07 Impala Flickering Headlights

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 07 Impala Flickering Headlights

Thanks

07 Impala Flickering Headlights

A few weeks ago I bought a new Impala LTZ. I just took it for a trip to CA for the holidays. So, I left when it was still dark. I noticed that the headlights and dash lights were noticably flickering. I thought is was maybe because I had my cell phone plugged in or something. Anyway, what I finally discovered is when the engine goes into 3 cyln mode, the lights flicker and continue to flicker as long as it stays in 3 cyln mode. As soon as it goes back to 6 cyln mode, they stop flickering.

Any of you 07 Impala 3.9L owners have this problem? Any of you techs heard of this? This cannot be a normal thing. Looks like I'm headed for a trip to the service department.
    Last edited by WannabeRich; 12-26-2006 at 08:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 07 Impala Flickering Headlights

The flickering is a function of the PCM running the alternator. The alt. field is switched by the PCM roughly 400 times/min, this only runs the alt as needed as a way to better fuel economy, my 02 silverado does it as well as most GM vehicles. There are TSB's out about this but if the alt is putting out an average above roughly 13.5 V then it tells svc dept to inform customer about PCM controls
    26yr veteran or the underhood wars, 13 at chevy dealer
    02 K2500HD CCLB, rancho 4" lift, 35" pro comp M/T. Workhorse not trailer queen Rick's Ride

It's great to be a Florida Gator

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

How do you know if you have one of those "computer controlled" alternators? I've noticed something similar on my '05 Impala, but it also seems related to idle-speed, so I figured that was the issue...(and thus nothing to worry about).
    Current vehicles:
    2013 Malibu 1LT
    2012 Edge SEL (Ecoboost)

Previous vehicles:
    2011 Ford Fusion SE
    2009 Impala 1LT
    2006 Volkwagen Jetta
    2007 Saturn Aura XE
    2005 Impala LS
    2002 Explorer Sport
    2002 Kia Spectra GSX
    2001 Ranger 4x4 4.0(SOHC)
    1998 Ranger 4x4 4.0(OHV)
    1986 Delta 88

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ockgator
    The flickering is a function of the PCM running the alternator. The alt. field is switched by the PCM roughly 400 times/min, this only runs the alt as needed as a way to better fuel economy, my 02 silverado does it as well as most GM vehicles. There are TSB's out about this but if the alt is putting out an average above roughly 13.5 V then it tells svc dept to inform customer about PCM controls
    Thanks for this info, ockgator. Sounds like you are implying this is a normal situation. If my dealer's service department tries to tell me that, it will not go down well. That is an unacceptable condition.

Thanks

Replace it with a Delco Remy. Delphi garbage...
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Thanks

Delco is now Delphi. The original TSB's were for the Venture and Montana mini vans, expanded from there. If you have access to an oscilloscope and watch the field volts being switched you'll see what I mean. On a scanner it'll read alternator duty cycle.

I don't like it either, but I've seen same thing in Toyotas and Hondas. Any little thing to raise CAFE ratings.
    26yr veteran or the underhood wars, 13 at chevy dealer
    02 K2500HD CCLB, rancho 4" lift, 35" pro comp M/T. Workhorse not trailer queen Rick's Ride

It's great to be a Florida Gator

Thanks

Update: Finally got the car into service for this problem.

#PIC4354A 12-22-2006:
    2007 Impala/Monte Carlo only equipped with LZ8 3.9L engine.

Recommendation/Instructions: This is an emerging issue that is currently being reviewed by Engineering. At this time there is no service repair for this concern. Do not replace any parts. It has been verified that replacing the generator will not repair the light flicker. Please call TAC and set up a case to assist Engineering in tracking and collecting information on this concern. This PI will be updated when new information is available.

This is a proactive PI. When a TAC case is set and the service repair is available your dealer will be sent a DCS message.

Well, at least I did not get the old "could not recreate the symptom" explanation.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Seems to me that they could have avoided this whole issue simply by putting capacitors on the lighting circuits..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeRich
    Update: Finally got the car into service for this problem.

#PIC4354A 12-22-2006:
    2007 Impala/Monte Carlo only equipped with LZ8 3.9L engine.

Recommendation/Instructions: This is an emerging issue that is currently being reviewed by Engineering. At this time there is no service repair for this concern. Do not replace any parts. It has been verified that replacing the generator will not repair the light flicker. Please call TAC and set up a case to assist Engineering in tracking and collecting information on this concern. This PI will be updated when new information is available.

This is a proactive PI. When a TAC case is set and the service repair is available your dealer will be sent a DCS message.

Well, at least I did not get the old "could not recreate the symptom" explanation.
    Cool good to hear. Hopefully they will have a fix soon.

2002 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.4L (Loser Series ) 35MPG

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

this is a normal function for the car.

yes it is noticable.

first one i ever seen i threw a cluster at it. never came back. it had what you described but the headlights didnt flicker. just the cluster lighting.

but yes as described above they found that the alternator is the cause for this. as well as the computers

alternators now days cant keep up with all the junk we have on cars.
    you see these 160 amp alternators that are water cooled, just imagine in a few years.

look 5 years ago. maximum you would see on a car was maybe 100 amp. maybe 110.

now we have 140-170 amp.

its crazy. we dont need any more electrical things on cars.
    its nice for business because it will always break down, but its just getting crazy
    Last edited by Triple-X08; 01-25-2007 at 01:59 PM.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Keep us updated as to your status and whether there is a fix available.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Canyonaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08

look 5 years ago. maximum you would see on a car was maybe 100 amp. maybe 110.

now we have 140-170 amp.
    True, my 1996 Rodeo that I had, had only a 60 amp alt.
    Willy (from the Simpsons): Willy hears ya. Willy don't care.

Обладание Тойотой не плохо, только все те люди, которые ведут тот, думая это как Aмериканец.

GMI Folding@Home Thread

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY
    Replace it with a Delco Remy. Delphi garbage...

Well, most GM's do come with garbage now for electrics...

Denso, Valeo or Siemens...take your pic...

We never had unrepairable issues like this with a Delco/Delphi alternator...

Never...

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma
    Well, most GM's do come with garbage now for electrics...

Denso, Valeo or Siemens...take your pic...

We never had unrepairable issues like this with a Delco/Delphi alternator...

Never...
    If I understand correctly, it has nothing to do with the alternator itself.. Instead the computer is shutting off the alternator to reduce drag, which causes the car to intermittently run off the battery. So it's basically the same thing as when you shut off the engine, and all the lights dim. If that's the case I don't see why they couldn't just issue a software update. Unless the alternator can't handle running continuously, or it would impact fuel economy significantly.

I also wonder how this affects battery life.. Car batteries are made for brief high-current loads (the starter); they don't handle sustained low-current draws as well. That's why trolling motors use special "deep cycle" batteries.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rearden82
    If I understand correctly, it has nothing to do with the alternator itself.. Instead the computer is shutting off the alternator to reduce drag, which causes the car to intermittently run off the battery. So it's basically the same thing as when you shut off the engine, and all the lights dim. If that's the case I don't see why they couldn't just issue a software update. Unless the alternator can't handle running continuously, or it would impact fuel economy significantly.

I also wonder how this affects battery life.. Car batteries are made for brief high-current loads (the starter); they don't handle sustained low-current draws as well. That's why trolling motors use special "deep cycle" batteries.

In that case...many BCM's are no longer Delphi/Delco...but also Siemens & Valeo...

IMO, GM should look again in it's own backyard...

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information