2008 Equinox LS Troubles

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2008 Equinox LS Troubles

Walking
    Thanks

Question 2008 Equinox LS Troubles

Well where to begin. After getting the dreaded P0300 code I have so far replaced the camshaft position sensor and the coil pack. Is there any learning procedure needed to be done for the new sensor? I also plan on replacing the spark plugs and wires soon also. Currently sitting at 97,000 Km. I have been noticing some hesitation and bucking with the engine on the highway. I have cleaned the throttle body, plan on cleaning the MAF sensor tonight due to the rough idling I experience when I am sitting at stop lights. Do I need to perform the throttle body learning procedure like I would with the 2007 Equinox? Is the IAC valve integrated within the throttle body on this particular engine? (3.4L V6) Also wondering what effect the EGR valve has on this engine? Found a hole in the EGR tube/pipe and attempted to patch with muffler putty as I don't have $300+ just for the part. Any help/suggestions would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: 2008 Equinox LS Troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Solericardo View Post
    Well where to begin. After getting the dreaded P0300 code I have so far replaced the camshaft position sensor and the coil pack. Is there any learning procedure needed to be done for the new sensor? I also plan on replacing the spark plugs and wires soon also. Currently sitting at 97,000 Km. I have been noticing some hesitation and bucking with the engine on the highway. I have cleaned the throttle body, plan on cleaning the MAF sensor tonight due to the rough idling I experience when I am sitting at stop lights. Do I need to perform the throttle body learning procedure like I would with the 2007 Equinox? Is the IAC valve integrated within the throttle body on this particular engine? (3.4L V6) Also wondering what effect the EGR valve has on this engine? Found a hole in the EGR tube/pipe and attempted to patch with muffler putty as I don't have $300+ just for the part. Any help/suggestions would be great.
    if you have a p0300 set, you probably dont have an issue with the cam sensor.
    most of the time, we see spark plug wires, or plugs that create this issue on this vehicle.

replace your plugs and wires, you should be good.

also there is a recall on these vehicles for plug wire replacement. maybe you can check with your local dealer, and see if it is covered.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Walking
    Thanks

When was the recall announced for the plug wires? I had the vehicle in earlier this year and the dealership had told me there were no outstanding recalls on the vehicle. The camshaft sensor was also for the engine flutter I get without DTC.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

When was the recall announced for the plug wires? I had the vehicle in earlier this year and the dealership had told me there were no outstanding recalls on the vehicle. The camshaft sensor was also for the engine flutter I get without DTC.
    give me your VIN number, I will check it out for open recalls.

as far as the cam sensor goes, honestly without having an active DTC, there really is no point to replacing parts, as you dont know what exactly the problem is. dont take it the wrong way, not trying to sound like an a%%.

it is possible the misfire can be involved as to why your vehicle is hesitating. just depends on how bad the misfire is. other than that, you can try cleaning the throttle body, and doing an FIS to the vehicle. without having a DTC for a component related to a hesitation, and being that you have a DTC for an misfire, i would fix the misfire first.

Walking
    Thanks

VIN is 2CNDL23F286048943

I had found a PIP about the camshaft sensor and its connections that was related to the engine flutter so I figured I would give it a shot.

I have cleaned both the throttle body and the MAF sensor now. Is there a learning procedure that needs to be done after the cleaning? Still no real difference in performance. Still have no power going up hills and getting hesitations and bucking. Going to disconnect the O2 sensor on the cat tonight and see if that makes a difference with the lost power. Hoping to find something out soon as it is a pain in my a$$.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

VIN is 2CNDL23F286048943

I had found a PIP about the camshaft sensor and its connections that was related to the engine flutter so I figured I would give it a shot.

I have cleaned both the throttle body and the MAF sensor now. Is there a learning procedure that needs to be done after the cleaning? Still no real difference in performance. Still have no power going up hills and getting hesitations and bucking. Going to disconnect the O2 sensor on the cat tonight and see if that makes a difference with the lost power. Hoping to find something out soon as it is a pain in my a$$.
    Just ran the VIN on GM's VIS.

this vehicle does apply to special policy 10250. sorry it isnt a recall, but looks like it should be fixed free of charge.

