BG Fuel Induction Service?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BG Fuel Induction Service?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

BG Fuel Induction Service?

Hi. All the Chevy dealers in my area offer a service called BG Fuel Induction Service. It costs $119.00 and supposedly completely cleans the fuel system intakes, runners, injectors, etc. They reccomend the service every 30,000 miles.
    Is this service worth having done? (I use shell gas in my car if that makes any difference).

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: BG Fuel Induction Service?

We used to do a similar thing with Wynn's. Now we don't do it as we'd have people come in and just ask for fuel injection cleaning, period. We'd perform the job, and then the next day the customer would return spouting the car/truck doesn't run any better...yadda, yadda, yadda...and THEN we'd come to find out that they did have driveability issues and alike. We now only use GM top engine cleaner and gasoline through the GM Kent Moore tool, and only if the repair calls for such, we don't sell it as an elective service anymore.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member T-Type's Avatar
    Thanks

I would say no. I see no benefit to it, especially if the car runs fine.

Thanks

The only reason it would be suggested anymore is if you arent using good gas...if youre using "top tier" gas, then you should not need to have this done.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 04Malibu
    Hi. All the Chevy dealers in my area offer a service called BG Fuel Induction Service. It costs $119.00 and supposedly completely cleans the fuel system intakes, runners, injectors, etc. They reccomend the service every 30,000 miles.
    Is this service worth having done? (I use shell gas in my car if that makes any difference).
    First off i will tell you that almost every dealer/service center offers the flush services.I would say unless you are having some issues with clogged injectors than no the service is not needed.The one service i would recomened that we do at our dealer is the decarb procedure.Especially if do a lot of city drivivng.There actually is a bulletin which GM came out with saying that "flushes" are not necessary as routine maintenece.There are also is a bulletin for cleaning injectors using GM Top Engine cleaner.This is the only approved method.If you are using Shell which is a "Top Tier" fuel you should have no problems.I use to have an issue with my personal car when i used cheap gas.It would run rough for about 3 mins every morning .When i switched to Mobil One i have zero issues.What i would recomended is using a good tank additive injector cleaner every time you do an oil change.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Thnks for the input. It seems to me that a can of complete fuel system cleaner is a better option "?"
    Anyway, does GM parts sell something like STP fuel system cleaner?

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

It is actually Chevron Techron additive...otherwise they do if you can't find the Techron... gm#12345104

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMPCC_Ryan
    I had a vehicle come in the shop that had an erratic idle and poor performance. The driveability tech said I should do the BG fuel service on the vehicle. I was hesitant because it was a customer pay job and it was an elderly lady, and if that didn't take care of it, she was going to be out a good chunk of change. But I did it anyways and was completely amazed at the results. The vehicle ran so smooth afterwards that I started doing the service on my own vehicle. Every 30K seems often, but I have personally seen the stuff cure performance problems, so it has to help as preventative maintenance.
    -Ryan

See, that's the kicker on this issue. Some people say absolutely no to the service and that it doesn't help, etc. Others say that it is great.
    What to do, what to do?!!!!!!!!!

Here's a question. Would you recommend it if the car is running fine at 30K? How about 90K? Is it any more effective than a can of Chevron Techron?

P.S. Thank you for all of the good advice.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I was at lunch today in Warren MI and there were some guys from the tech center at the resturant. I asked them about the BG service and their response was that millions of cars got 200,000 miles or better without ever having the fuel induction service done. I countered with the preventitive maintainence argument, and their response was that a can of Chevron Techron would clean out the carbon just as well as the service would.
    Something that I was really surprised to hear them say was that dealerships are there to make money. And charging $150 for a service that takes about twenty minutes and costs them $50 is a really good way to do this. These were really guys from Warren tech center with GM badges on. It was wierd to hear them talk about delearships that way.
    Their bottom line: don't bother.
    My take: I am now scratching my head in confusion.

Walking
    Thanks

Talking Re: BG Fuel Induction Service?

The fuel induction service is actually a great service, depending on what all is included. Dealers will vary with pricing according to what all is performed:
    Replace/inspect air filter
    Flush fuel injectors by machine (Not just adding fuel treatment, although that is sometimes done in conjunction)
    Perform injector balance test (A too-rich fuel mixture due to aftermarket air filter or other reason will kill fuel mileage)
    Clean throttle body bore and blade (Even top tier gasolines leave carbon deposits in GM throttle body assemblies. This almost always causes a rough idle and can even lead to stalling when turning on A/C, etc.)
    Scope engine to check for misfires
    Scan test with computer (Good preventative maintenance even if there is no check engine light on)
    Check fuel pressure (Can detect early potential problems with fuel pump, etc.)

