Acadia White Diamond Paint Issue

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acadia White Diamond Paint Issue

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Acadia White Diamond Paint Issue

Yesterday evening while exiting the Acadia I noticed something that I haven't noticed before. The paint where the A-pillar meets the fender is becoming discolored, and it's on both sides. It looks like there is some rail dust on the fender pad that have turned to specks of rust, but how did the paint get discolored?

Here are a few bad pictures to show the issue:

Andrew - Facebook - Flickr - KD5FHW
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado C1500 ECSB LS
    2001 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT
    2008 Pontiac Torrent
    2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT Turbo - The Thread

Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 72lemanscvbl's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Acadia White Diamond Paint Issue

let us know what the dealer says because that looks bad. good luck

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Minnesota Nice's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually, the first time I saw an Acadia in Michigan, it was this color, and as it passed me, it had this just underneath the tinted glass on the back, but above the license plate.

I thought it was dirt or dust or something,but it was the exact same color...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Try some clay magic, it may just be environmental fallout, and it has nothing to do with the vechicles finish. Clay Magic will remove it without a problem. If it is actually a problem with the paint then I'd take it to the dealership, cause that isn't right.

Thanks

Take it to the dealer and see what they have to say. Any type of clay bar product should remove that

Thanks

I'm taking it over to the dealer this week. I like my dealer, but it kinda sucks that it's 45 minutes from my house and an hour plus from my grandparents' house. I don't want to take it to another dealer because I know how well I was treated when I had my GMCs and how well my sister has been treated with her Pontiac there.

I really don't think it's on the surface though, and as I've done lots of drooling over it since we picked it up and never noticed it so I don't think it was a screw-up in the paint shop at the factory. There is someone on the Acadia forum with Summit White that is doing the same thing, but not as severely. I'm curious as hell as to what it could be.
    Last edited by AndrewGS; 09-02-2007 at 11:36 AM.
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT
    2008 Pontiac Torrent

Thanks

I'm with the others. Try a clay bar first and the take it to the dealer. Look in your manual about environmental fallout.
    Mercedes: Irrellevant in todays market.

"I would never consider owning a Buick because of the sheer stigma of owning a Buick, no matter how good they got;"
    -Mgescuro the follower.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGS
    I'm taking it over to the dealer this week. I like my dealer, but it kinda sucks that it's 45 minutes from my house and an hour plus from my grandparents' house. I don't want to take it to another dealer because I know how well I was treated when I had my GMCs and how well my sister has been treated with her Pontiac there.

I really don't think it's on the surface though, and as I've done lots of drooling over it since we picked it up and never noticed it so I don't think it was a screw-up in the paint shop at the factory. There is someone on the Acadia forum with Summit White that is doing the same thing, but not as severely. I'm curious as hell as to what it could be.

This is a long-shot but the information may help you:

I puchased a new 1999 Covette coupe - Artic White. Soon after purchase, the holes in the door handle openings (where the metal key is inserted for the lock) began turning yellow - just like your picture. The door handles are painted the same color as the car.

I learned later that GM issued TSB #83-17-04 regarding the door handles on numerous white GM models turning yellow. The cause was clear and/or white grease that was used to lubricate the lock cylinder tumblers migrating out of the lock and staining / discoloring the white paint. The cure was to replace the cylinders and use a new type of black grease (for white cars).

Is it possible that you and/or your dealer sprayed some type of lubricant onto the door hinges (inside the rear of the front fenders), which stained the paint?

Good luck - let us know what you determine.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member
    Thanks

Eeek, I wouldn't touch it until the dealer has had a look at it! If you fiddle around they might not be willing to take care of it. Looks yucky though... hope it's something easy to remove.
    All are heartily encouraged to check out and join the Facebook group for my automotive blog: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theautomotiveattic/

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Yes, please keep us informed.
    2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 -- 63,000 miles
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT -- 98,000 miles

Family: 2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ, 2012 Chevrolet Volt; 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS; 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD; 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT; 2005 Chevrolet Impala

Thanks

Well, I took it to the dealer today and both the service writer and the body shop estimator were stumped and had never seen anything like it. I told them that another forum member (Acadiaforum.net) had experienced the same thing on a Summit White Acadia, so it's not a one-time anomaly.

I'm dropping it off next week to have a possible bad tire replaced, update the transmission sortware and let the body shop see what they can do about the paint issue.
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT
    2008 Pontiac Torrent

Thanks

I know this is an old thread but we just bought a new Acadia so I have been searching the Acadia threads and came across this one which peaked my interest. AndrewGS did you get this resolved? I noticed that I have a similar issue with the Red Jewel Tricoat on our '09. It looks like what you were seeing is even more prevalent on the darker colors. It looks like the color coat coverage is minimal and the base primer is showing through. Not real noticeable unless you are looking close.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Minnesota Nice's Avatar
    Thanks

Also bumping an old thread, but man...why anyone would even consider a Toyota or Honda SUV when the Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, and Outlook exist is beyond me. These cars are utterly beautiful, inside and out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhopper View Post
    I know this is an old thread but we just bought a new Acadia so I have been searching the Acadia threads and came across this one which peaked my interest. AndrewGS did you get this resolved? I noticed that I have a similar issue with the Red Jewel Tricoat on our '09. It looks like what you were seeing is even more prevalent on the darker colors. It looks like the color coat coverage is minimal and the base primer is showing through. Not real noticeable unless you are looking close.
    Yeah, the dealer repainted the affected area. I looked at a bunch of Acadias yesterday while showing them to my cousin and I didn't see any with the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota Nice
    Also bumping an old thread, but man...why anyone would even consider a Toyota or Honda SUV when the Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, and Outlook exist is beyond me. These cars are utterly beautiful, inside and out.
    I don't know either. My cousin is in the market and she was just about sold on the Acadia when her husband brought home a Lincoln MKX to look at. For the price of an Acadia SLT-1 with the Tow Package they can get an MKX with SatNav and I think that's the route they're going despite the Acadia being larger and much more capable. Either way they're getting out of a Toyota and into an American car.
    Last edited by AndrewGS; 01-04-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT
    2008 Pontiac Torrent

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota Nice View Post
    Minnesota,

I thought you left GMI for good.

And the Highlander is a damn good alternative to those Lambdas. Little bland, but all the crossovers are.

I think the Acadia, Veracruz, and Highlander are the best in the segment. The Pilot may be a good performer, but its just so ugly.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information