never hurt, did it?

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I bled the brakes in my 2003 Trailblazer at about 103,000.
    I bled each corner in the recommended pattern-- farthest to closest.
    1st using a turkey baster- I removed SOME of the old fluid from the reservoir- and put in fresh clear fluid...
    I would continue to bleed (by the method where a person pumps the brakes and holds- then I open bleeder screw and then close- repeat). until the fluid started to become clear.
    It came out fairly dirty--- its not clear after 103,000.
    for me it was grayish dark.
    I continue to bleed until I can see a difference in the color of the fluid.
    then I proceed to repeat on the rest.... always making sure that the reservoir does not go low.

My brakes were good. but after 103K--- I just replaced it. The brakes felt a little better...
    Now is this the recommended way for all brakes systems? im not sure-- but worked for me...

would using one of those machines really clear it out? I dont know-- Ive never had it done at a shop..
    I now have 153,000 on the trailblazer--- still purring along.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

my understanding is that moisture (water) does not compress like brake fluid does...
    obviously they have diff. properties under pressure...

and as your fluid begins to pick up moisture--- thats when you begin to feel those squishy brakes- as your essentially compressing water- along with brake fluid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    New brake fluid is supposed to be clear. As it ages it turns yellowish-brown

Here's a pic of dirty versus clear brake fluid:
    It actually seemed darker than that last pic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbarrios View Post
    my understanding is that moisture (water) does not compress like brake fluid does...
    obviously they have diff. properties under pressure...

and as your fluid begins to pick up moisture--- thats when you begin to feel those squishy brakes- as your essentially compressing water- along with brake fluid.
    The difference in compressibility between water and brake fluid is insignificant, for all intents and purposes all liquids are incompressible

That said the main issue is that when the brake fluid gets contaminated with water, the boiling point drops significantly and boiling brake fluid is particularly undesirable

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    I'll check it again tomorrow in the sunlight
    The funny thing is they said it would take an hour to do but when I got back there to wait for it it was ready in 1/2 hour. I thought that was odd but they had never ripped me off before so I let it go. Evans Tire said they charge $50 for the same job.
    But looking in the reservoir it should look clear, right? I just see dark fluid.
    The fluid should not be dark if they changed it. I'd say it hasn't been touched.

Check and see if there are any fresh marks on the bleeder screws in the calipers & wheels cylinders.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information