2004 Impala security/starting problem

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2004 Impala security/starting problem

Walking
    Thanks

2004 Impala security/starting problem

I have a 2004 Impala which has about 55,000 miles on it which I have owned since new. About 6 months ago it all of a sudden began not starting, and since then it wont start approx. 5 or 6 times a week, sometimes it will go 3 days with no problem, then it won't start several times in one day. When it won't start , you have to let it sit for about 10. When it won't start the secuity light will come on in the message center. The key for this car is in the dash. I've heard this is a problem with several GM vehicles around this same year, and there is no specific fix for it. Any input for a solution would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: 2004 Impala security/starting problem

I had the same problem today for the first time with my Alero....i found this online...maybe it will help but just know that i did find it online and do not know how valid it is...an idea though

PASSLOCK I or II DISABLEMENT

The following is a procedure to disable Passlock I or II Systems for vehicles in which remote start/stop system installations are required. This procedure is required because a remote start system will not function with the current Theft Deterrent System (Passlock) which is included on many 1996 and up GM vehicles.

Please note that this modification is intended to be used only in conjunction with the installation of a remote start/stop system and does not provide a procedure to install a remote start/stop system.

CAUSE
    If an attempt is made to start a vehicle by a means other than a key rotation in the ignition switch, the Body Control Module (BCM) will interpret this start as a vehicle theft and disable the fuel injectors.

CORRECTION
    A minor wiring modification may be made to allow the vehicle to be started remotely. This modification includes adding a switch to allow the customer to select “ON” to disable Passlock or “OFF” for normal Passlock operation.
    CAUTION: When this modification is performed and the switch is set to the ON position, the theft deterrent feature will be disabled. When the theft
    deterrent is disabled the SECURITY or THEFT telltale will light up indicating that the theft deterrent system is NOT functioning.
    PASSLOCK MODIFICATION
    Refer to appropriate GM service manuals and/or SVMQP Electrical Guideline Manual for instruction on splicing and electrical connections.
    1. Select a suitable on-off switch (see note below) which will be used to disable/
    enable the Passlock System. Mount the switch in a location such that it is
    accessible to the driver and will not interfere with normal vehicle operation.
    NOTE: This is an extremely low current circuit (approx. 7mA), it is therefore very important that a high quality, low energy, fast acting switch be utilized
    for this application.
    2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
    3. Locate the Main Ignition Switch Harness in the Column. GM's Passlock System wires exit the Ignition Switch Tumbler together and then join with the Main Ignition Switch Harness. (See http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/ or http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp and select your Make, Model and Year for wire colors and clues on the quickest way to access these wires.)
    4. Locate the Yellow Passlock Data Wire which is included in a bundle of three tiny (20 GA) wires wrapped in friction tape.
    Cut this wire and splice a 0.5mm2 (20 GA) yellow wire to each end of the cut wire.
    Keep wire length to a minimum. Route modification wires clear of moving parts.
    Connect the yellow wires to the switch such that the contacts are OPEN when the switch is in the ON position.
    5. Turn modification switch to the OFF postion (contacts closed).
    6. Start vehicle to verify normal operation. If engine “cranks but will not start"
    recheck the switch position (contacts should be closed), wire connectors and
    modification wiring.

SWITCH OPERATION

To enable remote start:
    Start the engine with the ignition key (modification switch must be in the OFF
    position). Turn modification switch to the ON position (contacts open). The
    SECURITY or THEFT telltale will light up indicating that the Passlock System is inoperative.Once the SECURITY or THEFT telltale has been on for at least 5 seconds the vehicle can be turned off and then remotely started.

To disable remote start:
    The Passlock System can be reactivated by turning the modification switch OFF
    (contacts closed). Vehicle can either be running or off when this is done.

Please note that the VCM/PCM will record Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) related to the security system when the modification switch is in the ON position (circuit open). This is due to the way that the VCM/PCM interprets this condition.

NOTICE
    Any condition which removes battery power from the Vehicle Control Module/Powertrain Control Module (VCM/PCM) (e.g. dead battery, disconnected harness connectors, etc.) will prevent the vehicle from being restarted. If the engine exhibits a “cranks but will not start” symptom, place the modification switch in the OFF (contacts closed) position. This will reactivate the Passlock System and allow the vehicle to be started with the ignition key.
    Liz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smarts123 View Post
    I had the same problem today for the first time with my Alero....i found this online...maybe it will help but just know that i did find it online and do not know how valid it is...an idea though

PASSLOCK I or II DISABLEMENT

The following is a procedure to disable Passlock I or II Systems for vehicles in which remote start/stop system installations are required. This procedure is required because a remote start system will not function with the current Theft Deterrent System (Passlock) which is included on many 1996 and up GM vehicles.

