2000 monte carlo won't start!! ???

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 monte carlo won't start!! ???

Walking
    Thanks

2000 monte carlo won't start!! ???

My son has a 2000 Monte Carlo SS with an ignition problem.

What happens: Turning ignition key to on, security light comes on momentarily( as has been normal), then low fuel (tank is full). Further turn to start and nothing happens. Not a click or any attempt to turn over.

Have tried boosting and doesn't change anything.

I believe the battery to be good. At least to cause some action which doesn't happen.

Would appreciate knowing if anyone else has ran into this and what was found.

Has been a pretty good car otherwise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Re: 2000 monte carlo won't start!! ???

Quote Originally Posted by ssmonte View Post

What happens: Turning ignition key to on, security light comes on momentarily( as has been normal), then low fuel (tank is full). Further turn to start and nothing happens. Not a click or any attempt to turn over.

I believe the battery to be good. At least to cause some action which doesn't happen.

happened to my Bu once when i let my mother borrow it to go shopping. it could be a bad lock cylinder (the lock cylinder is where the key goes in when you start the car). When it happened to my mother we tried jumping the car but that proved unsuccessful. We had it towed the next day to a repair shop and they diagnosed it as a bad Cylinder and fixed it. if it is indeed a lock cylinder you will need to have new keys made because the new cylinder will not accept your original keys
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 03-22-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

happened to my Bu once when i let my mother borrow it to go shopping. it could be a bad lock cylinder (the lock cylinder is where the key goes in when you start the car). When it happened to my mom we tried jumping the car but that proved unsuccessful. We had it towed the next day to a repair shop and they fixed it. if it is indeed a lock cylinder you will need to have new keys made because the new cylinder will not accept your original keys
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

Walking
    Thanks

Got it. Happened to be a fuse had back out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMfan1111 View Post
    happened to my Bu once when i let my mother borrow it to go shopping. it could be a bad lock cylinder (the lock cylinder is where the key goes in when you start the car). When it happened to my mom we tried jumping the car but that proved unsuccessful. We had it towed the next day to a repair shop and they fixed it. if it is indeed a lock cylinder you will need to have new keys made because the new cylinder will not accept your original keys
    that is the same problem im having with my 2001 MONTE CARLO SS security light comes on when im driving if i turn the car off while the security light is on the car will start up again but if the security light isn't on the car wont start for about 30 minutes or longer i called the dealer and they said its most likely the ignition cylinder and it would cost $500 plus tax to fix it i know a lot of people who own GMs with this similar issue me personally i think its a manufacturers defect and it should be recalled ASAP! what will i do if i get another faulty ignition cylinder? i aint coughin up $500 for a problem that need to be resolved by the manufacturer im going to contact GM and try to get something done about this matter

Thanks

MANY GM VEHICLES HAVE THIS PROBLEM AS I STATED EARLIER IM BATTLING THIS MONSTER AS WE SPEAK ON MY 2001 MONTE CARLO SS AT ONE TIME I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONE BUT PLENTY OF MY FRIENDS OWN GRAND PRIXS,LUMINAS,MONTE CARLOS,IMPALAS,REGALS,INTRIGUES ETC..AND THEY HAVING THE EXACT SAME ISSUE WE NEED TO SEE WHATS UP WITH A RECALL FOR REAL CAUSE TOO MANY CARS GOT THE SECURITY/ANTI THEFT PROBLEM HOLLA IF YALL FOUND A SOLUTION OTHER THAN PAYING TO GET IT FIXED

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by GM4Life99 View Post
    MANY GM VEHICLES HAVE THIS PROBLEM AS I STATED EARLIER IM BATTLING THIS MONSTER AS WE SPEAK ON MY 2001 MONTE CARLO SS AT ONE TIME I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONE BUT PLENTY OF MY FRIENDS OWN GRAND PRIXS,LUMINAS,MONTE CARLOS,IMPALAS,REGALS,INTRIGUES ETC..AND THEY HAVING THE EXACT SAME ISSUE WE NEED TO SEE WHATS UP WITH A RECALL FOR REAL CAUSE TOO MANY CARS GOT THE SECURITY/ANTI THEFT PROBLEM HOLLA IF YALL FOUND A SOLUTION OTHER THAN PAYING TO GET IT FIXED
    I think what GM needs to do is at least investigate the possibility that there could be a problem with the lock cylinder. In my case we fixed it and it has been trouble free since. however Gm should at least explore the option that if the problem with the ignition cylinder is a on going thing then a possible investigation or TSB is needed And I guess you must've left your cap lock key on by accident when you were typing that

- Douglas Adams -

Walking
    Thanks

I have a 2001 Monte Carlo with the same occurring problem. Once when under warranty the dealership replaced the computer which seemed to help for some time but it has now returned. Security light comes on for no apparent reason and sometimes car will not start without setting for several minutes...

