1993 Lumina 3.1 V6 trouble code 42

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1993 Lumina 3.1 V6 trouble code 42

Walking
    Thanks

Angry 1993 Lumina 3.1 V6 trouble code 42

I received code 42 on my 3.1 V6 and I need help something about the ground on the Ignition system. I can be drivng down the road and the car will just sputter idle ruff and shut down motor. other times I can be driving it just fine at 65 -70 mph just fine for longer than 50 miles and it will run fine. However when I stop to get dinner or something like for 40 mins or so it take ten mins to get it to start again, it turns over starts for a brief second backfires then shuts off and I repeat the process. I looked this up in the book and it says Something about the electronic spark timing ciruit of the Distributorless ignition module. Is this saying that the ignition control moduel is bad? Plz PLz PLZ help anyone plz
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: 1993 Lumina 3.1 V6 trouble code 42

Thanks for you help but I have heard that if it that sensor was bad it wouldnt run at all. Is that true? what other things could it be? What controls the timeing on this car? Thanks again let me knw what you find plz.

Thanks

uh oh...
    ECM might have gone fubar....

happened in my Corsica with the same 3.1L V6.

didnt get no trouble code, but the **************** thing wouldnt start. Sometimes it would and then it would be able to drive awhile, but then die. Sometimes it would make it to our destination and home no problem Then eventually it got severe enough that it wouldnt even start. It would turn, you could hear it turn, and attempt to start, but then it just wouldnt start and it dies.

We replaced the ECM and all was well.
    How much Koolaid have you drunk today?
    IS it enough for the win? Or should we wait till next year?

Walking
    Thanks

what is the ECM? Is that the computer box or a sensor? So if the ignition control module is bad that isnt so bad to fix. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

the ECM is the Electrotic Control Module (or whatever the hell the name is...i forgot).

I think in my Corsica its behind the glove box.
    Its basically a metal box where the computer chip and other such computer doodads reside. Its an expensive **************************** tho. I would get a mechanic to check all possible options before concluding that the ECM has gone bad.
    If you really want to be bold you can jack an ECM from a dead car in a junkyard with the same engine. preferably the same year. Considering most GM cars from 1990-1994 had the same 3.1 engine this shouldnt be a big problem. i believe the ECM's are swappable because in this case the only thing you really need to replace is an EPROM chip or something, which is specific to your car. Just pop it out of the old ECM and put it in the new one. It can save you money but you shouldnt try this unless you know waht your doing. And remember im not 100% sure of everything ive said. I know its mostly accurate but not 100% sure if its all correct.

The Ignition module controls the cylinder firings. IF the Ignition module goes bad you'd lose cylinders so your car would effectively run on less than 6 and would be weak as all heck. Bu tit will still run. This one should be located on the front of the engine, just below the front 3 spark plugs (it'll be this black thingy with the 6 spark plug wires attached to it). Both problems ive had to deal with.

With the ECM, the whole engine got all fubared with the starting and stuff. Sometimes it took several dozen tries to get it to run. And eventually it got so bad that it wouldnt even run. You can hear it turn over but dies right away. Needed to replace the ECM before everything went back to normal.

With the Ignition module (assuming that IS the same Ignition control module) the engine runs fine but is so incredibly weak and slow that you know you are running on less cylinders. plus the exhaust sounds like a putt putt sound.
    The engine starts no problem but takes like 2x or 3x as long to get up to speed. With this particular engine you have 3 ignition coils attached to the module. IF the coil is bad, you just need to find the one that controls the dead cylinders and replace it. If the module is bad replacing the coils would do nothing to help reactivate the dead cylinders, so the whole thing needs to be replaced. the coils should be ok and the coil controlling the dead cylinders MAY need to also be replaced.
    How much Koolaid have you drunk today?
    IS it enough for the win? Or should we wait till next year?

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information