98' SUNFIRE stalling issue

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 98' SUNFIRE stalling issue

Walking
    Thanks

98' SUNFIRE stalling issue

Hi,
    Hoping for help
    I have a 98 2.2L Sunfire that wants to stall at low rpm, (when engine is at operating temp).
    - Outside temp has been cold –15 degree cell. And it starts good. Idles fine.
    - I warm it for about 15 minutes then drive it, the car will run fine until about the time the temp gage is within the operating range. As soon as it get within that range when I come to a stop it will stall out. All the dash will stay lit and the blower fan is still running. I can restart it with no problem(I have to hold the gas down), but will stall out again. If I keep some RPMS on the engine I can throw it into drive and drive it until I take my foot off the gas. Again if I throw it in Neutral I can start it and drive. It’s like if the RPMS drop below 1000 it wants to stall………..
    - BUT if the car sits for 5 minutes the problem goes away until the car starts to heat up. IT did this to me 2 times now this month. But then it will go away and drive fine.

- Maybe related issue I use to notice that some times when I was driving with the blower fan going if I was to touch the brake the fan would die out and come back for a split second. ( I thought it may be a bad ground. And the Anti-lock brake Motor was robbing some power.) But this stalling at low RMP seems different because I have not touched the brake yet).
    Not sure if this would be a Crank sensor issue.
    Any help would be nice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 98' SUNFIRE stalling issue

That is typically an ignition module problem.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Walking
    Thanks

Should this be something easly found by the GM dealer. It looks like the part is around $300 (Advanced auto parts)...wow i just don't want to spend that yet untill it is the problem...
    Last edited by nothingrealy; 01-19-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nothingrealy View Post
    Should this be something easly found by the GM dealer. It looks like the part is around $300 (Advanced auto parts)...wow i just don't want to spend that yet untill it is the problem...
    Ya, that's the problem, you'd be throwing $300 at it an not knowing for sure it's the problem. One thing you might be able to try is if you know someone with the same car, or one that uses the same module, you can switch and see if the problem moves with the module or not. If it does, there's your problem. If not...back to the drawing board.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks Uzzy, I just thought ignition module problems were more with no spark no start issues. SHould th pc not have picked up a code on the ignition module?

Thanks

Thanks Uzzy, I just thought ignition module problems were more with no spark no start issues. SHould th pc not have picked up a code on the ignition module?
    Sometimes they'll work OK, until they heat up. Operating temp for the engine, doesn't mean optimum temp for the elctronics. If its heat dissipation ability was compromised in any way, it'll exhibit these problems. The PCM won't always pick up on it. If one cylinder was mifiring, it could tell you that, but when the engine just stalls and shuts off, it won't really know what did it every time, necessarily.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks again Uzzy,
    I did notice in the summer i could feel a missfire on the engin, New pulgs wires, still there. But in the winter the idle(rpm) was higher we did not notice. Do you think the missfire and the breaking issue are related to the ignition module.? I do these Sunfires are victume to egr-valve colgoing up- makes them run like crap so i clean ours all the time.

Thanks

Thanks again Uzzy,
    I did notice in the summer i could feel a missfire on the engin, New pulgs wires, still there. But in the winter the idle(rpm) was higher we did not notice. Do you think the missfire and the breaking issue are related to the ignition module.? I do these Sunfires are victume to egr-valve colgoing up- makes them run like crap so i clean ours all the time.
    The brake and fan thing sounds more like a bad ground like you thought. The brake lights might have been sucking too much juice and left the fan with none for a moment.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Walking
    Thanks

next step is to figure what i am going to do about the ignition module. Think i should get one from the scrapyard.

Thanks

next step is to figure what i am going to do about the ignition module. Think i should get one from the scrapyard.
    That's another option, but electronics from a scrap yard are sketchy to say the least. That's why swapping with one that you know is working is best, but if you don't know anyone with the same car, that's hard.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Walking
    Thanks

update.... i took the car for a drive and i could not get it to stall out...hmmmmm. The last 2 times it happen it was in the morning with cold weather.

Thanks

update.... i took the car for a drive and i could not get it to stall out...hmmmmm. The last 2 times it happen it was in the morning with cold weather.
    It knows you were telling others, so it's being good for a while. It's scared, it doesn't want someone messing around under the hood.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Walking
    Thanks

Uzzy . to be honest i hope you are right. that way it is fixed... i just want it to happen again so i can add more info. Man they are just so $$$$$$$$.

Walking
    Thanks

today was the perfect conditions for it to happen again and nothing. the engine was warm and the rpms kicked down to about 800. but no stalling. At one point i saw the rpm drop to about 450-500 and then the engine kicked it up to 1000 then drown to 800 again. And this is just sitting at a stop sign.

Next is i was playing with the power issue. when i pusted the brakes the car would slow and somtimes the blower fan would stall or slow for a bit but come back to full while stoped. I did notice that when I let go of the brake and push the gas (just slow) i could hear a click from the behind the firewal and the fan would die again and come back.. IS this click the Anti lock brake moter letting go?

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information