2005 Chevy Venture and the 3.4L LA1 engine

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 Chevy Venture and the 3.4L LA1 engine

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

2005 Chevy Venture and the 3.4L LA1 engine

I have a friend who's considering a 2005 Venture with ~100k miles. Did GM ever get around to fixing the manifold gasket and head gasket issues on the 3.4L engine before it went out of service, or will this vehicle suffer the same issues as the ones before it?

What else is there to check out on this vehicle before seriously considering it?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2005 Chevy Venture and the 3.4L LA1 engine

never hear of the headgasket problem on this motor only old northstar. But the lower intake is a toss up on that milage. I changed my lower intake gasket on my POS oldy BUT GOODY 1992 3.1 W/ 235K on her 8+ yrs. I looking for something too, but not sure what I want.
    Good luck
    toyota hondaimports
    VIVA PORTUGAL

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Anything with 100k is subject to have a leaking intake gasket at any time....

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Anything with 100k is subject to have a leaking intake gasket at any time....
    What a load! This is a 5 year old van, with an engine that's has well documented problems pertaining to this very issue, many times happens at an even lower mileage.

As for the 3400, it was used in the 1st generation Equinox well past 2005 and many owners still had the problem, so I would say GM never did fix the problem. There are better vans out there than the Venture.
    Last edited by 84Cressida; 08-28-2010 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks

My wife and I both drive 3400 powered vehicles. (I have never hard of head gasket problem---I am sure there isn't one)

Shes has a 2000 Olds minivan. We have records that the intake manifold gasket was done.

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am--the intake manifold gasket was not done.

Both run great AND we get really good gas mileage.

I would not cross it off your list. I am not 100% sure but I think GM did take some corrective action that did help, if not outright stop the problem by 05. Might have been a different gasket material....not sure...they might know on here:

http://www.gaownersclub.com/
    Proud Pontiac Owner
    2004 Grand Am SE V6 with 1SB package. Faster then my 2,4L Cobalt auto was! More fun to drive too.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I have a 2005 3400 and I have the same problem. I will say that it's not 'well documented' though.

I didn't see the problem until > 125K.

I could buy an Odyssey and have my tranny drop at 80K.

Or I could get a Sienna and do somersaults when the spare drops out on the interstate.

I think I'm getting a 1969 Catalina wagon and saying to heck with it.
    "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself no matter what they say" - Gordon Sumner

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hater View Post
    I have a 2005 3400 and I have the same problem. I will say that it's not 'well documented' though.

I didn't see the problem until > 125K.

I could buy an Odyssey and have my tranny drop at 80K.

Or I could get a Sienna and do somersaults when the spare drops out on the interstate.

I think I'm getting a 1969 Catalina wagon and saying to heck with it.
    This one's for you, Mr. 84Cressida.

Thanks

Checked over on the grandam forum. They say the intake was redesigned for 2004.
    Proud Pontiac Owner
    2004 Grand Am SE V6 with 1SB package. Faster then my 2,4L Cobalt auto was! More fun to drive too.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 iluvcamaros's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

From my knowledge virtually all of GM's V6 and V8 engines experienced intake gasket issues beginning in the late 90s (my dads Blazer, my S10 included). It can almost be considered scheduled maintenance for engines that approach 100k and have yet to already experience the problem.

I think the difference concerning the 3100/3400 is the potential consequences of a bad lower intake manifold gasket.

For example my Grandfather had a 3100 Lumina that flatout died; the cause of death was a broken camshaft. My personal theory is that the car had a chronic intake gasket leak that began long before he purchased it. Coolant got in the oil and over time the cam bearings began to go. Eventually the back half of the cam seized and the front half decided to keep on spinning (FYI the cam is hollow). Thanks to a used engine the car is back to moaning up and down the road (the sound of a 3100 is that of a beast which is unhappy with its station in life).

That is an extreme example, but the moral is that the 3100/3400 is an engine that does unto you as you do unto it. If taken care of it will probably last you.

If the gasket has never been replaced the owner should keep an eye out for obvious oil/coolant leaks and for milky oil (coolant in oil).

Plus, I believe the performance of a gasket has a lot to do with the care with which it was installed.

P.S.

My parents had a 3100 and it was flawless in terms of reliability (excluding the intake gasket circa 100k).

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2004 Buick LeSabre Limited Celebration Edition
    2001 Buick Regal LS
    2001 Chevrolet S-10 4WD

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information