AC Delco parts versus GM part# parts

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Delco parts versus GM part# parts

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Grand Prix GT/2001/Navy Blue

AC Delco parts versus GM part# parts

Is there a difference between AC Delco parts and GM oem parts? Are they identical with just different part numbers or are they different some of the time? I want to buy OEM bearings for the font of my '01 Grand Prix. I can get a good deal on AC Delco bearings, are they the same?

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    2003 8.1L 2500 4x4 Suburban
    2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: AC Delco parts versus GM part# parts

Quote Originally Posted by WishIhadatruck View Post
    Is there a difference between AC Delco parts and GM oem parts? Are they identical with just different part numbers or are they different some of the time? I want to buy OEM bearings for the font of my '01 Grand Prix. I can get a good deal on AC Delco bearings, are they the same?
    Why would you want OEM bearings for your GP, considering that they are garbage

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Buy the Delco there the same as GM, but the parts have been updated since 01. And your bearings lasted 10 years, not bad.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    Why would you want OEM bearings for your GP, considering that they are garbage
    What company makes ones that aren't "garbage"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Buy the Delco there the same as GM, but the parts have been updated since 01. And your bearings lasted 10 years, not bad.
    I posted this in another forum in their maintance section. The consensus was poor install, likely using an impact wrench. What do you think? The bearings in my '94 GP lasted 212k miles and 13 years and were still fine when I gave the car away. The '01 original bearings might still be fine if not for some major pot holes. See my story below.

Here is the quick story with my 2001 Grand Prix.

*Early spring 2008, hit a HUGE pothole (twice). Growling noise 2 weeks later.

*Late spring 2008, mechanic replaces driver side front wheel bearing (Napa part). All is quiet.

*Late spring 2009, more growling noise. It gets worse, I go back to the mechanic. I've also got popping noises when turning sharp as I back out of my garage. They replace my lower ball joints (getting some play), replace my struts and strut mounts (popping sound), and replace both bearings in the front (drivers side under warranty).

*2 days later, it seems like all is good but around 65-70mph I still hear a growling noise. They replace the driver's side bearing again. It is like a new car again.

*Jan 2010, bad growling noise. Around Feb 1 my mechanic replaces both front wheel bearings again, both under warranty.

*In Feb or March it seems like I can hear bearing noise again but my tires are so noisy I can't tell for sure. Late March I remove my 9 year old Blizzaks and put on brand new Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires. Tire noise is gone but I hear bearing noise around 55-65mph. If I swerve right it disappears but under certain right sweeping turns it also gets lounder. Maybe both are bad again?

Why do they keep going bad? Are the replacements just junk or is there something else with my car that can be causing them to go bad? I'm tempted to buy some ACDelco bearings and install them myself, I'm pretty sure I can handle the job. The only thing holding me back is wondering if there is another problem I don't know about that could cause my bearings to go bad so quickly. I'd hate to install new ACDelco ones just to have them go bad as well.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 1500 Z71

If the axle nut is wailed on and the rear bolts are not torqued then yes its possible that it can ware them prematurely. But then again, try and find a shop that doesn't do that.

I believe another good bearing company is Timken.

Nova Omega Ventura Apollo gets you NOVA, genius isn't it?

Occupy Wall Streeters should go occupy their homes...or a job...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newdude View Post
    If the axle nut is wailed on and the rear bolts are not torqued then yes its possible that it can ware them prematurely. But then again, try and find a shop that doesn't do that.
    I'd be inclined to agree with the axle nut being overtorqued as to the reason why they go bad so often. It could also be that they are buying the cheap bearing line from Napa as well. We refuse to install the cheap line bearings actually simply because of the ridiculous failure rate even when torqued correctly.

We use the Delco bearings all day long. We use SKF when the Delco bearing isn't available and have no problems with them either.

Thanks

I'm sure no expert but about all the bearings I see today are Chinese. Comparing these closely to older USA or European bearings I can actually see a difference in the finish of the race and the rollers. I wonder if it's actually possible to buy quality bearings anymore? Note the GM wheel bearings I seen in the last twenty years have plastic separators between the rollers, OK I guess, but sure doesn't give much of a secure feeling.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by W.A.F.U. View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree with the axle nut being overtorqued as to the reason why they go bad so often. It could also be that they are buying the cheap bearing line from Napa as well. We refuse to install the cheap line bearings actually simply because of the ridiculous failure rate even when torqued correctly.

We use the Delco bearings all day long. We use SKF when the Delco bearing isn't available and have no problems with them either.
    I've cancelled my appointment with my mechanic since my trust in their ability is broken now. I'm planning on ordering some AC Delco bearings unless someone says something to change my mind. The backup plan will be the top level Napa SFK bearings. It doesn't look to be that bad of a job.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Timkin bearings are WAY better than the AC Delco parts. I replaced my front bearings in my Grand Am before I knew any better and bought one of each. I learned about 2 months later that the AC Delco bearings were CRAP when they went out again. I replaced it with a Timkin unit and no problems.

My brother now owns the car and its been almost 35k on the older unit and about 32k on the newer one and neither are giving him problems. Spend the extra dough on the Timkin unit.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

If im not mistaken-- JUST IN CASE you buy Timkin----
    I believe I had seen a post on the Trailblazer forum-- where someone bought Timkin hub assemblies (bearings) on Amazon.....
    Turns out they were chinese Fakes.

found the thread- theres pics of the item....

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...=fake+bearings

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

If a GM dealer installs specific GM part#'s I believe they have lifetime warranty.

AC/Delco=not.

I believe GM crate engines not for high performance have longer warranty as well.
    Last edited by MrCritical; 04-21-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: ...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Timkin bearings are WAY better than the AC Delco parts. I replaced my front bearings in my Grand Am before I knew any better and bought one of each. I learned about 2 months later that the AC Delco bearings were CRAP when they went out again. I replaced it with a Timkin unit and no problems.

My brother now owns the car and its been almost 35k on the older unit and about 32k on the newer one and neither are giving him problems. Spend the extra dough on the Timkin unit.
    We use AC Delco bearings all the time. If the failure rate was just 1/10th of what you seem to think it is, we wouldn't use them as it would be detrimental to our business.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

We use AC Delco bearings all the time. If the failure rate was just 1/10th of what you seem to think it is, we wouldn't use them as it would be detrimental to our business.
    What did GM use? It was detrimental to their business

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

For the price difference, I would go with Timkin especially on N and W body cars as they fail quite often thanks to GM engineering the ABS sensor in the bearing and not making the electrical wiring long enough. When you go full lock on the steering wheel, it pulls the wire tight and can eventually cause it to crack. The Timkin units have about an 1" longer wire so they dont do it.
    Just that time again to ignore certain people. I'm certain they will continue to try and instigate and antagonize while throwing up their arms saying they did nothing but are here on a civil basis. Not worth the time seeing how some just seem to know all.

Thanks

I don't remember ever seeing AC Delco bearings in any car I've ever owned. Maybe a sealed module?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information