'05 Sunfire Erratic Temp Gauge

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '05 Sunfire Erratic Temp Gauge

Walking
    Thanks

'05 Sunfire Erratic Temp Gauge

I have an '05 Sunfire in which the temp gauge has gone erratic. When the prob 1st started, with the car cold, the needle would read something ridiculous like 200 degrees, then just climb from there once the car was running. The temps seem normal. Now the gauge is pinned all the way to the right, all the time. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: '05 Sunfire Erratic Temp Gauge

200 degrees is normal. I'd go look under the hood and find your radiator hoses. Their will be 2 of them. When the car is up to normal operating temp both hoses should be really hot to the touch. If one is hot and the other isn't then you've likely got a bad thermostat or water pump. If they both feel the same and you've got good, lasting heat out of the dash vents then it's the gauge.
    '95 Accord EX-L 302k daily driver
    '07 Odyssey EX-L RES 88k
    '95 2500 Ram 12v-324k

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    200 degrees is normal. I'd go look under the hood and find your radiator hoses. Their will be 2 of them. When the car is up to normal operating temp both hoses should be really hot to the touch. If one is hot and the other isn't then you've likely got a bad thermostat or water pump. If they both feel the same and you've got good, lasting heat out of the dash vents then it's the gauge.
    200 degrees is not normal when it's 20 degrees outside & the car's been sitting for 18 hrs. There's a prob w/the gauge...the car's temp seems fine. The gauge needle is pinned ALL THE WAY the the right (beyond temp readings).

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Probably the wire to the sensor has broken, resistance -> infinite and thus infinite temperature...

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WaWaZat View Post
    200 degrees is not normal when it's 20 degrees outside & the car's been sitting for 18 hrs. There's a prob w/the gauge...the car's temp seems fine. The gauge needle is pinned ALL THE WAY the the right (beyond temp readings).

So you're saying that it reads that immediately? If so, you've got a bad gauge, wire or sender. Not likely the wire though.
    '95 Accord EX-L 302k daily driver
    '07 Odyssey EX-L RES 88k
    '95 2500 Ram 12v-324k

Banned
    Thanks

on an 05 sunfire the gauge is controlled by the pcm over the class 2 data line,the pcm recieves signals from the ect sensor and sends them to the ipc.if the ect sensor was reading 200 degrees when its that cold engine wouldnt even try to start and also cel would be on.most likely the problem is in ipc itself.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scooter10572 View Post
    on an 05 sunfire the gauge is controlled by the pcm over the class 2 data line,the pcm recieves signals from the ect sensor and sends them to the ipc.if the ect sensor was reading 200 degrees when its that cold engine wouldnt even try to start and also cel would be on.most likely the problem is in ipc itself.
    What/where is the ipc?

I was told by a gauge repair shop, that I found w/Google, that this happens in these cars all the time. They said the motors go bad & that it won't be long before the rest of the gauges go silly. They say for $235, they will put upgraded motors in all the gauges if I send the cluster. Any input???

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

$235 is silly money you should be able to buy a new set of gauges at the junkyard or on ebay for like $20. And then you have two!

IPC is that assembly with the gauges, panel behind them, etc.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    $235 is silly money you should be able to buy a new set of gauges at the junkyard or on ebay for like $20. And then you have two!

IPC is that assembly with the gauges, panel behind them, etc.
    Oh so Instrument Panel Cluster???

If this is an incessant prob, buying a used one would still leave the likeliness of it happening again. Anyone know how rampant this issue really is?

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WaWaZat View Post
    I have an '05 Sunfire in which the temp gauge has gone erratic. When the prob 1st started, with the car cold, the needle would read something ridiculous like 200 degrees, then just climb from there once the car was running. The temps seem normal. Now the gauge is pinned all the way to the right, all the time. Anyone know how to fix this?
    This same thing just happened to me the other day. I thought my car was overheating so after I shut it off and turned it back on later, the gauge was all messed up and pinned to the right as well...it also messed my tach up too. It says I am running at like 4-5k all the time. Did you ever figure out what the problem was or how to fix WaWaZat?

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jfire05 View Post
    This same thing just happened to me the other day. I thought my car was overheating so after I shut it off and turned it back on later, the gauge was all messed up and pinned to the right as well...it also messed my tach up too. It says I am running at like 4-5k all the time. Did you ever figure out what the problem was or how to fix WaWaZat?
    No, just left it... haha. The prob comes & goes with different gauges. The temp gauge went back to normal for a while then the tach started acting up. Now it's the speedometer... sometimes says we're doing about 125 when we're cruisin' at 40. Not a great way to keep a serious eye on things but fun to think of the car as having a whacky personality.

Seems this is a common prob and the only way to fix it is to have the cluster repaired... expensive, or buy a new one... also expensive. Perhaps you may have luck with a junkyard/ebay find.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information