2006 HHR Won't Start

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 HHR Won't Start

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

2006 HHR Won't Start

Here's the story:

My brother has been borrowing my HHR for the last two weeks or so. He drove it around Calgary and then drove it out to Saskatoon for a week and drove back. He did not have any battery or starting problems.

I know my battery was getting weak because I had to jump start it around Christmas when it sat outside in very cold weather (negative farenheit temperatures) for a couple days without being started. Back in later Jan/early Feb the battery drained again sitting in the cold and I could not jump the vehicle. I had to pull the battery and charge it. It has held a charge since and did not have any problems with the cold weather since.

The last time he drove my car he mentioned the CD ejected and the clock on the radio reset upon start up. He left it parked outside my mom's place where I picked it up this morning. It started fine this morning but I noticed that the clock was reset and displayed 12:00 which I thought was odd.

I parked my car near my office and went to work and then went to the car show with my buddies. I arrived back at my car around 12 hours later. I pushed the unlock button on the remote and the lights came on and the doors unlocked. I put the key in the ignition, turned it and everything died. It did not even try to turn over, the radio did not come on, the dash lights didn't come on and neither did the headlights. I also couldn't turn the key to the off position only to the ACC position. I had to take off the underside cover and release the key from the ignition with a cylinder lock button.

I'm pretty sure that none of my interior or exterior lights were on to drain the battery during the day. Could my battery be completely discharged? Why would my battery completely discharge? Could this be a more serious issue with something electrical? Which fuses should I check first?

I am going back to my car tomorrow morning to see if I can boost it. I'm also going to check various fuses to see if that is the problem. This seems like a very odd situation.

Thanks!
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2006 HHR Won't Start

I think the problem is with starter solenoid, it may be because of faulty starter solenoid or may be starter motor is faulty. Kindly check the ignition switch, may be because of faulty ignition switch you are facing this problem.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm gonna bet your battery is just dead. I know I'm getting ready to replace mine. I can tell it's not spinning as fast as it should. Lucky, if mine dies, I can' just push start it....

18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Clock reset to 12:00 is a sure sign of one of two things.

1. Bad battery.

2. Bad radio.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I would say battery also. I've seen the scenario you describe before on other vehicles. Unlock works, normals light come on when entering, turn key to on and dash stuff comes on, then turn to start and it sucks out the remaing little power batery has and locks the key in ignition.

Thanks
    My Ride

I hope it is just a dead battery because that is easy to fix. I'll be heading out in a couple hours to check on my car and see what I can figure out.

Thanks

Does it still have the original battery?

Thanks
    My Ride

Yeah, it is still the original battery. It is one of the things that I am planning on replacing this spring/summer. I should have replaced it when it died earlier this year but when I hooked it up to the charger it held a charge really well after that so I figured I could get some more time out of it.

Thanks

I think you got the most out of that one. Normally 3-4 years is about all they can handle.
    Take a new one with you instead of jumper cables.

Banned
    Thanks

My HHR (2006) is on its second GM radio. The first one had issues, way back when and they gave us an upgraded version of the Insert here radio

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    My HHR (2006) is on its second GM radio. The first one had issues, way back when and they gave us an upgraded version of the Insert here radio
    My HHR is on it's third radio. One of the problems I've been having with the radios was that it wasn't keeping time properly. It would lose about 5 minutes every week or two. It was never determined whether it was a radio problem or a usage issue (I can easily go two or three days without driving my vehicle.) But my current radio still loses time now.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    My HHR is on it's third radio. One of the problems I've been having with the radios was that it wasn't keeping time properly. It would lose about 5 minutes every week or two. It was never determined whether it was a radio problem or a usage issue (I can easily go two or three days without driving my vehicle.) But my current radio still loses time now.
    Ours, can last for up to a month, when we travel to Africa and we come back, and it still is on its usual time. I think what you need if for them to give you an upgraded Radio, since the actual unit for this model is rubbish.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Ours, can last for up to a month, when we travel to Africa and we come back, and it still is on its usual time. I think what you need if for them to give you an upgraded Radio, since the actual unit for this model is rubbish.
    I'm well out of warranty (2.5 years out of warranty or so.) GM won't be giving me anything except for an invoice for parts and labour.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    I'm well out of warranty (2.5 years out of warranty or so.) GM won't be giving me anything except for an invoice for parts and labour.
    Man, I always buy extended warranty.. with my new ride.. I think our extended warranty may be out too.
    Or HHR is so far still new, 73,000 miles

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks

Only thing I've had to change on mine was some new brakes. Still the same head unit.

But this spring, time for new shocks/struts, battery, and possible a couple of front end items to tighten things back up some.

18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information