2005 equinox vibration

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 equinox vibration

Walking
    Thanks

2005 equinox vibration

I have an 05 Equinox AWD automatic. It has a vibration throughout the car when I am driving between 35 and 50mph. If I let off the gas, or apply the brakes, the vibration stops. It only vibrates when I'm on the gas between 35 and 50. A friend said it might be the steering column. Does that sound reasonable? If so, does the whole steering column have to be replaced? (It also makes clanking sound over bumps, but I think that is because I need to replace the front brake caliper bushings)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2005 equinox vibration

The fact that it stops when you apply the brakes makes me think torque converter--you're causing it to unlock--especially also because that speed range is generally when it is locking up. I'm not sure how a vibration in that speed range and that goes away when you let off or hit the brakes has anything at all to do with the electric steering, but that's just me.

Hopefully some of the techs chime in with more detailed ideas or info from similar issues they've dealt with.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Put the trans into 2nd or 3rd gear, drive the same speed and see if the vibration goes away. If it does, it very well could be what caddy said.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

There is a support mount with a bearing on the rear driveshaft.Crawl under the truck and check it out.The rubber mount breaks and will cause a terrible vibration.The mount is located in the middle of the truck.
    GM World Class Certified
    ASE Master Tech
    ASE Truck Tech
    ASE Service Consultant
    ASE Advance Engine Performance L1
    GM MOE 2005 Gold
    Gm MOE 2006 Gold

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 73ChevelleSS View Post
    There is a support mount with a bearing on the rear driveshaft.Crawl under the truck and check it out.The rubber mount breaks and will cause a terrible vibration.The mount is located in the middle of the truck.
    exactly what i was thinking as well. also, i have seen a couple in for the rear joints freezing up, and also one that came in missing a bolt in the rear coupler, which caused a vibration.

those center bearings are a pain in the ass to replace
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Walking
    Thanks

I didn't see anything wrong just by looking underneath for loose or missing bolts. The mounts appear to be solid. I'm having a little trouble getting up to 40mph in 2nd gear. Not sure what else to check....

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information