#10250: Special Coverage Adjustment - Spark Plug Wire Warranty Extension - (Jan 31, 2011)

Subject: 10250 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Spark Plug Wire Warranty Extension

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Equinox

2007-2009 Pontiac Torrent

Equipped with a 3.4L Engine (LNJ)

2008 Chevrolet Express, Silverado

2008 GMC Savana, Sierra

Equipped with 4.3L Engine (LU3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Condition
    Some customers of 2007-2009 model year Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent vehicles equipped with a 3.4L engine (LNJ), and 2008 Chevrolet Express, Silverado; GMC Savana, Sierra vehicles equipped with a 4.3L engine (LU3) may comment about rough engine operation and the illumination of the Check Engine Light. This may be caused by spark plug wire boots that do not provide a sufficiently robust dielectric seal to withstand the high voltage required to fire the spark plugs.

Special Coverage Adjustment
    This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. Dealers are to replace all spark plug wires and, if necessary, the spark plug. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after January 5, 2011, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to January 5, 2011, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
    Involved are 2007-2009 model year Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent vehicles equipped with a 3.4L engine (LNJ), and 2008 Chevrolet Express, Silverado; GMC Savana, Sierra vehicles equipped with a 4.3L engine (LU3).

All involved vehicles are identified by VIN in the Global Warranty Management System - Investigate Vehicle History (GMVIS2) Application in the Applicable Warranties section. Dealership technicians should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.

Parts Information
    Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Part Number
    Description
    Qty/ Vehicle

89018131*
    Wire Kit, Splg (LNJ)

89060518*
    Wire Kit, Splg (LU3)

Spark Plug (LNJ)
    1 (If Req'd)

Spark Plug (LU3)
    1 (If Req'd)

* Not eligible for RIM initially for US and Canada, until sufficient inventory levels are reached.

Service Procedure
    •Connect a scan tool and start the engine.
    •Determine if any cylinders have a misfire condition.
    • If a misfire condition is present or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) PO300-PO306 are current or set in history, remove all of the spark plug wires and replace them with new spark plug wire set. Refer to Spark Plug Wire Replacement in SI. Proceed to Step 3.

• If a misfire condition is NOT present in any cylinder, do NOT replace the spark plug wires. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information in SI to determine the cause of the problem. Repairs that are not related to this Special Coverage must be billed as warranty, customer pay, or goodwill.

•Remove the spark plug from the misfiring cylinder. The spark plug should have evidence of carbon tracking (1). Replace the spark plug that shows evidence of carbon tracking. Refer to Spark Plug Replacement in SI.
    •Clear DTCs using a scan tool.
    Customer Reimbursement - For US
    All customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for the special coverage condition will be handled by the Customer Assistance Center, not by dealers.

A General Motors Customer Reimbursement Procedure and Claim Form is included with the customer letter.

Important: Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement and the form.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada and Export
    Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by January 31, 2012. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 193,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

- Proof of ownership at time of repair.

- Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.

Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada
    The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information
    Submit a transaction using the table below.

Labor Code
    Description
    Labor Time
    Net Item

T5800
    Diagnostic Time Only - No Repair Required
    0.1-0.3
    N/A

T5801
    Spark Plug Wire Replacement

N/A

-- Equinox/Torrent

-- Silverado/Sierra

-- Express/Savana

Add: Diagnostic Time
    0.1-0.3

Add: Spark Plug Replacement

T5802
    Customer Reimbursement (not for use by US GM dealers)

* The amount identified in "Net Item" should represent the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer.

