3.8 turbo to Supercharged

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.8 turbo to Supercharged

Walking
    Thanks

3.8 turbo to Supercharged

I ve heard of a few people converting their '87 3.8 Gn turbo engine to supercharged cars using the same m90 supercharger and hardware from the 3800sc engine. Is this actully possible and what kind of modifications would I have to make???

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 3.8 turbo to Supercharged

Why would you want to change it from a Turbo to SC?

Thanks

as far as i know the fwd s/c won't work on the rwd engines. cause i've heard the speculations from v6 camaro owners

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

Not sure about the logic here either. Maybe to be different. You might find someone makes a conversion kit somewhere, but I wouldn't have a clue where to find it. There are superchargers that are fairly generic models too. I think Eaton do make them. Based on engine size they have a few generic models of the superchargers, and I'm pretty sure I read a long time ago that the M90 was one of them. However, I highly doubt that you could pull a s/c off the fwd 3.8's and drop it on the rwd 3.8's.
    http://www.automotive.eaton.com/prod...erchargers.asp

Check out that link and see what you can find.

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chev454ls's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Travis B
    as far as i know the fwd s/c won't work on the rwd engines. cause i've heard the speculations from v6 camaro owners
    The V6 in the newer Camaros is the same exact motor you'd find in say, a Grand Prix GT, so there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to throw an M90 on there (with other supporting mods of course). However, we're talking two different setups. I think you'd have to be out of your mind to take the turbo off the 3.8 in a Grand National and slap a supercharger on there. There is so much you can do to it as is. I think it'd be more work to do it than it'd be worth. I think the blocks are totally different, so you'd have to find a different intake manifold and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by chev454ls; 11-21-2004 at 07:56 PM.
    '97 GTP
    '65 Impala Convertible

Thanks

I do not understand why you would want to do this, as the engine will most likely be making less power.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

Why would you go from the most efficient boost producer to the worst. I'm sure with enough money anything is possible but the logic doesn't make sense.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Maybe he doesn't like turbo-lag

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I'd stick with the Turbo if I were you. I havn't heard of anyone supercharging a TR, but I have heard of people using the newer block. The L67 is supposed to be stronger then the LC2, but getting easier to find. Slap on a Camaro intake manifold and your set.

-T
    -T

87 Buick Lesabre T-type (supercharged)

88 Buick Lesabre T-type (daily driver)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

One of the Horsepower tv episodes had Mr Banks of Banks Engineering give an overview and the advantages of turbocharging (versus supercharging). His company builds twin turbo V-8's that put out one heck of horsepower.
    One of the advantages of turbo is that it is not parasitic regarding Hp. The supercharger is driven off the motor thus using horses. Regarding turbo lag, he stated that condition has disappeared (I would assume that the turbos are much larger and that the waste gates are used to trim them at high rpm's).
    After listening to his spiel, I wonder if it is more logical to buy a GM car with a 3.8 then add the turbos (plus other modifiers) than to go supercharged.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69nova
    One of the Horsepower tv episodes had Mr Banks of Banks Engineering give an overview and the advantages of turbocharging (versus supercharging). His company builds twin turbo V-8's that put out one heck of horsepower.
    One of the advantages of turbo is that it is not parasitic regarding Hp. The supercharger is driven off the motor thus using horses. Regarding turbo lag, he stated that condition has disappeared (I would assume that the turbos are much larger and that the waste gates are used to trim them at high rpm's).
    After listening to his spiel, I wonder if it is more logical to buy a GM car with a 3.8 then add the turbos (plus other modifiers) than to go supercharged.

My friend slapped a turbo kit from http://www.stattama.com/ on his '98 Monte Carlo. Ran 12.0 @ 117 or so. Not bad eh? There's a few others who have put on the kit and I think have ran 11.5 on a stock GPGT..

Fastest NA LTZ in the US?

199.6 hp/213 tq at the wheels.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

With the success that GM had with the GNX's and that motor using a turbocharger, why did GM opt for the supercharger on the 3.8's for the Pontiacs and Chevys? Wouldn't they have fed upon the Buick GN's rising popularity by installing the same power train in the MC's, GP's and Impalas? This is a question rather than a statement since other factors are also involved.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

With the success that GM had with the GNX's and that motor using a turbocharger, why did GM opt for the supercharger on the 3.8's for the Pontiacs and Chevys? Wouldn't they have fed upon the Buick GN's rising popularity by installing the same power train in the MC's, GP's and Impalas? This is a question rather than a statement since other factors are also involved.
    The Eaton is dirt cheap and easy to install on an assembly line. Also turbos are harder to get through emissions testing.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

GM was working on both in the late 80s and actually had several working prototypes with FWD turbos, but in the end the Supercharger one out because of problems with cold start emissions. There were other benefits as well but that was the number one reason.

-T
    -T

87 Buick Lesabre T-type (supercharged)

88 Buick Lesabre T-type (daily driver)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

At the time in the mid 1980's:

GM had the turbo 3.8 making lots of horsepower (330+) reliably.

But there wasn't a car that could take it, save the Corvette (yeah, sure) and the F-body (maybe).

The Regal ended up getting the motor at a low tune, since the body already had been using the turbo 3.8 since it's debut in ~1978. (@165hp)

The FWD cars couldn't take the power, both in the body and the transmission in particular.

The Regal couldn't even take the power, and even the T-Type and GN got a detuned version that accelerated the car faster than a Corvette from launch, but couldn't even touch 200km/h due to the lame, flexy bodyshell and perhaps some "can't beat a Vette" mentality....

Then turbo cars started to fall from grace as the 1990's came around, with spiralling insurance rates when they heard the word "turbo" and cold-start emission troubles, and the very bad PR that "turbo lag" got.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information