05 Malibu Steering Tie Rods Replaced?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 05 Malibu Steering Tie Rods Replaced?

Walking
    Thanks

05 Malibu Steering Tie Rods Replaced?

Good Morning,

I have a 2005 Malibu LT sedan that I bought new two years ago. I have 50k miles on it, and after several alingments at the dealer, it was pulling hard left. I took it back to them and they replaced the steering gear and tie rods (it was covered under GMPP). I can't express how wonderful the service was and how good the dealer was to me. It did indeed fix the problem, BUT...

I am worried that this problem will happen again once the veicle is out of GMPP warranty (the repair would have cost me $700!!! Yikes.). Should I sell this car and cut my losses? What are the chances the steering gear and tie rods will go bad on this car again?

Thanks,

Jeff Poole
    Last edited by stringteacher1; 01-26-2007 at 09:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: 05 Malibu Steering Tie Rods Replaced?

It happens...

Has my GM dealer replaced a lot of them...
    Not really... on the current Malibu or G6...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

If it is working to your satisfaction right now, and isn't prone to problems, then I'd hang on to it.

The hit you'd take after trading in any newish car like that will be much more than $700.

Walking
    Thanks

Thank you both. You are right. The car runs beautifully now. Better than it did new, and the steering feels vastly different. I'm just worried that this problem may reoccur every 50,000 miles and cost me dearly.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Canyonaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stringteacher1
    Thank you both. You are right. The car runs beautifully now. Better than it did new, and the steering feels vastly different. I'm just worried that this problem may reoccur every 50,000 miles and cost me dearly.
    I have an '04 and haven't had that problem. I don't hear much of them either. So as the others have said, I would just hang onto it and enjoy it.
    Willy (from the Simpsons): Willy hears ya. Willy don't care.

Обладание Тойотой не плохо, только все те люди, которые ведут тот, думая это как Aмериканец.

GMI Folding@Home Thread

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stringteacher1
    The only recourring suspension problems I have heard of are in used cars that were involved in an accident and are not properly fixed, or in off road vehicles that get abused. That sort of problem is rare on cars like Malibus, anyway, so I'd bet there was some sort of minor defect in your car that caused it to act funny (defects shouldn't happen in a perfect world). If it is fixed now, then you are OK. Keep an eye on it...of course, have the dealer check it out if anything funny happens.

If you want to get rid of it, definately wait for the new 2008 Malibu before you decide. A lot of the same mechanicals as the current car, but with a roomy interior, nicer materials, more power, 100000 mile warranty, etc. Probably cost as much as the Impala, though.

I like the Malibu LT. The ones with leather have the perforated seats with those inserts. They look expensive and they seem to age pretty well.
    Last edited by member12; 01-26-2007 at 02:02 PM.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information