Please note that this modification is intended to be used only in conjunction with the installation of a remote start/stop system and does not provide a procedure to install a remote start/stop system.

CAUSE
    If an attempt is made to start a vehicle by a means other than a key rotation in the ignition switch, the Body Control Module (BCM) will interpret this start as a vehicle theft and disable the fuel injectors.

CORRECTION
    A minor wiring modification may be made to allow the vehicle to be started remotely. This modification includes adding a switch to allow the customer to select “ON” to disable Passlock or “OFF” for normal Passlock operation.
    CAUTION: When this modification is performed and the switch is set to the ON position, the theft deterrent feature will be disabled. When the theft
    deterrent is disabled the SECURITY or THEFT telltale will light up indicating that the theft deterrent system is NOT functioning.
    PASSLOCK MODIFICATION
    Refer to appropriate GM service manuals and/or SVMQP Electrical Guideline Manual for instruction on splicing and electrical connections.
    1. Select a suitable on-off switch (see note below) which will be used to disable/
    enable the Passlock System. Mount the switch in a location such that it is
    accessible to the driver and will not interfere with normal vehicle operation.
    NOTE: This is an extremely low current circuit (approx. 7mA), it is therefore very important that a high quality, low energy, fast acting switch be utilized
    for this application.
    2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
    3. Locate the Main Ignition Switch Harness in the Column. GM's Passlock System wires exit the Ignition Switch Tumbler together and then join with the Main Ignition Switch Harness. (See http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/ or http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp and select your Make, Model and Year for wire colors and clues on the quickest way to access these wires.)
    4. Locate the Yellow Passlock Data Wire which is included in a bundle of three tiny (20 GA) wires wrapped in friction tape.
    Cut this wire and splice a 0.5mm2 (20 GA) yellow wire to each end of the cut wire.
    Keep wire length to a minimum. Route modification wires clear of moving parts.
    Connect the yellow wires to the switch such that the contacts are OPEN when the switch is in the ON position.
    5. Turn modification switch to the OFF postion (contacts closed).
    6. Start vehicle to verify normal operation. If engine “cranks but will not start"
    recheck the switch position (contacts should be closed), wire connectors and
    modification wiring.

SWITCH OPERATION

To enable remote start:
    Start the engine with the ignition key (modification switch must be in the OFF
    position). Turn modification switch to the ON position (contacts open). The
    SECURITY or THEFT telltale will light up indicating that the Passlock System is inoperative.Once the SECURITY or THEFT telltale has been on for at least 5 seconds the vehicle can be turned off and then remotely started.

To disable remote start:
    The Passlock System can be reactivated by turning the modification switch OFF
    (contacts closed). Vehicle can either be running or off when this is done.

Please note that the VCM/PCM will record Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) related to the security system when the modification switch is in the ON position (circuit open). This is due to the way that the VCM/PCM interprets this condition.

NOTICE
    Any condition which removes battery power from the Vehicle Control Module/Powertrain Control Module (VCM/PCM) (e.g. dead battery, disconnected harness connectors, etc.) will prevent the vehicle from being restarted. If the engine exhibits a “cranks but will not start” symptom, place the modification switch in the OFF (contacts closed) position. This will reactivate the Passlock System and allow the vehicle to be started with the ignition key.
    Thanks I just printed & saved. I like to find stuff like this for furture repair work=$$$
    toyota hondaimports
    VIVA PORTUGAL

Walking
    Thanks

GM published something like this for GM trucks as well, you can find it on the internet its to bypass the system for remote starters, they have a lot of diagrams and stuff in it if you can find it online somewhere
    Liz

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure that fix will work.

The actual problem is usually in the ignition switch, or the ignition key cylinder. Eventually the car will not start even if you wait until hades freezes over. So try the suggested fix or replace one or both of the parts.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah if your car has a auto start on it good luck. i had one on my 2001 sunfire and it was nothing put problems. it kept setting off that alarm where it cuts the fuel to the motor and it wouldn't start for 20 min.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

This has worked on different model GM with PassLock 2.

Turn key to run, shift to neutral, start car.

Walking
    Thanks

I am definetly going to try that

"This has worked on different model GM with PassLock 2.

Turn key to run, shift to neutral, start car. "

on my 02 Alero...its been acting up a lot lately will let you know if it works
    Liz

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information