1991 Pontiac Sunbird

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1991 Pontiac Sunbird

Walking
    Thanks

1991 Pontiac Sunbird

Year/Make/Model: 1991 PONTIAC SUNBIRD LE Body Style: SEDAN 4 DR Engine Type: 2.0L L4 EFI/TBI/FI
    I have a 1991 Pontiac Sunbird. The other day it died on me. I have had it towed to a mechanic who has told me that the water pump has gone along with the timing belt.

He is not able to tell me if the engine type is interference or non interference. He wants $518 to repair the car but also added that if the engine is an interference design, there is a chance there will be more damage and that the cost of repair could sky rocket. There is the chance therefore that I could spend over $500 only to find out that the car doesn't work. I paid $400 for the car from a friend who went overseas.

Anyone any idea if the engine is an interference design and therefore likely to have been damaged by the timing belt? Does the quote for work sound realistic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: 1991 Pontiac Sunbird

It is an interference engine. Did the car stall while driving? Did the car just not start? I know we've gotten by on those series OHC's when the belt fails, in SOME cases, if the engine speed was low enough...we got by OK. The quote is realistic, IMO

Walking
    Thanks

Re: 1991 Pontiac Sunbird

Yes the card did stall whilst my wife was driving it. If it is an interference type then I assume that there is likely to be more damage that will send the repair cost into the stratosphere.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information