2010 GMC Terrain issues - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 GMC Terrain issues

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Re: 2010 GMC Terrain issues

Yes, that is why Im asking. Knowing GMs literature, sometimes it doesnt really differentiate between the two.

This sucks though. Vehicle has less than 6k miles on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Well i went and drove it after my wife got home from work. Can really tell that something is up with it especially after just coasting and then gettint back into the throttle. It really bogs down and you have to release the pedal and them get back on it. Hopefully this will fix it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Well i went and drove it after my wife got home from work. Can really tell that something is up with it especially after just coasting and then gettint back into the throttle. It really bogs down and you have to release the pedal and them get back on it. Hopefully this will fix it.
    Is it in very low RPM? The 2.4L likes to rev low and almost feels like it wants to stall, but was actually designed this way.

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Trust me, its not normal. It really does stumble and the only way to get power back is to let off the gas and reapply it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Trust me, its not normal. It really does stumble and the only way to get power back is to let off the gas and reapply it.
    When I had the Equinox, it did it as well, but just in Eco mode. It felt like it was about to stall. I can't really comment on yours since I have no idea if what you are feeling is different than what I had.

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

It does it in both modes. This is my 3rd Ecotec motor but obviously the first DI one.

Its not normal. The car kind of surges and then looses all power no matter how hard you pushing the throttle. The only way to get it back is to release the throttle, wait a second or two and then hit it again.

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Well, I got to drive the Terrain with the new fuel pump. Total difference. Engine is WAY quieter. Even with the windows down going through our apartment complex, it sounds like a normal engine. No more hesitation like before. I cant believe I never noticed it before.

Part # for the fuel pump is 12639694

It also stated that our old oil had fuel in it. How they tested it I have no idea but it states it on the work order statement.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

basically whats happening is the regulator is getting stuck. the new high pressure pump will have a new design probably to eliminate this. the way you were describing it almost sounded like a trans issue, like we hear with people all the time on the 6 speed trans. which is a completely normal issue, but your concern has a dtc associated with it.

the fuel system on the direct injected engines is pretty unique. they take the standard fuel pump in the tank which provides about 50-60 psi of pressure and use that to pump fuel to the engine. then the engine has a fuel pump that is driven off the camshaft that will boost fuel pressure to around 1200-2000 psi depending on demand of fuel, being idle, cruising - WOT. the high pressure pump driven by the cam is what they replaced.
    this pump delivers the fuel directly to the cylinder, as the injector is located in the head, like a diesel engine, as opposed to a normal fuel engine where the injector is placed in the manifold runner - which would be port fuel injection, or multiport fuel injection - however you want to look at it. they do this for better fuel atomization. this in return can provide better fuel economy and more power, and lower emmisions. this is possible because it is pumped directly to the cylinder, and sprayed, not fogged like a multiport system. multiport basically has the fuel delivered to the runner where it sprays, then it is sucked in along with the air mixture into the cylinder when the intake valve opens. so actually it works out better as well for carbon buildup on the valves because the valves are less prone to have fuel and carbon buildup since the fuel doesnt dribble into the cylinder when the valve opens. all in all - direct injection is way more efficient, and cleaner. the downside to it is basically what you have experienced, you can be forcing in too much fuel if it malfunctions, and also repairs will be more costly down the road, all pipes must be replaced when serviced, from the HPFP to the injectors, as well as the injector seals. so after 100k warranty expires, good luck. nice thing about it though we havent seen alot of problems with it. so they have engineered it pretty well in my opinion, aside from servicing it.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08 View Post
    basically whats happening is the regulator is getting stuck. the new high pressure pump will have a new design probably to eliminate this. the way you were describing it almost sounded like a trans issue, like we hear with people all the time on the 6 speed trans. which is a completely normal issue, but your concern has a dtc associated with it.
    Does that mean most of the pumps in vehicles right now (our 'Nox, I4/FWD, built in October) has a pump with this failure waiting to happen?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

It has been stated on the Equinox Forum that the HP fuel pump used by GM between Sept 2009 and Feb 2010 on the 4-Cyl engines in the Nox were not up to GM quality standards. It has caused excessive noise and now we hear when it fails and is replaced the noise level is much less and I presume from an earlier post that it will function better. So, yes I think it is gonna happen. Hope it is still under warranty when it fails.
    Actually I was going to the dealer for some other issues and will get them to flash for the DTC. Maybe I can get it replaced before it fails.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccharlie View Post
    It has been stated on the Equinox Forum that the HP fuel pump used by GM between Sept 2009 and Feb 2010 on the 4-Cyl engines in the Nox were not up to GM quality standards. It has caused excessive noise and now we hear when it fails and is replaced the noise level is much less and I presume from an earlier post that it will function better. So, yes I think it is gonna happen. Hope it is still under warranty when it fails.
    Actually I was going to the dealer for some other issues and will get them to flash for the DTC. Maybe I can get it replaced before it fails.
    No real excessive noise when compared to a coworker who had one built in March. And now I look at the 5 yr. warranty statement and the fuel system is explicitly exempted. Great. This is why I'm leery of 1st year models. I'm a member of the equinox.net forum and will check there. I quit visiting there due to some really dumb things I've seen written there.