I have this service performed on my car every 15,000 miles and can definately feel the difference. Usually get 1-2 better MPG and better throttle response. Would definately recommend this service. And on some GM V6 or
    V8 engines, it is absolutely necessary.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Dave B's Avatar
    Thanks

I always wondered about that BG stuff myself, but I never tried it. I use a top tier gas most of the time but sometimes (but not often) I will use with an occasional tank of unbranded gas. Every once in a while (2x a year or so) I put a bottle of Techron in the fuel tank.
    ------------------------------
    07 Impala 3.5L VVT ..ONSTAR ROCKS... (GF's car)
    99 Cutlass 3.1L (sold)
    Some MOPAR stuff with Mods...

Walking
    Thanks

This is a very important service in my opinion, but I'd never pay $100+ dollars to have it done. It's easy enough to do yourself for $20. With the finer tolerances in modern engines Carbon and other fuel system build ups have a much greater impact on an engines efficiency.

Go to Walmart and buy two bottles of Seafoam motor treatment from the automotive department (can typically be found cheaper elsewhere). Approx $9 a piece. Then pickup an empty spray bottle (located in the cleaning supplies by the mops)

For a twenty dollar bill you've bought all of the supplies required.
    1. Pour one bottle into the gas tank
    2. unhook the intake plenum from the air/filter box. If possible, rotate the plenum upward so that it acts as funnel to the throttle body. (this varies from vehicle to vehicle)
    3. Fill the empty spray bottle with the second can of Seafoam, and adjust the nozzle to spray/mist.
    4. Start the engine and let idle
    5. begin spraying 3/4 of the Seafoam into the intake plenum. This will cause the engine to studder, but it will not die unless you get too aggressive with your spraying.
    6. Once your down to the last 1/4 of the bottle stop spraying and remove the spray top.
    7. Aggressively dump the remaining contents into the plenum. Don't be alarmed as this will kill the engine. This allows a large amount of the solvent pass over the valves and rest on top on the pistons removing deposits and freeing up piston rings.
    8. Wait 20 to 30 minutes and start the car. It will have some difficulty starting initially.
    9. The vehicle will heavily emit white smoke (like it was a commercial smoke machine). Let the engine run until the smoking subsides.

That's all there is to it. If you can change the air filter on your car, you can do this service. There's no need to spend $100 on this, but it does make a noticeable difference in the engines power, gas mileage, and smoothness at idle.

Last edited by mhackl; 11-02-2011 at 03:26 PM.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

we mix GM top engine cleaner with fuel, run the car on a pressurized bottle of the mixture. put a bottle of fuel system additive in the tank, which really doesnt do anything but remove moisture from the fuel.

we recommend it every 15k.

I would say that the injector cleaning with top engine cleaner is good. its a GM procedure used to fix clogged injectors. i do it regularly on my vehicle, just to prevent carbon buildup on the injectors.
    also, I would clean the throttle body. do this about every 15k as well. tooth brush and some carb cleaner works awesome.

trans fluid flush/fluid change every 30k or so, replace trans filter every 60-80k.

engine coolant every 30-50k, or 2 years.

4x4 trucks- change diff fluids, and transfer case fluid every 60-80k.

air filter every 30k.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhackl View Post
    This is a very important service in my opinion, but I'd never pay $100+ dollars to have it done. It's easy enough to do yourself for $20. With the finer tolerances in modern engines Carbon and other fuel system build ups have a much greater impact on an engines efficiency.

Go to Walmart and buy two bottles of Seafoam motor treatment from the automotive department (can typically be found cheaper elsewhere). Approx $9 a piece. Then pickup an empty spray bottle (located in the cleaning supplies by the mops)

For a twenty dollar bill you've bought all of the supplies required.
    1. Pour one bottle into the gas tank
    2. unhook the intake plenum from the air/filter box. If possible, rotate the plenum upward so that it acts as funnel to the throttle body. (this varies from vehicle to vehicle)
    3. Fill the empty spray bottle with the second can of Seafoam, and adjust the nozzle to spray/mist.
    4. Start the engine and let idle
    5. begin spraying 3/4 of the Seafoam into the intake plenum. This will cause the engine to studder, but it will not die unless you get too aggressive with your spraying.
    6. Once your down to the last 1/4 of the bottle stop spraying and remove the spray top.
    7. Aggressively dump the remaining contents into the plenum. Don't be alarmed as this will kill the engine. This allows a large amount of the solvent pass over the valves and rest on top on the pistons removing deposits and freeing up piston rings.
    8. Wait 20 to 30 minutes and start the car. It will have some difficulty starting initially.
    9. The vehicle will heavily emit white smoke (like it was a commercial smoke machine). Let the engine run until the smoking subsides.

That's all there is to it. If you can change the air filter on your car, you can do this service. There's no need to spend $100 on this, but it does make a noticeable difference in the engines power, gas mileage, and smoothness at idle.

yes it will make a difference on power alright. will greatly reduce it when the sea foam garbage from walmart plugs up the catalytic converter.

good luck.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Zembonez's Avatar
    Thanks

No seafoam for me... EVER.

These so called "services" are mostly snake oil and dealer profit. BG is not a bad product... They don't harm anything but any improvement is usually in the head of the vehicle owner.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information