GM Inside News Forum banner

AWD Tire Size Mismatch Safety Sales Training

43K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have been in a near collision due to AWD Tire Size Mismatch.
The front tires that were installed onto my 2005 Buick Rainier had at least 30k of wear compared to the brand new set installed on the rear, which caused a hopping/locking effect on the TC. The sales group is doing nothing to adverse their sales techniques after sending multiple e-mails, leaving voicemails, talking to my sales rep and his general manger. Even after expressing a life threatning event (A huge red flag). My question for readers is; Is anyone aware of AWD Tire Size Mismatch Safety Sales Training guidlines? I currently have a case# with GMC customer service, but am trying to take it upon my self to assist Sales groups to add AWD Tire Size Mismatch Safety Sales Training for their staff. If it had been my wife and children or your wife and children in the vehicle during the lockup and the Semi had hit them. Well I think you get the picture and it's not pretty. This is a very serious defect. I did end up buying out of my own pocket a new pair of tires to remedie the danger. The AWD Tire Size Mismatch also caused a wining sound and serious bang from the rearend during slowdowns and stops.

Sincerely to all readers,

David J. Machado

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Hi,

Thank you for responding.
They told me they passed state inspection so....
At the time I was uneducated regarding AWD Tire Size Mismatching. I educated myself after my near collision and brought it to the attention of the dealer. Before the purchase I did ask them to replace the the tires because they had obvious wear. They did not and I did want that very vehicle so I went through with the purchase. At this time I'm confident they will not refund or re-imburse me the money I payed for the replacement tires. They are basically hiding and not stepping up to the safety issue. This a very larger reputable dealer, which has me in shock regarding not stepping up. I have not yet presented this issue to the Dealers presedent. I basically am trying to run a safety campain to insure no others are put in that dangerous situation.

Sincerely,

Dave...

#5 ·
Thank you for replying,

Your very intuative.
It is a bit poorly stated.
The tires in question are the same size, but b/c of the treadware the tires had quite varied diameters. The different diameters caused the hopping/lock effect. I am looking for the actual GM AWD tire difference specs. I've read it can not be more then .100 of an inch difference.

Thanks again,

Dave...

#6 ·
Sounds like you had a pretty scary ordeal to say the least. I'm a salesperson for a GM dealership. We do NOT have Tire Safety Sales Training. In my opinion, that may be something better reserved for the service writers and technicians.
As far as getting the dealership to replace the tires after the fact, that is going to be a bit of a push. I know of no dealers who give up money easily AFTER the sale. I'm curious as to where you'd read that the tolerances of the tires need to be within 1/100th of an inch of each other.

#7 ·
Looking for AWD tire size specs

Hello all,

I'm looking for AWD tire size specs.
I own a 2005 Buick Rainier. The Vehicle was sold to me with over 30k of wear on the front tires and the rear tires are new. The vehicle had various TC problems. Hopping, locking, whining and tremendous banging durinig slow down to stop. I have read by on a non-GMC post that the differnce should never be more then 0.100 of an inch. I replaced the front tires and all the problems stopped.

Sincerely,

Buick Rainier owner.

#8 ·
Hi Johhny,

Thank you for replying.
Here is a post I read regarding GMC AWD tire specs.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t557596.html

Here is the quote:

"Re: AWD tire mis-match

As a guy who replaced a transfer case in a Bravada because some goof drove it a few miles with the spare on with 3 different size tires I think you should be VERY careful with this. The comments about rolling diameter are right on. If everything doesn't turn at a 1 to 1 ratio something has to give that something is the clutches in the transfer case. When they are gone. there is no getting them back. Look at the Subaru site and search for Subaru specific data. The word on the GMC AWD is tire diameters as little as .100 different will kill the TC in short order. Good Luck."

It does sound a little extreme in my opinion.
The tires that were on my vehicle had a much smaller diameter.