I did a quick search on that forum for the issue but couldn't find it outside of Bballr's problems. Care to pass along the link(s) thread(s)?
    Last edited by tnmats; 08-06-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

I hadnt even realized how loud ours was UNTIL it was replaced. The new unit is really that much quieter. I wish I could find the manufacture date on the pump.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I do not have the info with me but I will check my files and post when I find it. I think the issue even goes back to Nov 2009.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

2010 Equinox Fuel Pump failure - gas in oil - P0172

As for the fuel pump. My wife said it was a P0172 code. Why they want to replace the fuel pump is questionable to me.
    Thanks for submitting this item to the forum. I am having the same issue with my 2010 4 cyl Equinox. It noticed on my way to work that it was running a little rough. At stop lights, the RPM fluctuated down then up, almost like it was missing, but not quite. It revved up too high. When stepping on the gas to go, there was a hesitation. When I dropped my wife off at work, I noticed a rough idle sound from the exhaust and a lot of rotten egg odor. None of this was normal for my vehicle.

When I arrived at work and shut off the engine, it dieseled for about one second. Really wierd. After work, it started fine and drove fine until I got off the xway after 10 minutes and everything started to happen again. Then the check engine light came on. I stopped at AutoZone for a free trouble code check and it came back P0172 - too rich.

Dieseled to a stop at home, then Googled the trouble code and found this thread. So, here is what happened next....

To shorten the story, I made some inquires to friends at GM and found that it is indeed a problem with the high pressure fuel pump. A seal inside the pump can fail, allowing fuel to get into the oil. There was so much fuel mixed in with the oil, that when I shut off the car, oil in the cylinders ignited and caused the dieseling. Oh yeah, my oil was BLACK from the fuel and dieseling. You may be able to smell fuel in the oil.

The problem has happened before and GM is aware of it. Failure usually occurs on vehicles with under 6k miles. My vehicle just turned over 50k. The GM guy said they are very interested since they have not had a seal fail at high mileage. Probably because nobody else has 50k on their vehicle!

I dropped the car off at the dealer for repair under the 100,000 mile Powertrain warranty. They had to order the pump, but I get a free loaner until the job is done. Oil change is included in the repair.

A bonus is that my vehicle is one built with the ticking pump. Although the ticking has mostly gone away, the new pump includes the fix - and hopefully a better seal. So it should be quieter.

The dealer told me they also noticed a transmission leak. I don't know any more on that but that's another story I can discuss when I get the car back.
    Current vehicle: 2010 Equinox 2LT...170,000 miles
    1970 YTD miles driven...1,872,000 miles
    I buy 'em to drive 'em!

Thanks

Re: 2010 Equinox Fuel Pump failure - gas in oil - P0172

Quote Originally Posted by kzf3m8 View Post
    Thanks for submitting this item to the forum. I am having the same issue with my 2010 4 cyl Equinox. It noticed on my way to work that it was running a little rough. At stop lights, the RPM fluctuated down then up, almost like it was missing, but not quite. It revved up too high. When stepping on the gas to go, there was a hesitation. When I dropped my wife off at work, I noticed a rough idle sound from the exhaust and a lot of rotten egg odor. None of this was normal for my vehicle.

When I arrived at work and shut off the engine, it dieseled for about one second. Really wierd. After work, it started fine and drove fine until I got off the xway after 10 minutes and everything started to happen again. Then the check engine light came on. I stopped at AutoZone for a free trouble code check and it came back P0172 - too rich.

Dieseled to a stop at home, then Googled the trouble code and found this thread. So, here is what happened next....

To shorten the story, I made some inquires to friends at GM and found that it is indeed a problem with the high pressure fuel pump. A seal inside the pump can fail, allowing fuel to get into the oil. There was so much fuel mixed in with the oil, that when I shut off the car, oil in the cylinders ignited and caused the dieseling. Oh yeah, my oil was BLACK from the fuel and dieseling. You may be able to smell fuel in the oil.

The problem has happened before and GM is aware of it. Failure usually occurs on vehicles with under 6k miles. My vehicle just turned over 50k. The GM guy said they are very interested since they have not had a seal fail at high mileage. Probably because nobody else has 50k on their vehicle!

I dropped the car off at the dealer for repair under the 100,000 mile Powertrain warranty. They had to order the pump, but I get a free loaner until the job is done. Oil change is included in the repair.

A bonus is that my vehicle is one built with the ticking pump. Although the ticking has mostly gone away, the new pump includes the fix - and hopefully a better seal. So it should be quieter.

The dealer told me they also noticed a transmission leak. I don't know any more on that but that's another story I can discuss when I get the car back.
    Your post has me baffled in one respect: doesn't the 5 yr. powertrain warranty specifically exempt the high-pressure fuel system bits? I would think this wouldn't be covered by the warranty (although I'm happy to be wrong). Please keep us posted.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information