2005 Buick Park Ave Twilight Sentinel issue

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 Buick Park Ave Twilight Sentinel issue

Thanks

2005 Buick Park Ave Twilight Sentinel issue

I recently purchased a 2005 Buick Park Avenue Special Edition. Tonight was the first time I've actually driven it in anything except day time. I was expecting the headlights to come on automatically when I started it up. Instead the only thing that came on were the daytime running lights when I put it in gear. I have to manually pull the headlight switch to get the lights to come on.

The twilight sentinel switch is in the max position and I've tried adjusting that to no change. In addition to the twilight sentinel not working, the DIC, radio, and climate control won't dim. From previous experience this means the car thinks it's day time out and it doesn't need to dim them. The only control I have over the brightness of the interior lights is the gauge lighting that I can control by twisting the headlight knob.

Does anyone have any clue as to how to trace this or what may be the issue? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kyle.

Dream Vehicles: 88-91 Reatta, an early 80s Buick Wagon, or any 79+ Riviera
    Current Vehicles:
    2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Special NYC two tone Edition (1 of 300 made) 70K miles
    1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue White w/ soft top and red leather interior. 76K miles
    Dead/Retired Vehicles:
    1998 Buick Riviera ~105,000, and totaled after being rear ended
    1990 Buick Park Avenue ~300,000 loyal miles before death from oil starvation. May you R.I.P. Christine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2005 Buick Park Ave Twilight Sentinel issue

It might just be a bad sensor - the one you see around where your dash and windshield meet. But it got me thinking - what is "Twilight Sentinel". Is it something special?
    Regal:
    S40:

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMFreak8 View Post

The twilight sentinel switch is in the max position and I've tried adjusting that to no change.
    The sliding on the sentinel switch adjusts the time the headlights stay on AFTER the ignition switch is turned off so you can get from your car to the house door with some light from the headllights in the area.

The only control I have over the brightness of the interior lights is the gauge lighting that I can control by twisting the headlight knob.
    If the brightness can be changed then you are in night mode and the headlights are on (or parking lights).

I wonder if your car has the method for turning off the headlights by pushing on the parking light switch. My leSabre has a separate switch button for headlights and parking lights. If that button were depressed and it turns off the headlights for driving in areas where no lights are wanted, your headlights should be completely off instead of DRLs working when car is in gear.

I do know it's easy to use the on and off switches when one gets automatic lights. The salesman was really emphatic about not using the manual switches because it's easy to get things mixed up.

Do you have a manual for your car in the glovebox?

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I recently purchased a 2005 Buick Park Avenue Special Edition. Tonight was the first time I've actually driven it in anything except day time. I was expecting the headlights to come on automatically when I started it up. Instead the only thing that came on were the daytime running lights when I put it in gear. I have to manually pull the headlight switch to get the lights to come on.

The twilight sentinel switch is in the max position and I've tried adjusting that to no change. In addition to the twilight sentinel not working, the DIC, radio, and climate control won't dim. From previous experience this means the car thinks it's day time out and it doesn't need to dim them. The only control I have over the brightness of the interior lights is the gauge lighting that I can control by twisting the headlight knob.

Does anyone have any clue as to how to trace this or what may be the issue? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kyle.

The "twilight sentinel" feature was an extra-cost option on my 1999 Corvette. The feature can be turned on or off by using the DIC, according to instructions in the car's owner's manual. There is also a "parade mode" which keeps the brightness at its fullest level for the dash lights, radio display, HVAC display and the DIC.

Read your owner's manual (or buy one and read it) and determine if the feature is activated.

Good luck.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information