#9 · (Edited)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIP4022C: Shudder or Slip in Reverse Under Hard Acceleration - keywords chatter - (Mar 7, 2008)

Subject: Shudder or Slip in Reverse Under Hard Acceleration

Models: 2005-2007 Buick Rainier

2005-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2005 Chevrolet Corvette

2005-2007 Chevrolet Express, Trailblazer, Trailblazer EXT

2007 Chevrolet Silverado

2005-2006 Chevrolet SSR

2005-2007 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV, Savana

2007 GMC Sierra

2005-2007 Hummer H2, H2 SUT

2006-2007 Hummer H3

2005-2006 Pontiac GTO

2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

Equipped with 4L60E, 4L65E, 4L70E Automatic Transmission, (RPO M30, M32, M70)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superceded to remove affected models. Please discard PIP4022B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Shudder or slip in reverse on hard acceleration only. Typically it is easiest to duplicate by shifting to reverse and immediately accelerating very aggressively on level ground or by accelerating less aggressively up a hill or with a heavy load.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Note: Ensure the vehicle is equipped with the OEM tire size prior to attempting the below diagnosis. Also, make sure that the rear tires are matching side-to-side in make, size and depth of tread (wear). Mismatched tires can contribute to axle hop which can easily be confused with transmission shudder.

Before attempting to duplicate this concern make sure to ask the customer if the condition occurs when the vehicle is loaded or has a trailer attached or if the vehicle is unloaded. This condition can also be caused by rear axle hop, especially when backing a trailer up a hill. When attempting to duplicate the condition have another person watch the rear tires to verify this is not a hop condition. Also, when attempting to duplicate the condition allow one second after moving the shift lever to the Reverse position before depressing the accelerator pedal. Increasing throttle before one second may result in slip or shudder even though there is not a problem with the transmission as the clutches are not fully filled and applied.

If a slip or shudder issue occurs, verify that reverse boost can be obtained. Use a line pressure gauge to monitor line pressure and use a Tech 2 to monitor PSC amperage during the concern to document the R.O. and TAC case. Engage D4, raise engine RPM to 1,000, allow three seconds for line pressure to stabilize and record line pressure reading. Engage Reverse, raise engine RPM to 1,000, allow three seconds for line pressure to stabilize and record line pressure. Reverse pressure should be at least 20 psi higher than Drive pressure.

Find an identical vehicle and duplicate the same driving maneuver. If it does exhibit the same symptom, this may be an unreasonable driving maneuver and repairs may not be necessary. If another vehicle does not exhibit this concern, inspect the reverse input and low/reverse clutches for damage and root cause (i.e. circuit leak).

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

#01-04-18-001F: Driveline Characteristics for All-Wheel Drive (AWD) and Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) Systems - (Feb 4, 2008)

Subject: Driveline Characteristics For All-Wheel Drive (AWD) and Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) Systems

Models: 2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

2002-2008 Saturn VUE

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

with Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) or All-Wheel Drive (AWD)

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-04-18-001E (Section 04 -- Driveline/Axle).

The purpose of this bulletin is to help explain the operating characteristics of 4WD/AWD systems.

For specific operating instructions for individual transfer cases, please refer to the Owner Manual or Service Information.

DEFINITIONS
AWD vs. 4WD
The very basic difference between AWD and 4WD is the intended usage of the systems.

AWD is usually intended for on-road use in inclement weather conditions, while operating smoothly on dry pavement by allowing for a difference in speed between the front and rear axles while turning. These systems are not selectable and do not have low range gearing for the transfer case. These systems can be found in cars or trucks.

4WD is primarily found in trucks and can be broken down into Part-Time, Full-Time, and Automatic Transfer Cases. These selectable systems have modes intended for on-road use and other modes intended for off-road or low traction situation usage. All current GM 4WD systems have a low range available in the transfer case.

CHARACTERISTICS
Disclaimer: Even though a certain amount of noise or feel can be expected, GM may offer service procedures or components, or change vehicle design, which may reduce perceived noise levels in the interest of customer satisfaction.

