1996 S10 Blazer 4.3L no spark?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1996 S10 Blazer 4.3L no spark?

Walking
    Thanks

1996 S10 Blazer 4.3L no spark?

Ran fine. Intake manifold started leaking antifreeze. Pulled into shop. Removed intake manifold. 230K miles so I went ahead and pulled the WP and front cover to look at timing chain. Not too bad but I replaced it anyway. New front cover and new WP also. Replaced upper and lower manufold gaskets with OEM from GM. Put engine a TDC, installed distributor back in with rotor pointing at the "6" stamped in top of distributor. Installed new cap and rotor. buttoned up. NO SPARK.
    Rechecked distirbutor location. checked to be sure I plugged both the crank and cam sensors back in. Pulled crank sensor to be sure I didn't get any silicone on it when I installed the front cover. Checked and I have power to distributor and coil with key on. WTF! Any Ideas. What have I inadvertently disturbed? Surely its something obvious that I'm just missing. HELP?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: 1996 S10 Blazer 4.3L no spark?

well if u have compression in all cylinders most likely and no leaks the crank sensor has gone bad or u might need to reset the pcm means disconnecting the battery but i see your problem bring engine back to tdc and set number one on the disributor garenteed issue try that and it should start and o yeah if u wana be exact take the cap off after u set it on number one and just align it so u dont have to mess with it

Walking
    Thanks

Actually, when I put the distributor back in after I had the intake on and off, I had it set to #1. No spark.
    But going through the service manual, It said to find the #6 on the top of the distributor and mark the distributor at that location and install with rotor pointing to your mark at TDC. Still no spark.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

either your crank is not connected or your distributor module is not working -- points-- let me check all data for u and give u an idea and some pics is it 2 wd or 4x4

here a pic this could be disconnected or either bad

i saw this and this might be your main issue if u broke or dropped the distributor

Last edited by pontiac89gp; 03-25-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks for the information. I discovered that I was a tooth off with my distrubutor and had the P1345 code. I finally got the correct location of BOTH timing marks from the net. Distributor is now positioned correctly.
    I checked to be sure that I had power to the crank sensor. I pulled the crank sensor and checked for continuity through it. All I can say is that there are no opens in its curcitry.
    I rechecked all of my connections again. I tried dissconnecting the battery and reconnecting again to possibly reset the ECM, If that even works. I know it does with the ECM on our Volvo Construction equipment so I thought it was worth a try.
    I brought the crank sensor and the ignition control module to town with me this morning in hopes that the local Auto Parts store can check them.
    One other thing that I might add. When I pulled #1 spark plug to verify TDC on the compression stroke, the gap was huge. Looks like the original spark plugs still in it at 200K miles. I realize that that can't be good but could the added resistance have played a part in this?

Walking
    Thanks

Ran by O'Dummy's, I mean O'Reileys, with my Ignition Control Module. Had them check it with their test equipment. Tested bad. Bought new module. Installed new module, nothing. Still no spark.
    OK, now I feel like I'm just throwing parts at it. It has to be something simple that I'm just missing.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

any codes let me know i'll pinpoint it for u

Walking
    Thanks

No Codes. Just Mass Air, I think it was P102. I have the air cleaner assy off for access to the distributor.
    Its 4WD

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

well when u get it running let me know u need to disconeect i think mass air or iac to do the timing if i'm right with the check engine light on with the timing gun unless yours has a knock sensor if it has a knock sensor u might need to replace it i will check cause that can either retard or advance your timing

Walking
    Thanks

check your connections at the ign module and coil. I have had many of these trouble me when doing the intake reseal. I have had some where the wiring was broken in the insulation causing an intermittent open.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

i'm tellin u check the crank and cam sensor wires if no spark bad knock sensor and crank if the crank isn't working u wont get power but wait does yours have a lead coil ? check if your getting 12 volts at the coil why didn't i think of this before lol soo yeah if u get 12 volts and no power to the distributor either bad distributor i can show u a movie tomorrow i will post on you tube just for u umm just remind me my email is frankyiq@yahoo.com

Walking
    Thanks

Here is where I stand now. Replaced ICM and I now have spark.
    I finally have the distributor installed in the correct location. WOW! I have looked at several service manuals and instructions for installing the distributor. They all varied with their explanations or were wrong.

1. Crankshaft is at TDC on the compression stroke of #1 cylinder (right front, facing front of engine)

2. New Timing gear/chain set is installed with punch marked teeth aligned with each other. (crank gear mark up, cam gear mark down)

3. Marks (2) on harmonic balancer aligned with marks (2) on new front timing gear cover.

4. Distributor installed with new distributor rotor pointing at tab (with w #6 stamped on it) on inside circumference of distributor housing. NOT with the other #6 stamped in the top of the distributor housing.

5. New distributor cap with wires installed correctly. Each cylinder wire as per firing order, installed in cap as cap is marked.

6. 60 PSI fuel pressure. With key on or cranking.

Engine still won’t start. Only error code is for mass air sensor. I have it unplugged because the intake is off.
    I’m at a loss as to what to do next. HELP!

Walking
    Thanks

Finally fixed. Was the crank sensor. Thanks for all of the help.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information