2000 Buick LeSabre - Intermittent Vibration

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 Buick LeSabre - Intermittent Vibration

Walking
    Thanks

Unhappy 2000 Buick LeSabre - Intermittent Vibration

All -- your help would be greatly appreciated. I bought my parents a 2000 LeSabre Limited a couple of years ago, and it has been a great car. It was purchased from the estate of a 30 year Buick salesman and was in immaculate condition with complete service records. It currently has 76000 miles on it and has developed what is best described as a side-to-side shimmy/shake/vibration when accelerating between 45 mph and 55 mph. It only happens while your foot is on the accelerator between those speeds and there is no noise associated with the vibration.

I had the tires taken off and there are no bent wheels. No alignment/balance issues. Tires are Michelins with 16000 miles on them, and rotating them made no change. I also swapped all four wheels/tires with those off of my Dad's Impala and no change. I've had a Buick master mechanic replace the front tie rods, axles and motor mounts and no change (it needed the motor mounts though). Transmission shifts smoothly up and down with no hesitation or roughness, fluid is cherry red and filter was changed at 60000 miles. Car consistently gets 25 mpg in city, 32 on the highway. Master mechanic says the only thing left is the transmission and/or torque converter clutch, but he's hesitant to recommend spending the money to open/rebuild the transmission in fear that it may not be the issue, especially in light of the low mileage -- he's been honest and said he's stumped and would have 'bet the farm' on the problem being a either bent wheel/bad tire/tie rod/motor mount/axle. No service lights, and no codes set. Mechanic also is seeing no codes in operation.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and have any feedback or suggestions we might have missed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2000 Buick LeSabre - Intermittent Vibration

How old is the fuel filter, plugs and wires? If they need replacing, be sure not to use Bosch or AutoZone products.

If you drop the transmission from OD to 3rd does the vibration go away?

Walking
    Thanks

Fuel Filter, plugs and wires were replaced at 70000 miles (namely due to age - they were the factory originals). Vibration occurs between 45 and 55 mph whether the shifter is in '2', '3' or '4'. It does not stop if you manually up/down shift during those speeds. Buick mechanic put 'ears' on the transmission today and says that it's 'off the charts' at the torque converter. Still no codes though, which is why he's still hesitant to crack open the transmission.

Edit -- Fuel filter was actually at 60000 miles, plugs/wires at 70000 miles.

Thanks!
    Last edited by chrisholland03; 09-22-2012 at 09:54 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think the 2000 year models have so much code capability as later models. If it's not slipping, it's probably not storing a code. If the TC is noisy, I'd say you've found your vibration problem.

Walking
    Thanks

Was there a resolution, was the exact cause determined?
    I have the exact same symptom on 2000 LeSabre with 136K miles.
    The GM mechanic with 25 years experience swore it was a rim or tire or rotor, after 3 visits.
    All swapped out, plus front steering components -- still same symptom remains.
    Thanks for any input. H. Jonson, Poway, CA

Walking
    Thanks

Not to raise an old thread from the dead, but i did want to provide a resolution.

From the initial post, the first thing the mechanic checked for was tires/wheels/axles. He said bent/worn axles are common on G body vehicles. His initial diagnosis was that the axles were bad (and they were) and replaced them, but the problem didn't go away.

The week before we were going to take it in for a new transmission, he pulled a hail mary and put on another set of new axles. The problem went away -- evidently the 'new' replacement right axle was bad.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tomko's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you for getting back to us.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)
    1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)
    1984 6000 STE (first car)

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information