AWD
There are two different categories of AWD systems. The first category is full-time AWD. This type of transfer case delivers torque to the front and rear axles at all times. This ratio can vary depending on the system, but is usually about a 30/70% front to rear split but also can vary depending on traction conditions, up to 100% front or rear. This type of transfer case can have a viscous coupling for low traction conditions along with a planetary gear set to allow for difference in speeds between the front and rear axle, or an open type of planetary gear set differential, which uses brake based traction control for low traction conditions. An example of a vehicle with an open differential/traction control type of transfer case is a 2003 Escalade. RPO codes for these types of transfer cases are NP3 (NVG 149, BW 4473 viscous clutch) and NR3 (BW 4476, 4481, 4485, open differential) or NR4/NR6 (BW 4493, 4494 open differential).

The second category is an on-demand AWD. This type of AWD basically delivers torque only to a primary driving axle unless reduced traction is experienced. At that point, the system electronically or mechanically will apply torque to the other axle. Depending on the type of system, this can provide up to 100% of the torque to the axle with traction. These transfer cases use an electronically actuated clutch pack, a hydraulically actuated clutch pack, or a viscous coupling to allow for a difference in speed between the front and rear axles. An example of an electronically controlled version of the On-Demand AWD is in the Smart Trak system in the 2003 Bravada. An example of a hydraulically operated On-Demand AWD is the Versa Trak system in the Aztek, while a viscous coupling is used in the Vibe. The RPO code for the Bravada is NP4 (NVG126). For some vehicle lines, there is not an RPO code. The only way to tell is by the Line Chassis VIN code, B for the Rendezvous/Aztek, V for the Venture/Montana or by SM for the Vibe.

PART-TIME 4WD
Part time 4WD refers to vehicles equipped with a transfer case to split power between the front and rear axles of the vehicle. This traditionally is a 2-speed selectable transfer case that can be shifted into 2HI, 4HI, 4LO and usually a Neutral position. The 4WD modes of Part time systems do not allow for a difference in speed between the front and rear axles while turning. This system effectively locks the front and rear propeller shafts together. When turning, the tires must allow for the different turning radius of the front and rear axles, which is why this is intended for low traction or off-road use. These systems have low range gearing for the transfer case. An example of a vehicle with this style of transfer case would be a Silverado with a manual shift transfer case (a shift lever on the floor) (RPO NP2) or a Colorado with a push button transfer case with a 2HI, 4HI, 4LO and Neutral position (RPO NP1). The RPO codes for this style of transfer case are NP1 (NVG 233, 243, 263, and T-150 push button) or NP2 (NVG 231, 241,261, BW 4401, 4470 shift lever).

FULL-TIME 4WD
A second version of a 4WD transfer case is a full-time 4WD transfer case. This style of transfer case has an open center differential to allow for different speeds between the front and rear axles and operates similar to an AWD system. This transfer case can be locked to operate like a Part-Time 4WD transfer case (no difference between front and rear prop-shaft speeds) and/or uses a traction control system to assist in low traction situations. These transfer cases also have a selectable low range. An example of this type of 4WD is the H2. RPO code is NR4.

The NR4 transfer case (available in non-luxury utilities) has no switch selection to lock into a part-time 4WD mode as described above. There are only 3 selections on the controls: Disable Stabilitrak, AWD and 4LO. The Owner's Manual describes this system as an AWD system.

AUTOMATIC TRANSFER CASES
The last category is a combination of 4WD and On Demand AWD. These transfer cases have a 2HI, Auto-4WD, 4HI, 4LO and Neutral position and would fall in the general 4WD category. This transfer case has the operating characteristics of both an On Demand AWD and a Part-Time 4WD system depending on the mode selected. This transfer case uses a clutch pack to allow for a difference in speed between the front and rear axles in the Auto-4WD mode. In the 4HI or 4LO modes, there is no allowance for the difference in speed between the front and rear axles. An example of a vehicle with this would be a Sierra with a push-button transfer case with a 2HI, Auto-4WD, 4HI, 4LO, and Neutral positions. The RPO code for these transfer cases is NP8 (NVG 226, 236, 246, 246 EAU).

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Always follow Strategy Based diagnostics and service information in Service Information (SI). SI is constantly updated with new and more thorough information.

One of the first steps that can be used in determining if a noise is a characteristic is to compare it to a similar vehicle. The comparison vehicle should be as close to the original vehicle as possible, including mileage, GVW, RPO, chassis style (extended cab, short-bed...).