Banned
    Thanks

if you are having an issue with your passlock then security lite will come on and vehicle wont start.the biggest problem ive found is with remote starts put in by hacks who butcher the wiring for the passlock sensor.if indeedyou have a remote start first step should be removing by a qualified tech

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

its always nice when you have a no start with a security light on. first thing i check for is anything aftermarket, and if there is i normally replace anything associated with it in the circuit, BCM and sometimes a passlock sensor if needed.

rip that aftermarket security crap out, same for the remote starts. garbage. its ok if you have someone who knows what they are doing. most places have no idea.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Walking
    Thanks

ok my mom has a 2001 monte carlo that was doin the same thing the only way i could get it started was by unpluggin the positive to the battery to shut the computer down . then reattach the cord and it will start but not for long so i read more about it and everyone says they got a new ignition cylinder was needed and that u would need a new key since u replace the cylinder that would cost over $500 and i dont have it so i took the key i never used and compared it to the used one and there was a big difference so i jus kept usin the un damaged key i think it jus to sensitive of theft device and the key jus shuts it down in the ignition . But i jus did this two days ago has ran since but the power locks wont work and dome light fades out.

If u try this plz let me know how it works for you hope it helps....

Walking
    Thanks

I have a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo (base model) and it randomly will not start. After a couple of minutes of constantly trying to crank, it’ll finally start up like nothing happened. When I try to crank it, you could hear a slight click from some small black box where the fuse box is located. The battery, alternator, electrical system, and starter have all been tested and passed. I was told it could possibly be the anti-theft system that needs to be reset, but I think it may be something behind the ignition switch going bad. Sometimes when I’m driving the security light comes on. I took it to the dealers and they couldn’t tell me what’s wrong unless it acts up in front of them. I’ve spent so much money on trying to get this problem fixed and the car only has 80,000 miles on it. ANY MECHANICS OUT THERE ACTUALLY KNOWS WHATS ON? forgot to add that the lights and the radio comes on but the car doesnt start

Walking
    Thanks

My 2000 Monte Carlo has same issues.. Sometimes just won't start..took it to dealership, they said BCM not sending signal, so I spent 548.00 to replace and reprogram it. Needless to say the dashlights and stereo lights and blinkers sometimes don't work.. BCM helped the starting issue for a little bit and nothing with the light issue.. Now I'm back to square one..Sometimes not starting..Sometimes if I put it in neutral it will but then again sometimes nothing helps but time.. HELP any ideas.. The BCM should be under waranty so I'm ganna call the dealership but if they can't figure it out the first time what's a woman to do???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stepheyhillhouse View Post
    My 2000 Monte Carlo has same issues.. Sometimes just won't start..took it to dealership, they said BCM not sending signal, so I spent 548.00 to replace and reprogram it. Needless to say the dashlights and stereo lights and blinkers sometimes don't work.. BCM helped the starting issue for a little bit and nothing with the light issue.. Now I'm back to square one..Sometimes not starting..Sometimes if I put it in neutral it will but then again sometimes nothing helps but time.. HELP any ideas.. The BCM should be under waranty so I'm ganna call the dealership but if they can't figure it out the first time what's a woman to do???
    When I was having lighting issues the LCM (Lamp control module) was at fault. On the Riviera it is located right next to the BCM, so maybe if the setup is similar on your car, you might have damaged it during BCM installation.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevintaylor0 View Post
    I have a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo (base model) and it randomly will not start. After a couple of minutes of constantly trying to crank, it’ll finally start up like nothing happened. When I try to crank it, you could hear a slight click from some small black box where the fuse box is located. The battery switch, alternator, electrical system, and starter have all been tested and passed. I was told it could possibly be the anti-theft system that needs to be reset, but I think it may be something behind the ignition switch going bad. Sometimes when I’m driving the security light comes on. I took it to the dealers and they couldn’t tell me what’s wrong unless it acts up in front of them. I’ve spent so much money on trying to get this problem fixed and the car only has 80,000 miles on it. ANY MECHANICS OUT THERE ACTUALLY KNOWS WHATS ON? forgot to add that the lights and the radio comes on but the car doesnt start
    Bump. I'm not a mechanic though. But there are a lot of things to check. You pointed out the others and let me add some. Here's a list to check:
    • Check Your Fuses
    • Battery Corrosion
    • Dead Battery
    • Faulty Battery Switch
    • Bad Ignition Switch
    • Bad Starter Connection
    • Distributor Cap
    • Fuel Pump and Relay
    • Fuel Filter
    • Bad ECU or MAF
    Last edited by ndrewoods; 02-12-2011 at 12:07 AM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information