ABS light stays on?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ABS light stays on?

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

ABS light stays on?

Hi guys, Is there a way to test the ABS system to see why my light stays on, with out going to a dealer or shop? I have a 94 Buick Regal, and the light will stay on. Thanks for your help. Happy New Year!
    Regards, Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Re: ABS light stays on?

the best way is with a scan tool that can read ABS codes (especially a GM tech II device) It won't tell you exactly what is wrong with the ABS but it can help pinpoint which wheel sensor is acting up. However the price of most scan tools is literally thousands of dollars (out of reach for most do it yourselfers) so the best bet is to take it to a shop and have them run a scan to see which wheel sensor is causing the light to stay on
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post
    While I realize you asked for a way to check it without taking the car in, I am led to give you other advise. Take the car in, an illuminated ABS light means your brakes are compromised! Your life, someone in your family, or another person is in mortal jeopardy!

If you cannot afford it, park that vehicle and do not drive it!

Not really...my dad's '93 Saturn's ABS light came on every time it rained and the brakes were fine.

Sometimes the car just throws a random code because the sensor's screwed up. Doesn't always mean there's a problem.

Nevertheless, I'd get it checked out just to be sure.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

If the sensor's screwed up, that would indicate a problem, yes?

I wouldn't take it to the dealer. Replace every part on it, and you'll probably fix it. The heck with those dealers.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Not really...my dad's '93 Saturn's ABS light came on every time it rained and the brakes were fine.

Sometimes the car just throws a random code because the sensor's screwed up. Doesn't always mean there's a problem.

Nevertheless, I'd get it checked out just to be sure.
    For once, we agree.

Drive it through a BIG puddle to see if that dislodges some dirt around the sensor, then take the wheel off and check the sensor itself.

My mechanic did just that, and the brakes were, and are, fine, just a month or so back. Yes, I tested the ABS on some ice afterward.

Gawd I hate ABS. Sigh.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post
    While I realize you asked for a way to check it without taking the car in, I am led to give you other advise. Take the car in, an illuminated ABS light means your brakes are compromised! Your life, someone in your family, or another person is in mortal jeopardy!

If you cannot afford it, park that vehicle and do not drive it!

I hope that is sarcasm Paul.

The abs light being on means the abs system has detected an error and turned itself off. This leaves you with normal braking just like we had for many years before abs was around.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

my friends abs light on her cavalier was always on she drive the car for 2 years like that with no problem. she did take it to the dealer and they wanted some crazy amount to fix it like $500 or something that they still didn't know if that would fix it.

Walking
    Thanks

I had the same exact problem. I took an 8 inch flat head screwdriver and a 28 ounce eastwing framing hammer and drove the screwdriver through the abs light and badabing it went out and stayed out never to come on again.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

tech 2 will, but will not work with this year of vehicle. car is equipped with OBD1, tech 2 is OBD 2. now, you can hook up a tech 2 to OBD1 but it wont give any more information than what a tech 1 will.

jumpering the pins at the ALDL will flash DTC's on the IPC or through the HVAC display depending on vehicle. regal should have the ABS light flash the codes. not sure what pins to jumper, will have to look that up. but basically its just like checking for an SES light on an older vehicle, except different pins- maybe pin 9.

most likely, probably an ABS sensor or circuit fault. could be a wheel speed sensor, or a hub that has some play in it causing it, or could be a broken wire to a wheel speed sensor. or worse case scenario, would be possibly a EBCM.

pull the flash codes, figure out what code it is, then go from there.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Caprice LSx 6.0 liter

Quote Originally Posted by paulmozzi View Post
    Hi guys, Is there a way to test the ABS system to see why my light stays on, with out going to a dealer or shop? I have a 94 Buick Regal, and the light will stay on. Thanks for your help. Happy New Year!
    Regards, Paul
    What wheels / Tires (size) are on the Regal ? has there been any work on the car that someone would have changed rear end gears and if so did they put the same ratio back in the car? All of the above mentioned will trip a ABS light. Not saying that these are your problems but a few things to check..

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information