Attempts to correct characteristic types of noise and/or feel should not be performed. In most situations, these conditions will not be changed. Any attempts to correct these conditions may reduce customer confidence and inconvenience the customer while their vehicle is out of service.

4WD
While operating 4WD vehicles in the 2HI mode, they should perform similarly to an equivalent 2WD version of the vehicle. However there are still additional components on the vehicles and there may still be some slight differences in characteristics. Some Part-Time 4WD transfer cases may make a slight gear rattle type of noise when operated in 2HI at low engine speeds, similar to a manual transmission gear rattle type of noise. This can originate in the synchronizer assembly from engine harmonics. This noise will usually be reduced or eliminated while driving in a 4WD mode because the synchronizer assembly clearances will be taken up once engaged in 4WD. Operating the engine at a slightly higher rpm should reduce this noise.

While a vehicle is traveling down the road, the tires rotate a certain number of times per mile depending on the true tire radius. If all the tires do not have the exact same true radius (due to load, tire pressure, wear, build variances...), they will turn at slightly different rates. Also, unless the vehicle is traveling in a perfectly straight line, the front and rear axles are traveling in a slightly different arc, which means the front and rear axles are traveling at slightly different average speeds.

These systems either do not have a center differential or it has been bypassed (when used in 4HI or 4LO in Part-Time or Automatic systems, or 4HI Lock or 4LO Lock on Full-time 4WD), so the front and the rear propeller shafts will turn at the same speed, which leads to the front, and rear axles rotating at the same average speed. Using the 4WD modes (4HI, 4LO, 4HI Lock, 4LO Lock) will usually increase noise in the axles, transfer case and the rest of the driveline and is usually greater at higher speeds and will usually increase the more the vehicle is turned. As the vehicle turns, the front and rear axles follow a different arc. When this occurs, the only place to compensate for this binding is between the contact patch of the tires and the ground. This can feel like the vehicle is vibrating, crow hopping or grabbing. Even if the vehicle is driven in a straight line, there are slight differences in tire circumference that will cause some driveline binding. If a vehicle had the exact same size tires and was driven in a perfectly straight line, the fact that more parts are moving would mean that there would be more noise and possibly some feel of the system operating.

Use of 4HI or 4LO and 4HI Lock or 4LO Lock on Full-time 4WD is intended for use on a low traction surface such as snow, ice, mud or sand. On a low traction surface, the differences in front and rear axle speeds will not have as much effect on binding because of the lower traction levels between the surface and the contact patch of the tires. On a high traction surface, the higher traction levels will create more binding and noise in the driveline.

As a result, a small amount of noise or feel of the system operating can be expected when using 4HI or 4LO in Part-Time or Automatic systems, or 4HI Lock or 4LO Lock on Full-time 4WD. The noise and feel can vary depending on the transfer case type, GVW ratings (generally the higher the GVW the more noise it will make), vehicle build variations, gear ratios in the axles, axle type, tires, and importantly driving conditions.

While the transfer case is in Neutral, with the engine running, some noise can be expected.

When transfer case is shifted to 4LO (or any time through or from neutral, for example from 2HI to 4LO or back) with the engine running, or with the vehicle moving, some grinding noise can be expected. In some vehicles you may experience a slight bump as the shift to 4LO is completed. This occurs because the 4LO range is not synchronized and there may be a difference in transfer case input shaft and output shaft speeds, especially if the vehicle is moving or equipped with an automatic transmission (residual torque from the transmission may be driving the transfer case input shaft). To minimize this noise the shift may be completed at a stop and in an engine off, key on mode. However, there may be an increased chance of having a blocked shift (some models must have the engine restarted to complete the shift). Noise and bump levels will vary between vehicles and even between shifts on the same vehicle. As a reminder, if attempting to determine if noise or bump experienced in one vehicle is a characteristic, be sure to compare to similar make vehicles. For example the shift to 4LO in a Colorado or Canyon will usually have more noise and/or bump feel than in a Silverado or Sierra. When driving in 4LO, the extra gear reduction will make additional noise compared to driving in 4HI. The automatic transmission shift characteristics will also feel different while operating in 4LO.

