2006 Chevy Malibu 2.2 LT Power Steering Issue

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2006 Chevy Malibu 2.2 LT Power Steering Issue

Walking
    Thanks

Exclamation 2006 Chevy Malibu 2.2 LT Power Steering Issue

Hello,

I have been having a very frustrated time researching the problem with my wifes car. This seemed like the best place to go for answers.

My wife and I bought a used 2006 Chevy Malibu 2.2 LT. after a couple of months my wife told me that the DIC on the radio showed a power steering warning. After looking for the Power steering fluid reservoir I called the dealership and found out that it has an power steering electrical assist motor inside the steering column. This is very new to me. I have read a ton of posts about the 2005 Chevy Malibu listed in a TSB and it being fixed by the dealership but nothing about the 2006. One person said the 2006 is also covered up to 70,000 miles but I can't find any information to support that. I am taking it in on Monday to the dealership and it would be very helpful to know if this problem is covered under one of the technical service bulletins so I don't have to pay big money to get this fixed. If anyone has a TSB Description that they can post it would be most helpful. I was going to pay for one but there are about 6 choices for 2006 power steering tsb's and I have no idea if any of them cover my car. Thank you in advance for any feedback on my situation!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2006 Chevy Malibu 2.2 LT Power Steering Issue

There may also be a time limit on the coverage. Find out BEFORE you take your car in.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC JiminSTLouis's Avatar
    Thanks

I have 48K on my 09 and it was not covered. I paid $79.00 to have the sensors recalibrated and the problem (pulling left) was fixed. My brother thinks they probably just pulled the batt cable for 10 minutes.
    jim

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

OBD2 Cars will not recalibrate anything by pulling battery cables.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC JiminSTLouis's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks, that makes me feel better that I didn't spend $79.00 for something I could have done myself.
    jim

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information