1990 Buick Park Ave Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1990 Buick Park Ave Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid

Thanks

1990 Buick Park Ave Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid

So my Buick has been shuddering at around 35-40 and 55-60 and randomly stalling out when coming to a stop. I'm sure some of you have read my recent posts here regarding my issues. Anyway, I've been browsing around the internet, and came across a similar issue. The guy stated that disconnecting the wiring from the sensor mounted on the front of the transmission case can be helpful in diagnosing the problem and narrowing it down to a tcc solenoid issue. Well I went ahead and did that temporarily and my issues all went away. When I would typically feel the shuddering the check engine light comes on instead, and when the shuddering would go away typically the check engine light would go off. I think I've found my problem, so my question is, where can I find the parts to do this, and how complicated is it? Is it something I can do, and if not how much am I looking at. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dream Vehicles: 88-91 Reatta, an early 80s Buick Wagon, or any 79+ Riviera
    Current Vehicles:
    2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Special NYC two tone Edition (1 of 300 made) 70K miles
    1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue White w/ soft top and red leather interior. 76K miles
    Dead/Retired Vehicles:
    1998 Buick Riviera ~105,000, and totaled after being rear ended
    1990 Buick Park Avenue ~300,000 loyal miles before death from oil starvation. May you R.I.P. Christine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: 1990 Buick Park Ave Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid

its not horrible, parts available at a GM dealer, should be on hand, may not be.

some are easier than others, not sure on the park aves.

best bet is take it to the dealer. i would definitely agree with you, i would chase the TCC solenoid as well, sounds like thats what is causing your problems.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Sure sounds like a sticking TCC to me.It was more common on the older 3 speed trans though.You have a 4 speed.Any good trans shop should be able to drop that side cover and replace the solenoid.They should also check the control valve in the valve body to make sure it is not sticking.
    GM World Class Certified
    ASE Master Tech
    ASE Truck Tech
    ASE Service Consultant
    ASE Advance Engine Performance L1
    GM MOE 2005 Gold
    Gm MOE 2006 Gold

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I woke up today and found my dad under the car attempting to replace the parts with a friend of his who was a mechanic supposedly. Let's hope they know what they're doing...

Can anyone possibly go into detail on how about to actually get at and replace the parts? I'm just curious, and I'm a little bit peeved at my dad right now for attempting this already. Just want to know what exactly is involved.

Dream Vehicles: 88-91 Reatta, an early 80s Buick Wagon, or any 79+ Riviera
    Current Vehicles:
    2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Special NYC two tone Edition (1 of 300 made) 70K miles
    1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue White w/ soft top and red leather interior. 76K miles
    Dead/Retired Vehicles:
    1998 Buick Riviera ~105,000, and totaled after being rear ended
    1990 Buick Park Avenue ~300,000 loyal miles before death from oil starvation. May you R.I.P. Christine.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information