2001 Buick Century - Water on the passenger floor...help!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Buick Century - Water on the passenger floor...help!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC WWI Flying Ace's Avatar
    Thanks

2001 Buick Century - Water on the passenger floor...help!

During hard rain, or even just steady rain, the passenger floorboard gets water. Sometimes standing water, or sometimes soaked carpet and floor mat, depending on how hard the rain was. Either way, nasty and not good for the carpet!

Took it to the shop and they “couldn’t find anything”…how many times have I heard that one before?

After the last storm, I was able to see where it is hitting the floor mat, it is at the front right corner. Water drip coming off the plastic part of the dash above, but it could be coming from anywhere in the dash and running over to that spot before dripping out.

Is there a known issue with these cars for this problem? Anyone have any ideas of things to try to clear the vent drains or whatever?

Thanks!
    2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
    2007 Jeep Commander
    2001 Buick Century
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

“I never wonder to see men wicked, but I often wonder to see them not ashamed.”
    -Jonathan Swift

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: 2001 Buick Century - Water on the passenger floor...help!

All I can say is good luck - I had an '02 W body (Grand Prix GTP) and was getting a ton of water in the driver footwell (coming in throught the drivers door) - had to keep a towel in the car to sop it up. Dealer couldn't figure it out.

I sold the car on a sunny day.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WWI Flying Ace View Post
    During hard rain, or even just steady rain, the passenger floorboard gets water. Sometimes standing water, or sometimes soaked carpet and floor mat, depending on how hard the rain was. Either way, nasty and not good for the carpet!

Took it to the shop and they “couldn’t find anything”…how many times have I heard that one before?

After the last storm, I was able to see where it is hitting the floor mat, it is at the front right corner. Water drip coming off the plastic part of the dash above, but it could be coming from anywhere in the dash and running over to that spot before dripping out.

Is there a known issue with these cars for this problem? Anyone have any ideas of things to try to clear the vent drains or whatever?

Thanks!

GM had a problem with the "W" body vehicles that would leak rain into the front, passenger footwell.

It was caused by a rubber weather strip that would dislodge and not divert rain water into the proper drain channel. (I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2 that was affected).

You should remove the passenger side air inlet grill (black plastic), and look underneath. The air inlet grill is usually two pieces (driver & passenger side) and attached with black plastic nails/fasteners. It is at the base of the windshield, under the wiper arms.

Under the air inlet grill, there should be a metal "rib" or "lip" where the 10-12 inch rubber weatherstrip rain water diverter was attached. The weatherstrip was NOT glued on, but had a "pinch-fit" channel that was pushed onto the rib. Over time, the weatherstrip would loosen and dislodge. Some people would glue the weatherstrip back on using silicone. The piece of weatherstrip may have fallen into the drain channel inside the fender, near the door hinges. Usually, it is lying inside the cowl and very obvious that is came off of the place where it was attached.

In later year "W" body models, GM eliminated the piece of rubber weatherstrip and installed a plastic trough under the air inlet grill, to divert water to the proper drain channel (the inside of the fender, near the door hinges).

This is very easy to check and correct. I hope this information helps. Please let us know what you find.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 1999 White C5 Coupe; 10-28-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    GM had a problem with the "W" body vehicles that would leak rain into the front, passenger footwell.

It was caused by a rubber weather strip that would dislodge and not divert rain water into the proper drain channel. (I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2 that was affected).

You should remove the passenger side air inlet grill (black plastic), and look underneath. The air inlet grill is usually two pieces (driver & passenger side) and attached with black plastic nails/fasteners. It is at the base of the windshield, under the wiper arms.

Under the air inlet grill, there should be a metal "rib" or "lip" where the 10-12 inch rubber weatherstrip rain water diverter was attached. The weatherstrip was NOT glued on, but had a "pinch-fit" channel that was pushed onto the rib. Over time, the weatherstrip would loosen and dislodge. Some people would glue the weatherstrip back on using silicone. The piece of weatherstrip may have fallen into the drain channel inside the fender, near the door hinges. Usually, it is lying inside the cowl and very obvious that is came off of the place where it was attached.

In later year "W" body models, GM eliminated the piece of rubber weatherstrip and installed a plastic trough under the air inlet grill, to divert water to the proper drain channel (the inside of the fender, near the door hinges).

This is very easy to check and correct. I hope this information helps. Please let us know what you find.

Good luck.
    Thanks! I'll check it this weekend! Will come back and report...hopefully this is it...sure sounds like a good lead!
    2007 Jeep Commander
    2001 Buick Century
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Jonathan Swift

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Had the windshield replaced lately? Got a sunroof?

Thanks

No to both. Original windshield and no sunroof.
    2007 Jeep Commander
    2001 Buick Century
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Jonathan Swift

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

That's a fairly common problem on W-bodies that get parked outside. Several causes will create this problem and my link will go through each of them.

When it's the passenger side floorboard the most common one is the weatherstripping problem that 1999 White C5 mentioned but you could get as lucky as it being a spider web blocking your drainage. Hopefully it's not something as serious as hidden rust. Good luck with your search.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1
    Last edited by big swede; 10-28-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Big Swede! I'll be back to report after the weekend...hoping for an easy fix!
    2007 Jeep Commander
    2001 Buick Century
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Jonathan Swift

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Wish I asked the same question years ago when I had water an inch deep in the drivers footwell.

Walking
    Thanks

Some other ways water can get on your floor and may not apply to your situation but I give them to you FYI:

Door panel vapor barrier missing/damaged along with a dried out window lower wiper/weatherstrip.

I know you don't have a sunroof but the drains can become damaged/dislodged inside the pass. compartment from being blown out with excessive air pressure.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the great help!

I wasn't able to tackle this project this weekend as the car was being used all weekend. I'll be doing the repair next weekend though and I'll come back and report on what it was.

Thanks again!
    2007 Jeep Commander
    2001 Buick Century
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Jonathan Swift

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WWI Flying Ace View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the great help!

I wasn't able to tackle this project this weekend as the car was being used all weekend. I'll be doing the repair next weekend though and I'll come back and report on what it was.

Thanks again!

Any luck?

Thanks

Unfortunately not yet. I did make a little forward progress as I went and got the silicone on Friday (assuming that the rain guard ends up being the issue and needs to be siliconed on). Was planning on it for this weekend, but events conspired to prevent it again.

Will have to be next weekend. With the daylight savings time change there is no way I can do it before then as it will be dark when I get home from work from now till spring. The good news is that the forecast is for no rain from now till the weekend so I should be able to get it addressed next weekend.

I promise I'll come back and report though...really hoping it is the one rain guard...hence the silicone. I love being able to do little things on the cars and this is one fix I'm really itching to try, considering the excellent information from the forum on the possible culprit for the water leak.
    2007 Jeep Commander
    2001 Buick Century
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Jonathan Swift

Thanks

Fixed!

Thanks to everyone that posted the info on how to repair that weatherstrip. That was it...as soon as I got the plastic cover off, the weatherstrip was hanging off the left side. Took it off and siliconed it on. Also replaced the cabin air filter since I was in there anyway...it was a mess but is now nice and new.

Proof in the pudding will be when it rains on Tues or Wed like they said...I'll see then if there is any more water. But this looks good to be a slam dunk.

Thanks again!
    2007 Jeep Commander
    2001 Buick Century
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Jonathan Swift

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

Sweet! I think you nailed it and you're now good to go.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information