2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Servicing

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Servicing

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 GMC Sierra 4 x 4

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Servicing

I have a 4 x 4 2005 Crew Cab with the 5.3L automatic and I have the service 4wd light on. I have 72,000 miles on the truck and it drives fine. I noticed one day it did shift in 4 wheel drive on it's own which I caught quickly. Do I need to run the code on it and see if I have a bad TCCM or encoder motor or should I look elsewhere?

I just retired and wanted to catch up on the servicing of my truck. I wanted to replace the front & rear diff oil, the transfer case oil and the automatic transmission filter/fluid. Can I use Advance auto parts lubricants in all these gear boxes? I want to insure they have all the correct additives. Does anyone have the capacities or point me to a site which has one stop shopping for this info? All help would be greatly appreciated.

The last eight of my VIN is 51179725 for the TECHS who know the different model configurations.

Happy New Year!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Servicing

Capacities should be in the owner's manual.

You should run the code, but it's not going to tell you what the problem is, only where to start. You need a copy of the trouble tree, which tells you the steps to follow to determine the problem per code shown. If Advance has the lubricants shown in the owner's manual, by all means go for it.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 X6

Re: 2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Servicing

You have no problem with the transfercase the issue is with the TCCM and it happens alot, you will find no code or problem with the TCCM, so enjoy the truck and don't worry. The t/C model you have is the 246 GM if it has the Auto 4WD and if it does not it has the 243 GM both units have one serious issue, the pump will cut a groove in the rear housing at the bottom and let all the oil leak out. There is a few different ways to repair them, in my shop we replace the rear housing with an aftermarket one that is aluminum and will not wear like the factory magnesium. The T/C takes 2 liters of the Trac II fluid the front differential is a 8.25 and takes 1.8 liters of synthetic gear oil 75/W90 and the rear differential is a 8.6 and it takes 3.1 liters of the same fluid as the front but with the rear use a gasket not sealer, gaskets are available everywhere and are better all around.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information