ABS/Traction Control Light

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS/Traction Control Light

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

ABS/Traction Control Light

My ABS light and my Traction Off light are coming on in my Grand Prix. It started yesterday and would stay on at start up and later on would come on a little while after I started driving. Then last night and once today (I only have driven this car twice today) it didn't come on at all and when I did panic stops, the ABS system worked. I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE with the 3.1L V6 and ABS with Enhanced Traction System.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Re: ABS/Traction Control Light

What swear words have you tried so far?

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

You'll have to get it checked, the traction control is part of the abs system, basically works the same as the abs just at opposite times. If you accelerate hard and lose traction, the abs kicks in and applies the brakes to stop the spinning. Anyway, when the abs has a DTC set, it disables the trac system which is why the trac off light comes on. It could be anything from a wheel speed sensor to the EBCM, the module that controls the ABS and anything in between. I would say the most common would be a wheel speed sensor which unfortunately is part of the wheel hub. $$$$!
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

Thanks

How much do you think this will cost? What I don't get is that the ETS system is engine based and doesn't use the brakes to control spinning so it's weird why both lights are on because it isn't the engine/brake based system that's on the GTP.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    How much do you think this will cost? What I don't get is that the ETS system is engine based and doesn't use the brakes to control spinning so it's weird why both lights are on because it isn't the engine/brake based system that's on the GTP.
    Both systems rely on each wheel speed sensor reporting back to the pcm. If one sensor experiences an open circuit for even just a tenth of a second, the PCM turns both system off.

My Grand Am started to do this shortly after I bought it used. It would always be the right front sensor error. Bearing was fine so I filled the connector with dielectric grease. Drove the car for over a year after before getting rid of it and the light never did come back on.

Thanks

I see. If it doesn't seem to get better I'll have to take it in I guess.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    It uses both on both actually. Option NW9 is traction control and is the same on both cars. The only difference is that the GTP says TCS OFF instead of TRAC OFF, go figure. Anyway, here is how it works.

When drive wheel slip is noted while the brake is not applied, the EBCM will enter traction control mode.

First, the EBCM requests the PCM to reduce the amount of torque to the drive wheels via the requested torque signal circuit. The PCM reduces torque to the drive wheels by retarding spark timing and turning off fuel injectors. The PCM reports the amount torque delivered to the drive wheels via the delivered torque signal circuit.

If the engine torque reduction does not eliminate drive wheel slip, the EBCM will actively apply the drive wheel brakes. During traction control braking, hydraulic pressure in each drive wheel circuit is controlled to prevent the drive wheels from slipping.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

Thanks

Hmm interesting. I'm not looking forward to having to take the car in as I'm not loaded with money right now. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

Most likely it's just a wheel speed sensor but I have seen a bad wheel bearing cause the same thing because of vibration.

Thanks

Hmm good to know.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Before you take it in, try inspecting and cleaning the sensor terminals. My scanner showed bad signal at right front sensor on daughter in law's Alero. I disconnected and cleaned the sensor, ran meter checks back to ABS controller, and cleaner the master plug at controller. Applied very light coat of dielectric grease to sensor terminals. Light out for almost a year now.
    I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep up with all the current technolgy. Visit my blog at: http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickMN
    Before you take it in, try inspecting and cleaning the sensor terminals. My scanner showed bad signal at right front sensor on daughter in law's Alero. I disconnected and cleaned the sensor, ran meter checks back to ABS controller, and cleaner the master plug at controller. Applied very light coat of dielectric grease to sensor terminals. Light out for almost a year now.
    I have no clue where the sensors would be. If I hadn't just graduated I'd ask my auto mechanics teacher but unfortuately school's out. I think I'm just going to take it in next week if it keeps on coming on.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

wheel speed sensor.

all W cars have problems. had 3 grand prixs they have all had wheel speed sensors that fail.

get a multimeter, check your resistance of each sensor. should be around 1k ohms. if its like 1M ohm, then its junk, or if it reads OL its junk.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Thanks

Great, thanks for the help. I'll take it in and get the sensors looked at.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

no problem
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information