AWD
AWD systems are intended for use in high and low traction situations without operator input. These systems will generally be quieter on high traction surfaces than a similar 4WD used in 4HI or 4LO. However, these systems will generally make more noise than a similar 2WD vehicle simply because there are more parts rotating and more gear sets interfacing. Once again, these systems may make more noise in turns, and in some situations you may be able to feel the system operating, even on high traction surfaces. Additionally, you may feel transfer case operation in on-demand AWD systems. These systems generally react to a speed difference between the front and rear axle and it may be possible to detect this by hearing a noise, or actually feeling the engagement of the system.

Automatic Transfer Cases
Automatic transfer cases will have the characteristics of both the Part-Time 4WD and the AWD systems depending on the mode selected. If the transfer case is operated in 4HI or 4LO, it will behave as a Part-Time 4WD system. If it is operated in the Auto 4WD mode, it will behave like an on-demand AWD system.

Driveline noises in 4WD or AWD vehicles caused by loading may be mistaken for transfer case or front axle noise because they can sound very similar. Four-wheel drive noises caused by loading may exhibit the following conditions:

• The noise will be greatest on a clear, dry road and decrease on a low traction surface. Front axle or transfer case noise caused by bearings, ring and pinion, or planetary gearing will be similar on all surfaces.

• The noises or feel that can be expected will increase while making a tight turn.

• The noises may be changed from a deceleration to an acceleration condition (or acceleration to deceleration) by raising or lowering tire pressure at one end of the vehicle.

TIRES
Tire rolling rates can be a major factor in operational characteristics. Consider the following important items:

• All tires are the same size and brand. Tires of different brands may have different circumferences (or radius) even if they are the same size.

• Tires are set to factory recommended pressures. A tire with low air pressure will roll at a different rate.

• All tires have approximately equal amounts of wear. Tires with different amounts of wear will roll at different rates.

• All tires are the same tread type. Don't mix on-off road, all-season or street tires on the same truck as they may have different circumferences and roll at different rates.

• One or more of the tires may show small, short scratches around the circumference of the tire tread. The tire "scuffing" on the road surface causes these scratches.

#12 ·
This is a very touchy subject for tire retailers. you basically can't win. If you tell the customer he needs 4 tires instead of the 2 he asked for....he believes you're over selling. If you don't tell him you're being unprofessional.

Sometimes it's best to have the Sgt. Schultz syndrome......" I know nothing" !! Too often this is the case in today's consumer world.

#13 ·
Exactly, but once you crack open the owners manual or have them contact the dealer, it goes from "you are trying to rip me off!" to "so how long is it going to take to replace 4?"

ANOTHER good reason to rotate your tires, especially if you have AWD.

As for the tires, the tires cannot have more then a 1/4 inch of tread difference.

So that means if the fronts are bald, and the rear tires are 5/32's, while the rear tires have still 3/32'nds of tread life, you will need to replace them.

#14 ·
Thank you BigAl

Well live and learn. The dealer sold me the vehicle with the front tires with a high amount of wear to be politically correct. Not good. Almost cost me my life if you can believe it. Total TC lock up during a legal u-turn.
Scary SH@#t!.
Sweet ride btw.

Thanks again.

#28 · (Edited)
That would have prevented his problem in the first place. By the time the tires need changing all 4 of them would have been worn out.

As a side note, being I am a sales manager @ a Ford store. I know and even first hand that AWD's require same diameter tires on all 4 corners.

My wife's Safari AWD caught a nail in the sidewall of 1 tire that was "Unfixable". No problem, it was a Canadian Tire tire, and they have Road Hazzard warranty. But I was still looking at replacing 3 tires out of my pocket. Luckly I knew the Service Writer at the Canadian Tire that I was at. She worked all 4 under Road Hazzard so it only cost me the tread wear of the 4 tires. Something like $140.

#17 ·
Usually what happens is that the overall diameter acts like a larger gear ratio on that axle, causing the transmission to overheat trying to keep the wheels turning at the same speed.
This usually causes transmission failure first, but I guess thats what you experienced.

