'09 Siverado needs more power

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '09 Siverado needs more power

Walking
    Thanks

Unhappy '09 Siverado needs more power

Where's Tim Taylor when you need a rewire? HA-HA!

I have a '09 Texas Edition Siverado Crew Cab Short Bed with 5.3 that can't live up to it's name. I bought it new, and have about 38000 miles on it now.

I lived with the wimpy 5.3 for this long, but recently I purchased an RV trailer that I would like to pull with it.

My observation from start:
    Comparing my truck to my wifes '08 Tahoe (5.3), the wifes Tahoe will walk off and leave me. Also she was getting an average 24mpg on the highway (by computer), while I'm getting 15.6. The two differences that I know for sure (besides the years), is 5 speed automatic, and flexfuel (hers).

Changes I've made recently (within the last week):
    1.Replaced 3.42 gears with 4.10. Getting a little better MPG on the highway now.
    2.Installed K&N cold air intake kit just to have the check engine light come on with the running TOO lean codes. K&N advised me to remove and replace the factory intake.
    3. Installed a throttle body spacer with slight change in throttle response.

With the 4.10 gears, I can pull my trailer a little better, but something is still holding it back. WAY BACK!

I would appreciate any and all help I can get to stop wasting money on slight changes. I have about $1500 to try to get the most out of it.

Thank you for listening and your advise.

Dooner

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: '09 Siverado needs more power

your tahoe doesnt have a 5 speed- its a 4 or 6. probably a 6 if theres that much of a performance difference between your trucks. yours has a 4 almost definitely and thats where all the difference is. 15 mpg does seem low though- i even get better than that highway. flexfuel means nothing unless you put e85 in it- and doing that you'll get worse mpg. all flexfuel means is that its e85 capable.

get a custom tune (not a programmer). that will wake the engine right up. an exhaust could help too. ive heard great things about black bear performance but have no personal experience. the difference between a tune and a programmer is that programmers cant tune the tranny in the new trucks- only the engine. you need both for the tune to be effective.

and of course k&n advised you to remove the stock intake- they want to sell you theirs. the stock intake is a true CAI since it pulls air from the fender and not the engine bay like the k&n. the big drawback to the stock intake is the tube itself- thats where all the turbulence is. if i were to change the intake personally i like the banks or volant kits since you can get a ram air scoop thats near the tow hook- but i like to go offroad.
    Last edited by chakis24; 03-20-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dooner View Post
    Where's Tim Taylor when you need a rewire? HA-HA!

I have a '09 Texas Edition Siverado Crew Cab Short Bed with 5.3 that can't live up to it's name. I bought it new, and have about 38000 miles on it now.

I lived with the wimpy 5.3 for this long, but recently I purchased an RV trailer that I would like to pull with it.

My observation from start:
    Comparing my truck to my wifes '08 Tahoe (5.3), the wifes Tahoe will walk off and leave me. Also she was getting an average 24mpg on the highway (by computer), while I'm getting 15.6. The two differences that I know for sure (besides the years), is 5 speed automatic, and flexfuel (hers).

Changes I've made recently (within the last week):
    1.Replaced 3.42 gears with 4.10. Getting a little better MPG on the highway now.
    2.Installed K&N cold air intake kit just to have the check engine light come on with the running TOO lean codes. K&N advised me to remove and replace the factory intake.
    3. Installed a throttle body spacer with slight change in throttle response.

With the 4.10 gears, I can pull my trailer a little better, but something is still holding it back. WAY BACK!

I would appreciate any and all help I can get to stop wasting money on slight changes. I have about $1500 to try to get the most out of it.

Thank you for listening and your advise.

Dooner
    If you have to pull, you have to pull.

But understand going in that a tune or a programmer may void the powertrain warranty.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chakis24 View Post
    your tahoe doesnt have a 5 speed- its a 4 or 6. probably a 6 if theres that much of a performance difference between your trucks. yours has a 4 almost definitely and thats where all the difference is. 15 mpg does seem low though- i even get better than that highway. flexfuel means nothing unless you put e85 in it- and doing that you'll get worse mpg. all flexfuel means is that its e85 capable.

get a custom tune (not a programmer). that will wake the engine right up. an exhaust could help too. ive heard great things about black bear performance but have no personal experience. the difference between a tune and a programmer is that programmers cant tune the tranny in the new trucks- only the engine. you need both for the tune to be effective.

and of course k&n advised you to remove the stock intake- they want to sell you theirs. the stock intake is a true CAI since it pulls air from the fender and not the engine bay like the k&n. the big drawback to the stock intake is the tube itself- thats where all the turbulence is. if i were to change the intake personally i like the banks or volant kits since you can get a ram air scoop thats near the tow hook- but i like to go offroad.

The '08 Tahoe has a 4 speed automatic trans (MY BAD). My '09 Silverado has a 6 speed automatic trans.
    The Tahoe runs 1900 RPM at 70MPH with 3.42 rear gears. My Silverado ran 1750 RPM at 70MPH with the 3.42 rear gears, and now runs 2100 RPM at 70MPH with the 4.10 rear gears.
    Both have 5.3 Vortec and running P275/55R20.
    Tahoe has way more noticable power than the Silverado.

K&N advised me to take off their cold air intake system and put the stock intake back on. They are refunding my money that I spent on their kit.

I need to know what has been proven to wake this engine up.

Trucks should come from the factory ready to do a hard days work without a complaint. They at least need a good reliable 350 cid.

