2011 Traverse bluetooth

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2011 Traverse bluetooth

Walking
    Thanks

2011 Traverse bluetooth

I just bought a 2011 Traverse without the bluetooth connectivity pkg.I was wondering can I have it installed now or is it to late,the car is a 2LT. The sales person said I would have to be installed as an aftermarket product. I was also wondering about adding remote start. Not very tech savy so any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2011 Traverse bluetooth

I am not trying to be mean, but why didn't you have them find you/order one with bluetooth and remote start?

Anyway to answer your question...bluetooth can be added by changing out the Onstar module. This will run about $300 for the part. Remote start can be added with a GM accessory (not cheap either).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ed753's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by gto4ibf View Post
    I am not trying to be mean, but why didn't you have them find you/order one with bluetooth and remote start?

Anyway to answer your question...bluetooth can be added by changing out the Onstar module. This will run about $300 for the part. Remote start can be added with a GM accessory (not cheap either).
    Here is the kicker, the whole package is only $340.....

Personal Connectivity Package:

Includes Bluetooth for phone (for select phones), remote vehicle start with extended-range remote keyless entry and 3-channel programmable universal home remote with garage door opener.

In order to choose this feature, you also need to add: -Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system -Remote vehicle start -Universal Home Remote

I think the other (bigger) question is why the freak doesn't a $35,000 Traverse 2LT have Bluetooth in 2011 yet a $15,000 Kia Soul + does?........

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Jim8- yes you should be able to add remote start to your Traverse.
    As for bluetooth-- the other option Ive heard traverse owners install is some unit called the PARROT- or something like that-- But I think that was a trav. owner who had an LS.

Quite a few threads on remote start- and bluetooth over at
    www.traverseforum.com you can also join the Acadia, Enclave, Outlook forum as the vehicles are very similar--- and you can learn alot from the other sites.

go join us over there.... I have a 2010 Traverse.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jim8 View Post
    I just bought a 2011 Traverse without the bluetooth connectivity pkg.I was wondering can I have it installed now or is it to late,the car is a 2LT. The sales person said I would have to be installed as an aftermarket product. I was also wondering about adding remote start. Not very tech savy so any help is appreciated.
    I am in the same boat ... but regarding the remote start, according to my dealer this is just a software download from GM. I don't know what the associated costs are. On the bluetooth all I was able to get from my dealer in an email is that "GM Corporate does not support this" ... I am not sure what means. But in conversation with service department they are saying that they "think" that all that is required is a software update to the existing xm-radio/Onstar configuration

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Screw991le's Avatar
    Thanks

Bluetooth is integrated into the On-star box. Othes, like us G8 owners are retro fitting older onstar boxes with new ones, and the BT works like factory. You are going to need a BT OnStar module from a Traverse that has it and a BT antenna.
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    2011 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Screw991le View Post
    Bluetooth is integrated into the On-star box. Othes, like us G8 owners are retro fitting older onstar boxes with new ones, and the BT works like factory. You are going to need a BT OnStar module from a Traverse that has it and a BT antenna.
    Screw991le: - So if I understand you correctly there is no need for a s/w download it is already there, which makes sense -

Since my previous post I had occasion to speak to the service people again and they more or less confirmed what you stated about needing a BT antenna and the BT module, although they still seem to be in the dark about the s/w. I will call them on Monday and pass on to them what you said.

BTW, how is it that you know that?
    Last edited by Leonel; 01-29-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks

What people are doing is unplugging the older onstar boxes. Getting the BT one. Hitting the onstar button, they send a download to get the new box to your truck. That is how it is working on the G8 cars.

I know this because the G8 owners are doing this. Also some Camaro and Caddy owner's are doing it.

Search Ebay for the modules and check some other GM forums.
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    2011 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Thanks

Screw991le: actually what I meant was how do you know that the BT s/w is integrated into the OnStar boxes - in a way it makes sense to produce fully featured boxes especially when additional h/w is needed to activate it but I wanted to make sure before I purchase the VCIM and the antenna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leonel View Post
    Screw991le: actually what I meant was how do you know that the BT s/w is integrated into the OnStar boxes - in a way it makes sense to produce fully featured boxes especially when additional h/w is needed to activate it but I wanted to make sure before I purchase the VCIM and the antenna
    Because the boxes the G8 people are changing too are all plug and play. The BT uses the onstar interface to use your phone. Google to see if anyone else has had good luck with the BT boxes.

Like I said, I know the Tahoe people are also doing it, and of course the G8s. The G8s are special because they use a CAN BUS system and can only use 3 different boxes.
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    2011 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Thanks

Thanks for your reply ... I have been googling on this subject for days, that is how I got to you. Most of the search results are about changing to the new VCIM - similar to your G8 issue, but I am starting to get a sense that the modules on the new vehicles only need to have the BT antenna plugged in to it to get the bt to work but I just can seem to get any confirmation to that.

Thanks

The part numbers are different, some OS models do not have BT built in. Cost maybe? Because if that was the case the part numbers would be the same for all GM cars.

Why they make dozens of different models is beyond me. Make one model, mass produce it, activate it if the customer pays for the option and call it a day.

But that makes sense, and since when does GM make sense?
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    2011 Chevy Traverse LTZ

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information