3800 series 1 oil pump

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3800 series 1 oil pump

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

3800 series 1 oil pump

i have a 1990 buick riviera and how hard would it be to do a oil pump on mine

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 3800 series 1 oil pump

Shouldn't be too hard as it is under the front cover.

Why do you think it needs replaced?

Have seen cars around that year that would occasionaly have the oil pressure bypass seize in the front cover and not build proper oil pressure.

Highly recommend diagnosis and tear down BEFORE ordering parts.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

well i replaced my oil pressure switch cause my oil pressure gauge was bouncing al the time and so then after i replaced it went down alot and so i checked my oil pressure and its suppose to be 40 to 80 psi and mine barely read it so i reved the car just to make sure it actually worked and it was about 8 psi

Thanks

I'd try a test gauge before tearing into it but the oil pump can be serviced by removing the timing cover. Not too bad to do with the engine left in the car.

Also may want to check the oil pickup screen in the oil pan. I had good pressure but when I went to replace my pan gasket I found a lot of sludge on it. I did switch to synthetic oil after the car had like 150k miles so its debatable on how that got there. On the 3800 car boards it does not seem to be a widespread problem
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

well ive been putting sythetic in ever since i had the car with 60000 on it and now it has 142 on it. or i would rip the engine out and put a series 2 s/c in it but idk how much of a hassle that would be either

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riviera35 View Post
    well ive been putting sythetic in ever since i had the car with 60000 on it and now it has 142 on it. or i would rip the engine out and put a series 2 s/c in it but idk how much of a hassle that would be either
    You could say I've been there, done that...not for the faint of heart
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

well i replaced my oil pressure switch cause my oil pressure gauge was bouncing al the time and so then after i replaced it went down alot and so i checked my oil pressure and its suppose to be 40 to 80 psi and mine barely read it so i reved the car just to make sure it actually worked and it was about 8 psi
    Oil pumps don't usually wear out much. Usually if the oil pressure is low you usually have worn main bearings in the engine and the oil is just spraying out too fast and the pressure goes down. If the engine is making big knocking noises, either rebuild it or replace with a junkyard unit. If the engine makes no bad noises, ignore it and keep driving You may wish to check that the oil pressure overpressure valve isn't stuck open by taking it out and cleaning it. Watch for the big spring it's a PITA to put back.

Also I am not sure if you did but check the pressure at the right spot with a mechanical gauge and also a rough rule of thumb is about 10 PSI per 1000 RPM when warm. If it idles warm at 8 I wouldn't worry - as long as there is some pressure. F14 has a good point about oil sludge clogging the pickup tube. I wouldn't think synthetic oil changes to necessarily mean it is not your problem, and removing the oil pan is a hell of a lot easier than the oil pump unless there is some kind of crossmember in the way.

To me the main thing that would keep coming to my mind is that it's a 3800 Series I, just go get a new one from the scrap heap

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

ok well ill rip off the oil pan and check the oil pick up. but do u think a series 2 s/c would fit

Thanks

ok well ill rip off the oil pan and check the oil pick up. but do u think a series 2 s/c would fit
    it's "the same" engine, it'll bolt in. Your problems are controlling it and handling the power after it comes off the crankshaft

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

so all i need is the the trans, computer and the wire harness. or do u think id be better off getting a car that got rear ended that has a series 2 s/c and use the parts if i need other parts i can use the parts out of that car

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information