2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

  1. #1
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    348
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    Hey

    I was looking in the book and it said how if you want this feature disabled, you hold the power button on the mirror for 6 seconds and the dimming feature is disabled.. however everytime you restart the vehicle it comes back on. My vehicle is tinted and I want to disable it from coming on in the first place. There has to be a fuse for it I can remove however in the manual I didn't see the fuse # or location for "auto dimming mirrors".. (assuming its not on a shared fuse)

    Any ideas on how to disable it from turning on from start?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    348
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    bump.

    So far my only solution is to cover the senor on the mirror with something that blocks all light, but I have a feeling it still dims a little. Any solutions possible for disabling the auto dim?

  4. #3
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    11,235
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    I don't think there is a separate fuse for the auto-dimming part in the mirrors. It's probably shared with something else, something that you probably want working. I'd just cover up the sensor with some black electrical tape or something like that.
    I'll make a new sig. Later.

  5. #4
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    348
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    Yeah I was afraid of that. Once covering the sensor worked, another time it didn't ... bleh. I guess I'll use a round piece of electrical tape to cover it, but it kind of sucks having to do so...

  6. #5
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,341
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    And that is why you do not tint beyond manufacturer's original tint.

  7. #6
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    348
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    A lot of people do it. And to add, I thought it was too dark before I even put any extra tint on the rear of the vehicle. From the day I picked up the vehicle, I was turning it off. On my 06 impala its one quick button push which I don't mind but with the tahoe its a 6 sec hold thats annoying.

  8. #7
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    3,377
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    I'm not aware of any way to do that without affecting something else as others have said, but I did find out it also disables it in reverse.

    Oh yea, about the tint thing, give me a break. Thats probably the most popular add-on/mod done on the face of the earth. I've got 5% on my truck all the way around.
    Last edited by shadams; 01-12-2007 at 02:50 PM.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

  9. #8
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,049
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    The mirror dims in proportion to how much light is hitting its sensor. Since the tint blocks most of the light, the mirror doesn't darken as much. So the lights you see in the mirror shouldn't really be darker than if your windows weren't tinted. In theory, anyway.

    You could disable it by opening up the mirror and looking for two wires connected to the glass (they connect to electrodes that energize the darkening goo). Cut one of them, tape it off so it can't short out on anything, and you're good to go. That's the only way I can think of that wouldn't interfere with anything else.

  10. #9
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,341
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    Oh yea, about the tint thing, give me a break. Thats probably the most popular add-on/mod done on the face of the earth. I've got 5% on my truck all the way around.
    Your point? It still isn't recommended by manufacturers, why? Because every sensor inside the car was tested with the tint your car original comes with with. Thats almost like saying, removing your mirrors is popular, lets all do it!

    Quote Originally Posted by rearden82
    You could disable it by opening up the mirror and looking for two wires connected to the glass (they connect to electrodes that energize the darkening goo). Cut one of them, tape it off so it can't short out on anything, and you're good to go. That's the only way I can think of that wouldn't interfere with anything else.
    Do that and kiss your warranty goodbye.

  11. #10
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,049
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    Quote Originally Posted by fp115
    Your point? It still isn't recommended by manufacturers, why? Because every sensor inside the car was tested with the tint your car original comes with with. Thats almost like saying, removing your mirrors is popular, lets all do it!

    Do that and kiss your warranty goodbye.
    Which manufacturers recommended not tinting windows, and where have you seen those statements? I've never heard of such a thing. Aside from the rearview mirror being darkened as a result of the....darkened rear window, which sensors are you saying would be affected, and why?

    And cutting the wire in the mirror would only void the warranty for the mirror itself (since you'd be intentionally disabling it, obviously), unless the dealer could somehow prove that the snipped wire caused a problem elsewhere.

  12. #11
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    3,377
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    Quote Originally Posted by fp115
    Your point? It still isn't recommended by manufacturers, why? Because every sensor inside the car was tested with the tint your car original comes with with. Thats almost like saying, removing your mirrors is popular, lets all do it!


    Do that and kiss your warranty goodbye.
    What are you talking about??!! Thanks for the laugh!
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

  13. #12
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,341
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    Quote Originally Posted by shadams
    What are you talking about??!! Thanks for the laugh!
    Well keep laughing. Aftermarket tinting is not legal in all states, and it also reduces the appeal of the vehicle to the potential market! Unless you are in a climate where tint is needed due to extreme temperatures, potential buyers will look unfavorably on a vehicle that is modified.

    You clearly haven't bought a new car recently to have noticed that cars have sensors within the car. Less light in the car means the cockpit sensors will assume it is dark out sooner than it is. The temperature sensors in some cars will not act as they should depending on the tint.

    So go on continue your laughing, heck I will join you while you are at it.

  14. #13
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,049
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    Quote Originally Posted by fp115
    Well keep laughing. Aftermarket tinting is not legal in all states, and it also reduces the appeal of the vehicle to the potential market! Unless you are in a climate where tint is needed due to extreme temperatures, potential buyers will look unfavorably on a vehicle that is modified.

    You clearly haven't bought a new car recently to have noticed that cars have sensors within the car. Less light in the car means the cockpit sensors will assume it is dark out sooner than it is. The temperature sensors in some cars will not act as they should depending on the tint.
    You didn't answer my question. Which manufacturers recommend against window tint, and where did you find those statements? And since you've chosen to continue BSing everyone, would you care to tell us which states have outlawed aftermarket window tint?

    You clearly haven't noticed that light and climate control sunload sensors are placed on the dashboard or on the front of the rearview mirror. This means they are facing the windshield, which cannot be legally tinted beyond a small strip at the top.

    Outside temperature sensors are placed outside (where tint obviously cannot affect them), and inside temp. sensors are typically located in the dashboard. If window tint causes them to indicate a lower temperature, it's because the tint has reduced the interior temperature.

  15. #14
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    3,377
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    Quote Originally Posted by fp115
    Well keep laughing. Aftermarket tinting is not legal in all states, and it also reduces the appeal of the vehicle to the potential market! Unless you are in a climate where tint is needed due to extreme temperatures, potential buyers will look unfavorably on a vehicle that is modified.

    You clearly haven't bought a new car recently to have noticed that cars have sensors within the car. Less light in the car means the cockpit sensors will assume it is dark out sooner than it is. The temperature sensors in some cars will not act as they should depending on the tint.

    So go on continue your laughing, heck I will join you while you are at it.
    Man, if you don't even notice in my sig that I am a GM SERVICE ADVISOR AT A GM DEALER, and that I have a 2006 GMC SIERRA, that is probably the reason why you think what you do, you don't pay any attention.

    I will say you aren't too far out in left field, some of the things you say are true, but have no substantial bearing on the performance of the vehicle. You seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

    No where in the GM policy and procedures manual does it say anything about tinting windows, and in my 10 yrs at my dealer it has never been an issue. The reason for the original post was simply the fact that he didn't like them to auto dim, not that they auto dim too much, too soon. The tint thing popped up out of nowhere and has redirected the original problem.

    He can turn it off every time, or he can take his mirror apart (which isn't very easy, Ive tried it and the outside mirror/s will still dim ). It wont affect his warranty beyond the mirror. HAVE A NICE DAY!
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

  16. #15
    Walking
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2007 Tahoe -> Auto dimming mirrors

    Whenever that problem will arise to my car, I don't have to worry anymore since I've just replaced my old mirror with a GMC mirror cover. Don't do some manual adjustmens anymore,replace it dude...
    GMC mirror cover

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2