#18 ·
BTW....this is a big issue in aftermarket wheel and tire sales on many types of vehicles with traction control, TPMS, and many safety related systems. Very often the customer will insist in something you know is unsafe or potentially so, and the sales person will lose the sale if he/she is "too knowledgeable". The middleground is often hard to define between employeer and employee....let alone the retail customer.

#19 · (Edited)
I'm surprised a small difference like this really led to such issues, sounds like something else was happening...

the Rendezvous is AWD but it has a centre differential, it shouldn't really matter, if anything over a thousandth of an inch and the resultant speed difference, imagine what would happen if you turned a corner... like a U-turn, heh

This isn't like a 4x4 pickup with the stick, only a transfer case but no centre diff, and if you put it in 4x4 the transfer case explodes if you drive on asphalt, if you drive on snow/sand/gravel it doesn't matter because one of the tires will slip

#21 ·
4wd has less of an issue because you donthave to be in 4wd all the time.

With AWD, its on all the time. And yes, when you turn, the wheel spins at different speeds on the inside then outside, but that speed will vary depending on the overall outer diameter of the tire. I learned the hard way on a customer's Volvo. I had never heard of the AWD tire thing untill the Dealer called me to inform me that I was buying a trans because my employee put two tires on the car. I looked into it deeply, and couldnt belive it, but it made sense.

So from now on, if a customer doesnt belive me, he or she can go elsewehre and have thier transmission replaced.

#20 ·
Hi SAS,

It's very true. The front worn tires had at least a 1/2 inch difference in diameter. I'd say about 30k more wear then the new tires in the rear. I did have a near collision with a Semi during a U-turn. The TC totally locked up and re-engaged at the last second. The Semi had to screech his breaks to avoid me. Not good ;(
Love Saab's btw way. I can't believe I traded in my 2001 9-3 SE convert for this vehicle.

#32 ·
I like mine too (admittedly 10 years older)

I just don't see why it would cause so much issues, there should be allowance in the system (admittedly I've never seen specifications or blueprints for this setup) When you turn all the wheels turn at different speeds so I don't know why it locked up - it seems to me like the tires may have contributed but the big problem being something messy with the centre diff / power train itself.

#22 ·
You have a problem with a Buick and a case with GMC?

The awd systems are a lot less sensitive than they used to be, but I wouldn't put 2 tires on an awd vehicle with 30k.

On the old Syclones, the tires not only had to be replaced in sets of 4, they had to come out of the same batch to insure uniform measurement. If you tried to replace one or two especially with another brand, that thing would jerk your head off.

#23 · (Edited)
Thank you Mr. Critical.

Live and learn. The dealer sold me the vehicle with the two front tires with the 30k of wear. The rears probably had under 1k. I had to take it upon myself to purchase two new tires of the same model/size. The Rainier now performs flawlessly. Imagine that.
And yes the jerking and locking was not a safe pleasant feeling to say the least.
My question to readers is; Do you think Dealerships should train their Sales staff to understand the safety flaws involved in the sales practice of selling AWD vehicles with mis-match tire sizes/diameters?

Thanks Again,

Dave.

#25 ·
Thank you,

I've been in contact with my sales rep, the service admin and the GM there. They're all basically in hiding mode at this point unfortunately. I've even gone as far as to offer my free training. They really need to step up at this point. If it hasn't already caused a fatality it will.

#26 ·
If it helps, my Subaru owner's manual says the CIRCUMFERENCE, not diameter, of all the tires should be within 1/4'' of each other.

My dad is insisting on getting two new tires for the family AWD Durango, I keep telling him otherwise but hey I ain't gonna be the one paying for drivetrain components

#29 ·
Thank you DOH,

I wish I hadn't been so ignorant during the purchase of this vehicle regarding AWD tire sizing. I do have new tires on the vehicle now with free tire rotation. The main question is; Do you believe dealerships should have a well trained staff regarding this issue? I'm in a small battle with the dealership I purchased this vehicle from. All I would like is for them to enforce new safety policies.
You were very smart and caring to ensure your wife's vehicle is as safe as posible for her use.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.