454 Big Block Gas Mileage Improvement

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 454 Big Block Gas Mileage Improvement

Walking
    Thanks

454 Big Block Gas Mileage Improvement

I'm looking for suggestions (creative and otherwise) on how to improve gas mileage on a '97 GMC K2500 with a 454 big block engine (gears are 4.10, I think??). I know about all the basics - keep tire pressure up, new plugs/wires, etc., keep your foot off the gas as much as possible, etc., etc. I'm also aware that these engines weren't made for mileage. They're made for working and towing. All that aside, what about adding headers? Will this help the mileage or hurt it? What about a performance exhaust? Would a K&N air filter help? Has anyhone had success doing any of these things? What have you had success with? Thanks very much for your input. I look forward to reading your replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 454 Big Block Gas Mileage Improvement

First of all, I love this engine. I stupidly sold my '71 ElCamino 454 SS years ago.

The air filter and the headers will increase mileage somewhat, as long as you don't drive more agressively to feel and hear the newfound power.

The best fuel mileage increase I found was slower takeoffs and cruising at 60-65 mph instead of 70 and above. I believe my benefit was somewhere around 1.2 to 2.1 mpg.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Uplander 03 Bonne 00 K2500

What kind of mileage do you get out of your '97? I get about 12 out of a 2000 K2500 crewcab. 7.4L with 4.10 rear end.
    Last edited by steelmanwy; 02-16-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Dodge Charger

here is my list:

- Like you said, start with the basics, new fuel filter, new plugs and wires, new cap and rotor. Also, throw in some synthetic oil, this helps a little bit, also better for your engine while towing.

- Definitely add a high flow intake, also a throttle body spacer. Put a high flow muffler on it as well. These 454's respond a lot to these add on's. Remember an engine is just like a big air pump. The faster you can get air in and out, the more effecient it becomes. Headers help a little bit, but in my opinion, on the newer trucks just stick with the manifolds.

- Add a performance tune ( superchips, hypertech, or even a custom tune ). Not only will this add power, these can really help with mileage.

- If you are really serious, you can get a gear vendors overdrive as well. If you have 4:10's, this would really help while cruising down the highway. They aren't cheap, about $2500, but they make a big difference.

I have done pretty much all the above ( except for the overdrive ) and went from 13 city, 18 hwy to about 14-15 city and 21 hwy. Not a huge gain, but it has a lot more power too. From what I have seen, big blocks respond even more.
    Current Whips:
    1979 Chevy K10 Stepside (350 4-spd, waiting to be restored)
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 (Z71, 80,000 mi, leather,5.3 )
    2007 Kawasaki KLX 250 (street legal dual sport, 70 mpg, woo hoo!)
    2011 Dodge Charger (3.6 V6)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 dr.gizmo's Avatar
    Thanks

How many thousands are you willing to spend to save a couple of pennies on gas? You will get the most bang for your dollar by driving right. Pretend there is a raw egg rolling around in the bed of your truck and drive in such a way that you keep the egg from breaking.
    30 Year Gm Dealer Tech.
    GM World Class Tech with 9 certs.
    ASE Master with L1; 12 certs. total

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr.gizmo View Post
    How many thousands are you willing to spend to save a couple of pennies on gas? You will get the most bang for your dollar by driving right. Pretend there is a raw egg rolling around in the bed of your truck and drive in such a way that you keep the egg from breaking.
    I always said pretend there is an egg under the gas pedal.

18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Dodge Charger

Quote Originally Posted by dr.gizmo View Post
    While I agree with you 100% on it is mostly in your driving style, there are some cheap gains to be had.

Like I mentioned earlier, I gained 4 mpg on the highway with just a few basic mods.

Tune-up ( fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotor ) & synthetic oil change = $150
    High flow intake and intake spacer = $300
    High flow muffler = $200
    Performance tune = $300

So for a total of roughly $950, I gained 20% in my highway mileage. Not to mention, I probably gained 20 hp and 30+ ft. lbs. of torque.
    Current Whips:
    1979 Chevy K10 Stepside (350 4-spd, waiting to be restored)
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 (Z71, 80,000 mi, leather,5.3 )
    2007 Kawasaki KLX 250 (street legal dual sport, 70 mpg, woo hoo!)
    2011 Dodge Charger (3.6 V6)

Walking
    Thanks

Wouldn't a better tranny help too...something like a 700r4? ya kno with overdrive?
    and what ratio would be a well over all good ratio for the rear axle?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Babbit View Post
    Wouldn't a better tranny help too...something like a 700r4? ya kno with overdrive?
    and what ratio would be a well over all good ratio for the rear axle?
    A '97 ought to have a 4L80 which would include overdrive.

For mileage on a big block I'd pick the lowest possible axle ratio. There's enough torque available
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information