2003 cavalier changed battery, gauges dead

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 cavalier changed battery, gauges dead

Walking
    Thanks

2003 cavalier changed battery, gauges dead

When I changed the battery in my 2003 cavalier, all the gauges quit working. The backlighting still works and the theft and engine light are the only lights that come on during starting. I've heard of a power-on-reset problem with the gauges, but pulling all fuses and disconnecting/reconnecting battery hasn't fixed. When vehicle sits for a while some of the cluster lights will come on and wont go out untill battery fuse is pulled. This happened to me before and somehow it came back to life, but I think it was just luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2003 cavalier changed battery, gauges dead

Sounds like someone tried to jump the battery with the cables crossed and shorted out the cluster.

Walking
    Thanks

Nope, I've got a new battery. It's a problem with some of the 2003's clusters. I've found other posts on different forums, but no definite answers. I'm sure if I get the right sequence of fuse pulling and battery disconnecting and a little luck it will come back. I'ts not the first time its happened.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 dr.gizmo's Avatar
    Thanks

Try disconnecting both battery cables and then hold them together for a minute. That should drain all the capacitors in the vehicles computers and may reset the cluster. Then reattach the cables making sure the ignition is off and the key is removed.
    30 Year Gm Dealer Tech.
    GM World Class Tech with 9 certs.
    ASE Master with L1; 12 certs. total

Walking
    Thanks

This seems to be an ancient thread, but I ran across it after I had a similar problem and have solved it, so thought I'd post a reply. I knocked out my instrument cluster when replacing the battery, and pulling the battery leads, holding them together, and whatever didn't work. Pulling and reinstalling the obvious "CLUSTER" fuse didn't help either. Haynes notes two fuses going into the instrument cluster microprocessor -- "CLUSTER" and "CLS/PCM". The latter doesn't seem to exist on my car, BUT I've got a "BCM/CLU".

Long story short... Turned the ignition to "run", pulled the BCM/CLU fuse, put it back in, and everything's alive. Looks like this gives the instrument cluster microprocessor the clean start it so desperately craves.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by base736 View Post
    This seems to be an ancient thread, but I ran across it after I had a similar problem and have solved it, so thought I'd post a reply. I knocked out my instrument cluster when replacing the battery, and pulling the battery leads, holding them together, and whatever didn't work. Pulling and reinstalling the obvious "CLUSTER" fuse didn't help either. Haynes notes two fuses going into the instrument cluster microprocessor -- "CLUSTER" and "CLS/PCM". The latter doesn't seem to exist on my car, BUT I've got a "BCM/CLU".

Long story short... Turned the ignition to "run", pulled the BCM/CLU fuse, put it back in, and everything's alive. Looks like this gives the instrument cluster microprocessor the clean start it so desperately craves.
    LOL wow, you know this just saved the day for me. I left the lights on and killed the battery, father inlaw jumped it. Drove home no cluster except the check engine and theft light would come on while started and go back off (like normal) everything else dead (oh yeah the dash lights still worked for the cluster).

Mine is a 04 cavalier and have the BCM/CLU fuse you speak of, however pulling it did not correct the issue, I had to remove BOTH "Cluster and "BCM/CLU" fuse and did this with the car running. upon plugging them back in, cluster is back online

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information