GM Inside News Forum banner

best fuel pump

33K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  khooper 
#1 ·
i have a 98 chevy Z71 with the 350 vortec, what is the best suggested fuel pumpp that will help me out performancly and fuel mileage?

#2 · (Edited)
If you are looking for a OE replacement I would recommend either Delphi or AC Delco. Delphi will be the cheaper of the two. Both are exactly the same part. Delphi makes the fuel module and GM purchases it from Delphi and sells it through GM SPO under the AC Delco brand. Performance will not increase but these are the stock replacements. As for the Delphi results showing with RFI and w/o RFI. That is simply a Radio Frequency Interference part on the module that blocks the electrical interferene that comes off the fuel pump, thus in a passenger vehicle causes static on the radio. It's more for emergency vehicles than anythiing but I would recommend just buying the one with RFI. The price difference is minimal. In fact Delphi is in process of getting rid of the non RFI MRA. It can be a do it yourself job but make sure your tank is empty because you will have to drop the tank, obviously. It's basically removing the tank straps, dropping the tank, removing the fuel module and disconnecting the lines and harness. I'd recommend cleaning the tank to get rid of any contaminents before installing a brand new module. You don't want to suck any dirt, etc. into your new module. Doing it yourself is not easy as you need to get that truck up in the air to drop it. It's potentially possible to get underneath w/o a lift but that would just be impossible to work on. It's an expensive job though. I don't know the costs involved but an OE replacement could be $500 and up. I've seen some upwards to $900 with dealer installation. Depends on how many service hours they charge you. I don't think a Silverado is that difficult to do. It's a single tank that is wide open. All they have to do is drop it and reinstall the new one. My guess is they would charge 3 hours x $75 per hour labor. As far as a fuel mileage increase, you might get a slight one out of replacing it with a new one but basically there is no way (at least I know of) out of a fuel pump. Good luck anyhow.

[ Search Result For : 1998 - CHEVROLET - K1500 PICKUP - North America - V8 -- 5.7--350 CID -- GAS -- VIN R ]

Delphi Part Numbers

Modular Fuel Pump FG0086 Exc RFI Filter Stamped GAV
Modular Fuel Pump FG0087 RFI Filter Stamped GDJ, GFK

AC Delco Part Numbers

Do not worry about all the qualifiers as it is only a MU146

01 MU146 MODULE,F/TNK F/PMP(SENDER & PUMP)
With RPO CALIF EMIS, TIER 1(NB6) CODE GAV, GAL, GAP, INCLS SEAL 6' 6" BOX EXTENDED CAB
With RPO CALIF EMIS, TIER 1(NB6) CODE GAV, GAL, GAP, INCLS SEAL 6' 6" BOX REGULAR CAB
With RPO CALIF EMIS, TIER 1(NB6) ^ FED EMIS SYS(NF2) CODE GAV, GAL, GAP, INCLS SEAL 6' 6" BOX EXTENDED CAB
With RPO CALIF EMIS, TIER 1(NB6) ^ FED EMIS SYS(NF2) CODE GAV, GAL, GAP, INCLS SEAL 6' 6" BOX REGULAR CAB
With RPO CALIF EMIS, TIER 1(NB6) CODE GAV, GAL, GAP, INCLS SEAL 8' BOX EXTENDED CAB Without RPO FUEL PUMP RFI FILTER(8J9)
With RPO CALIF EMIS, TIER 1(NB6) CODE GAV, GAL, GAP, INCLS SEAL 8' BOX REGULAR CAB Without RPO FUEL PUMP RFI FILTER(8J9)
With RPO FED EMIS SYS(NF2) CODE GAV, GAL, GAP, INCLS SEAL 8' BOX EXTENDED CAB Without RPO LOW LUBRICITY FUEL SYS SENDER(K55) ^ FUEL PUMP RFI FILTER(8J9)
With RPO FED EMIS SYS(NF2) CODE GAV, GAL, GAP, INCLS SEAL 8' BOX REGULAR CAB Without RPO LOW LUBRICITY FUEL SYS SENDER(K55) ^ FUEL PUMP RFI FILTER(8J9)

#3 · (Edited)
Most modern electric fuel pumps can be heard when you turn the key on. If you don't hear the pump running and your car will not start, it could be your fuel pump. The first thing a mechanic will check is the relay which sends power to the pump. If this is operating correctly then the pump will have to be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.