Customer Notification
    General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

January 2011
    Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2007-2009 model year Chevrolet Equinox or Pontiac Torrent vehicle, or a 2008 Chevrolet Express, Silverado; GMC Savana or Sierra vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2007-2009 model year Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent vehicles, and some 2008 Chevrolet Express, Silverado; GMC Savana, and Sierra vehicles may exhibit rough engine operation and the illumination of the Check Engine Light. This may be caused by spark plug wire boots that do not provide a sufficiently robust dielectric seal to withstand the high voltage required to fire the spark plugs.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the spark plug wires. If this condition occurs on your 2007-2009 model year Chevrolet Equinox or Pontiac Torrent vehicle, or 2008 Chevrolet Express, Silverado; GMC Savana or Sierra vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193.000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by January 31, 2012. If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer.

If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division
    Number
    Text Telephones (TTY)

Chevrolet
    1-800-630-2438
    1-800-833-2438

GMC
    1-866-996-9463
    1-800-462-8583

Pontiac
    1-800-620-7668
    1-800-833-7668

Guam
    1-671-648-8450

Puerto Rico - English
    1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español
    1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
    1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Jim Moloney

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks for that. Have to get a scanner and see if that code is still there as I did reset it a little while ago and don't know if the CEL has been coming on because of a misfire or a different problem. Still suspecting the EGR valve though for the loss of power and the hesitations.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

loss of power ? hesitation knock sensor as my 1 suspect timing retard ?

Walking
    Thanks

Ok. Got the Nox into the dealer and they found that three of the six cylinders were misfiring. They replaced the effected wires and plugs with no charge to myself because of teh special coverage. Thanks again for that info too. I was weary about going to the dealer because of the costs that usually come as a result of a visit to the dealer. Now just have to try and find a good place to buy an EGR Pipe. Mine has a hole in it and the dealer wants $325 just for the pipe. Any suggestions where to find one or how to patch a hole in the pipe?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Shouldn't that be covered under the emission warranty?

But I suppose if you have already been to the dealer for the other issues
    and they spotted it and IF it was under the emission or new car warranty
    they would of taken care of it.

Walking
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the EGR pipe is not covered under the warranty. I know that the valve isn't covered so assuming the pipe isn't either. Speaking of valve, mine went kaput. Sounded like the exhaust manifold went under the hood with the valve stuck open. Car was bucking all over the place and hard to start when engine was hot. Got it home and replaced the valve and gasket the next day. Reset the check engine light (P0404) and now all is fine. Well engine wise anyway.

Walking
    Thanks

I know this is a fairly old thread, but info may still be useful. had the same problem, GM dealer replaced the "fauly" wires only, a few months down the road I had a worse problem on a weekend and was traveling ---bought a new set myself lifetime warranty NGK. ----- Q- why does the GM policy strictly offer to replace the faulty wires when you know that with already previously replaced wires you have a problem? ------ I was refused the reimbursment although I had the bill.
    Q- I don't think the replacement wires are of better quality, so this is a bandaid solution anyway. the main reason may is most likely elasewhere ---- high voltage ----- main cause probably undetermined!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Base Impala

This is a very interesting thread.

I have a 2007 Torrent approaching 112K miles. I had a time or two when the engine almost stalled at idle. I cleaned the intake as far as I could reach past the throttle plate with the intake hose off (more gummy dirt there than you would think). Seems to be OK, or maybe not running hot idle over the winter has just not put me in a similar running situation. Getting warmer and idle is getting a little rougher. Will have to keep an eye on the misfire. It has not thrown a code yet.

I have noticed that my engine uses oil. About a quart every 1000 miles. Started using oil at even 60K miles. I tries synthetic, same thing. I think a quart every 800 miles is the "standard", so at my 100,000 point the dealer would do nothing. The engine has always been noisy too. So far works OK.

Walking
    Thanks

can anyone run my vin number to see if my vehicle falls within the bulletin for plug wires?
    2cndl53f386331076
    Last edited by tippi; 07-09-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added vin number

Walking
    Thanks

vin 2CNDL53F386331076. Does my vehicle apply to this Special Coverage Adjustment. Mine is doing the exact thing around 40-50 mph

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information