Dooner
    Last edited by Dooner; 03-20-2011 at 06:04 PM.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC American Iron's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 GMC Acadia

The '08 Tahoe has a 4 speed automatic trans (MY BAD). My '09 Silverado has a 6 speed automatic trans.
    The Tahoe runs 1900 RPM at 70MPH with 3.42 rear gears. My Silverado ran 1750 RPM at 70MPH with the 3.42 rear gears, and now runs 2100 RPM at 70MPH with the 4.10 rear gears.

K&N advised me to take off their cold air intake system and put the stock intake back on. They are refunding my money that I spent on their kit.

Trucks should come from the factory ready to do a hard days work without a complaint. They at least need a good reliable 350 cid.

Dooner
    The 4.10 gear is going to help with towing, but overall your fuel economy is going to suffer.

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO M6 QSM/ black

OP, is your Silverado 6spd starting off in 2nd gear instead of 1st?
    Your 6spd has significantly more 1st gear torque multiplication than the 4speed.

Unfortunately they often put the 3.08s in the vehicles with the 6speeds. But your 4.10s should hve cured most of that.

I would maybe have a good tuner look at it and see if he sees anything wrong with the a/f mixture or timing or sparkplugs and wires. If timing is being pulled due to spark knock or if the computer thinks there is spark knock that will really hurt acceleration.

You can also have the tuner take out some of the torque management, it will shift harder and won't pull as much timing before going to the next higher gear.

Another thing is that you both have heavy 20" rim and tire packages. if you want to pick up mileage go with an aluminum 17 or 18" wheel. You will be surprised at how much better acceleration, braking and mileage are with a lighter wheel.
    Last edited by b4z; 03-21-2011 at 08:16 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Dooner
    sorry i thought the tahoes got the 6 speeds in 08, but it wasnt until 2009. i thought the silvys didnt get the 6 speed until 2010 for some reason too- seems i was a little behind. i assumed k&n recommended replacing the stock intake too. glad theyre giving your money back.

i would still definitely get it tuned though- especially since you did the gear swap. its all the computer nannies that are holding the truck down.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Your Silverado's performance could be affected pretty significantly if it's a 4x4 (10 hp less IIRC). And even if it was the same engine, the SUV application of that engine is more powerful (5 HP) than if it was in your truck.

You could compare the weight of the two, though I would suspect the SUV to weigh more, the Tahoe could actually weight less than the Silverado. The transmissions could be different. There are many factors that could cause your truck to have different performance than your SUV, even if they have the same engine.
    Last edited by AveoUser; 03-22-2011 at 12:54 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

OK guys, I checked my hwy mpg yesterday and I am now getting 21.5mpg with three mods. The mods are, the 4.10 rear gears, throttle body spacer, and tonneau cover.

This is how I always check for the hwy milage. I fill my tank with fuel and reset the trip meter, get on the highway and easily accelerate to 70mph, put the DIC on average economy and reset. I go to the next city which is about 30 miles and fill my tank. I check my figure with the computer and it is the same within a tenth or two.

With the truck as stock, I was getting 15.6mpg.

I really not sure about the average economy with city and highway just yet.

Sounds like a good tuner is in order. And I don't think you guys are talking about a handheld unit, but A shop that specializes in tuning. I did take it to dealerships that had performance guys there, and was told that it would be a waste of our time and my money to get them to look at it because they can't do much.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to swap the computers from the Tahoe and my truck? And would that just cause more problems that help? The reason I ask is that my wife is trading her Tahoe in for an Escalade in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and my truck is 2wd.

Thanks very much guys.
    Dooner

'09 Texas Edition Silverado Crew Cab

Thanks

"1.Replaced 3.42 gears with 4.10. Getting a little better MPG on the highway now."

" My Silverado ran 1750 RPM at 70MPH with the 3.42 rear gears, and now runs 2100 RPM at 70MPH with the 4.10 rear gears."

"OK guys, I checked my hwy mpg yesterday and I am now getting 21.5mpg with three mods. The mods are, the 4.10 rear gears, throttle body spacer, and tonneau cover."

This does not sound possible.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    "1.Replaced 3.42 gears with 4.10. Getting a little better MPG on the highway now."

" My Silverado ran 1750 RPM at 70MPH with the 3.42 rear gears, and now runs 2100 RPM at 70MPH with the 4.10 rear gears."

"OK guys, I checked my hwy mpg yesterday and I am now getting 21.5mpg with three mods. The mods are, the 4.10 rear gears, throttle body spacer, and tonneau cover."

This does not sound possible.
    Lower gears can result in higher fuel economy if it allows the truck to be in 4-cylinder mode more often when cruising, although with a 2wd truck with a 6-speed, 4.10s seems way too low.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    Lower gears can result in higher fuel economy if it allows the truck to be in 4-cylinder mode more often when cruising, although with a 2wd truck with a 6-speed, 4.10s seems way too low.
    No way will one of these vehicles stay in "V-4" mode long enough to make a noticable difference. even if it would, the higher RPM's will wash out the gain.

Just my opinion......

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    No way will one of these vehicles stay in "V-4" mode long enough to make a noticable difference. even if it would, the higher RPM's will wash out the gain.

Just my opinion......
    Well if you lift a truck and put on taller tires, lower gears that get it close to the stock final drive ratio does exactly that. But, like I said, 4.10s with the 6-speed and stock tires are really low.

Banned
    Thanks

You just need one of these

Thanks

Or, one of these....

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information