Alero wont start

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alero wont start

Walking
    Thanks

Exclamation Alero wont start

I need some help!

Occasionally my 2000 Alero 2.4L wont start. When this happens, the vehicles security light comes on. I have been told to wait 15 minutes and it will go away but i have not been able to get any answers on why this is happening.

I have been researching on the internet and have come across a lot of other people who have this problem and have found various solutions from fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors all in all relating to the fuel system.

My car has been to the dealership soo many times they are unable to see what i am talking about. It is very speratic in the sense that it could start fine in the morning but after running into a store it wont start.

I am hoping that someone out their can provide some information, i find it weird that ive found so many people with similar symptoms but no concrete solutions.

thanks in advance
    Scott Smith

dirtyoldsmythe@hotmail.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Alero wont start

Well what do you mean it won't start?Does it crank?It sounds like you have a intermitten crank no start condition.Most likely you are having problems with the ignition lock cyl.The security sys is probably setting a B2960 code.You should have the ignition cylinder replaced.I would also replace the ignition switch at the same time.I have seen problems with this style ignition switch.Also you will pay the same labor to have them both replaced together.You will have to program the security sys after doing this work also.Any reputable shop will be able to do this.

Walking
    Thanks

the vehicle will crank i'm pretty sure thats not the problem. I have a feeling it is something to do with the fuel system. I start the car, it cranks but will not start and the security light goes on from this point.

The dealership's best guess was a fuel check valve? but wanted 800 dollars to do further testing.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSmith
    the vehicle will crank i'm pretty sure thats not the problem. I have a feeling it is something to do with the fuel system. I start the car, it cranks but will not start and the security light goes on from this point.

The dealership's best guess was a fuel check valve? but wanted 800 dollars to do further testing.
    Have them check for DTC's.What it sounds like is the Pass Lock sensor on your ignition cylinder is faulty.Yes it could be some fuel problem.But have them check this first.Especially if the security light is coming on.Sometimes what happens is after a certain amount of key cycles the PCM will clear a code.This code B2960 will set in the Body Control Module.I have probably replaced 100 of these lock cylinders.This cyl is used on many GM vehicles.The Impala.Malibu,Monte Carlo,Alero,Cutlass,etc..

Walking
    Thanks

To all Alero users whose car will not start:
    There is a simple reason for this phenomena: dust in the key hole obstructing the sensor.
    To fix the problem:
    -buy a can of compressed air (the same as you would use for cleaning keyboard dust- you can buy it at Best Buy, hardware stores etc)
    - place the thin extension "straw" (that comes attached to the can) on the nozzle
    - blow out the key hole (use at least half a can of the compressed air)
    - soak the key in rubbing alcohol for few minutes
    -dry the key
    This should work like a charm!!!
    I had the same problem with my 2001 Alero until I met a guy working for GM - got the information from "the horses mouth"

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

BS ^^^^

The system works off of a magnetic field generated when the sensor passes a magnet on the back of the switch when the key is turned. Dust would not affect that.

Its the pass lock sensor, I'd put money on it. In a way you are right Scott because when the problem happens the security system is disabling the fuel injectors so it is not getting fuel. I have done dozens of these on grand am's/alero's. 73chevelleSS is right on the money, it probably has a b2960 stored in the BCM, security code invalid
    Last edited by shadams; 08-29-2007 at 08:03 PM.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

This is a new one on me...I don't see where cleaning the lock cylinder would change the failure code. They key really has nothing to do with the security light on this type of lock cylinder...

Walking
    Thanks

Ya I agree it has to be the lock cylinder. Any one that tells you the compressed air is the fix they are blowing air sup some where else as well

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

It most likely is the ignition cylinder. Why do I say that? It happened to me.
    1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
    210,725 km
    130,938 miles

Walking
    Thanks

I have had problems for over a year with starting my 2002 Alero & have had it towed numerous times, only to be told later that it started fine for the mechanic.

I searched on-line and saw that this was a common problem & noted nearly 20 different solutions proposed. Yet, none of them appeared to be successful, and--like many other owners--I was ready to sell the car.

Well, I have finally solved the mystery & you will be amazed at how simple (and inexpensive!) the solution turns out to be.

Simply detach your car key from all other keys. That's it! For some reason, having additional keys attached somehow interferes with ignition.

This also explains why the damn car would always start for the mechanics--I only left them the single key! (I'd begun to think that the towing process somehow fixed the problem...)

So, give it a try! I sincerely hope that this trick works for all you frustrated Alero owners out there--
    Michael

Walking
    Thanks

Hey, I am a new member to this site but not new to this problem. I too have a 2003 alero and in the past have had numerous problems with the security light among everything else. You do not want to know how many parts I have replaced or how many visits to the garage I have had. Anyway my current problem is now this. Yesterday I started my car fine. I went to work, came home, went to school, came home, went to pick my daughter up after school at her friends house and then WALKED home, when I put the key in the ignition and turn the ONLY thing that happens is the lights come on, nothing else. There is absolutly no sound, clicking at all. I tried to get it jumped, nothing. I remembered the last time this happened and the security light was blinking, but not this time. what is the problem. i am really tired of fixing and replacing parts on this car.
    Last edited by vanillaswirl; 02-03-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: add more information

Walking
    Thanks

Please if anyone is able to help me I would really appreicate it. I have already missed work, school and a very important doctors appointment (EMG TEST) today.

Thank You,
    Carrie Rose

vanillaswirl.1@netzero.com

Walking
    Thanks

If anyone has any true answers, i would also appreciate it. I too have a 2003 Alero that won't crank. This car has been in the shop for 2 months now and they have tried everything possible. they seem to get it running for a day or 2 and after sitting up over night it wont crank the next day. After all this the mechanic finally gave up and sent it to the chevy dealership, and they had it now for 2 weeks with no reliable solution. It seems that there is no hope.

Any anwers?

Walking
    Thanks

I had this happen about a year ago on my Alero (2001). I asked the mechanic about it and he seemed confident (it this sounds reasonable) that the security light comes and disables the car if the car detects peculiar behavior that is not typical of the owner. This may include someone else trying to access your car with a similar key, starting and stopping often (may explain why one of the responders above had to walk home after his stop/go day), turning the key in the ignition improperly, etc.

Walking
    Thanks

Also, I asked him how why turning the key in the ignition and leaving it for 10 minutes gets around this problem, and he said that it resets the security system. Why that works is up to the programmers of the computer in the car. (I applaud their attempt for security implementation, but not for their programming final decisions.) BTW, turning the key to On for 10 minutes worked for me.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information