2006 Impala key stuck in ignition and no power

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2006 Impala key stuck in ignition and no power

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

2006 Impala key stuck in ignition and no power

Has anybody else with a 2006 on up style Impala had a condition where after the battery was removed and replaced the key was stuck in the ignition, the interior lights do not work, no power to the moonroof and the car fails to start? We just did a water pump on my buddies 2006 LTZ and removed the battery to gain easier access. With the new water pump back in place, battery leads connected to a fully charged battery we tried starting the car and nothing. My friend said this happened twice before and he was able to get the car going after removed the RAP fuse and negative battery lead over night. Tried this and nothing. The only things working are the speedometer, bell chimes and radio. Does this sound like a bad ignition switch or a faulty BCM perhaps?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 X6

Re: 2006 Impala key stuck in ignition and no power

This is why they make a power supply that plugs in the cig lighter so you don't corrupt your ecm, bcm and need to reflash the unit. This is very common and why we never disconnect a battery with out one attached.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Quote Originally Posted by TheBUC View Post
    This is why they make a power supply that plugs in the cig lighter so you don't corrupt your ecm, bcm and need to reflash the unit. This is very common and why we never disconnect a battery with out one attached.

If this is true, then there is another reason to look at GM with stupidity. You can't even replace your own battery if it goes bad, how rediculous.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TORRED1 View Post

If this is true, then there is another reason to look at GM with stupidity. You can't even replace your own battery if it goes bad, how rediculous.
    You can replace your own battery. You just can't let everything in the car power down while you do it. A little reading before you go "old school" on a repair goes a long way.

BTW, my friend that owns a late model Jetta tells me if you replace it's battery without keeping it powered up, it loses engine timing Have fun with that one.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 X6

Quote Originally Posted by TORRED1 View Post

Yes it's true and not just for GM for all of them, we plug in every car we work on if you have to pull the battery.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Call tripple A

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Is the battery actually charged? Is there a good contact at the wires?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 X6

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Call tripple A
    That style does work but is not reliable unless you us a new battery every time our unit is 120 volt and plugs in the cig lighter. Only enough power for the ecm and bcm to keep there memory

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

So what is actually happening to the car that causes this problem? I can't fathom the car having important fixed settings related to getting it to start being stored in volatile memory, especially considering the price of flash-type memory. I expect radio presets to lose but the car to start without issue. I mean... how do they get them off the assembly line or work around at the dealer? (surely the car isn't sitting with battery connected, outside in winter for months...)

Thanks

The car rides down the assembly line, and is not cranked until almost at the end. Probably programmed right before then. The battery is supposed to be disconnected for vehicles that sit on dealer lots for extended periods of time, but I've never known a dealer to do it. Apparently, low battery voltage or even swapping a battery quickly allows components to keep their programs. I've done it often. But when they sit disconnected from a power source for hours, they lose it.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I changed the battery in my 2008 Impala with no issues whatsoever! And that was after an entire night with a dead battery! The Impala does not require having power applied with the battery removed. The car was towed to the dealer and apparently this is yet another common GM issue that affects many 2006 Impalas and Cobalts. Apparently the BCM is faulty according to there scanner and needs to be replaced. The other issue is that there are very tight wires under the center console that fray and break over time which renders the key release and engine start solenoids inactive. This solenoid sits on the floor shifter which goes back and forth to put the car in gear/park etc and the wires over time break. These are both very common Impala issues and both are being inspected. I was just wondering beforehand if anybody else had this issue with there Impala and what was done to fix it.

Thanks

Even a "dead" battery usually has some power. That's all it takes to keep the components powered up. The "faulty" BCM's are usually fried from hooking up the battery charger or jumper cables backwards. Seen it a hundred times. And if you switch out the battery fairly quickly, they don't lose their programs.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    I changed the battery in my 2008 Impala with no issues whatsoever! And that was after an entire night with a dead battery! The Impala does not require having power applied with the battery removed. The car was towed to the dealer and apparently this is yet another common GM issue that affects many 2006 Impalas and Cobalts. Apparently the BCM is faulty according to there scanner and needs to be replaced. The other issue is that there are very tight wires under the center console that fray and break over time which renders the key release and engine start solenoids inactive. This solenoid sits on the floor shifter which goes back and forth to put the car in gear/park etc and the wires over time break. These are both very common Impala issues and both are being inspected. I was just wondering beforehand if anybody else had this issue with there Impala and what was done to fix it.
    This happened to my car twice since I've owned it. I youtube a video and find an easy fix. underneath the console below the gear shifter is a little metal button. you turn the key to where you can move the shifter lever and press the below and then you can take the car out of park. Then you just put it in nuetral and give it a turn and it should work. if not the youtube video gives you a way to rewire it your self. I haven't had any problem since.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information