GM Inside News Forum banner

'04 Cavalier Fuel Pump Relay ??????

51K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Jcviloria 
#1 ·
Anyone have a problem with this before ?

Put a new fuel pump in. Now the relay won't work when it is plugged in. Voltage is there and when connector is bypassed, the car starts right up.

Help.

#3 ·
Sorry I'll be more specific.

There is no fuel pressure. Test for 12 volts at floor connector and it has 12 voltsa and ground through circuit. We plugged the connector in and with meter in line with circuit and key on engine off has no voltage.

Disconnect the connector, tap into with 12 volts directly to the fuel pump and the fuel pump runs. PLug it back in and no pump what so ever.

Checked resistence on ground circuit, .56 ohms ..............

Sorry I wasn't more specific first time around. Whatever you can throw our way would be appreciated.

Thanks ........

#4 ·
Subject:Crank, No Start, Low or No Fuel Pressure - kw C200 connector crimp 2.2 2.4 L61 LD9 LN2 power pump stall terminal #PIC3189A - (11/12/2004)

Models:.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.
Condition/Concern:

Crank no start, low or no fuel pressure.
Recommendation/Instructions:

If you have low or no fuel pressure, check for proper voltage at the fuel pump connector. If you DO NOT have proper voltage, then inspect connector 200 (located in the drivers side kick panel) terminal W for proper terminal crimp.
Note: This is a grey wire in terminal " W " There have been cases found where this terminal was melted because of the poor terminal crimp. Inspect and repair this terminal and retest operation if same condition then continue on with SI Document # 859854.
Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.
Models:

(99-05 Chevrolet Cavalier) and ( 99-05 Pontiac Sunfire)

#6 ·
Fuel Pump Electrical Circuit Diagnosis

Circuit Description

The control module enables the fuel pump relay when the ignition switch is turned ON. The control module will disable the fuel pump relay within two seconds unless the control module detects ignition reference pulses. The control module continues to enable the fuel pump relay as long as ignition reference pulses are detected. The control module disables the fuel pump relay within two seconds if ignition reference pulses cease to be detected and the ignition remains ON.
Step
Action
Yes
No
Schematic Reference: Engine Controls Schematics
Connect End View Reference: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Connector End Views or Engine Controls Connector End Views
Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-Engine Controls?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls
  1. <LI type=1>Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. <LI type=1>Command the fuel pump relay ON and OFF with a scan tool.
  2. Repeat the commands as necessary.
Does the fuel pump turn ON and OFF?
Go to Intermittent Conditions
Go to Step 3
Command the fuel pump relay ON and OFF with a scan tool.
Do you hear the fuel pump relay click when you command the fuel pump relay ON and OFF?
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 4
  1. <LI type=1>Turn OFF the ignition. <LI type=1>Remove the fuel pump relay. <LI type=1>Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. <LI type=1>Probe the control circuit of the fuel pump relay with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground. Refer to Probing Electrical Connectors in Wiring Systems.
  2. Command the fuel pump relay ON and OFF with a scan tool.
Does the test lamp turn ON and OFF?
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 6
  1. <LI type=1>Connect a test lamp between the control circuit of the fuel pump relay and the ground circuit of the fuel pump relay.
  2. Command the fuel pump relay ON and OFF with a scan tool.
Does the test lamp turn ON and OFF?
Go to Step 19
Go to Step 22
Does the test lamp remain illuminated with each command?
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 8
Test the control circuit of the fuel pump relay for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you find and correct the condition?
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 26
Test the control circuit of the fuel pump relay for a short to ground or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 20
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Does the fuel pump operate continuously?
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 11
  1. <LI type=1>Turn OFF the ignition. <LI type=1>Remove the fuel pump relay.
  2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Does the fuel pump operate continuously?
Go to Step 21
Go to Step 25
Inspect the F/P INJ fuse.
Is the F/P INJ fuse open?
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 14
Important: The F/P INJ fuse also supplies ignition voltage to the fuel injectors. Test all related circuits for a short to ground.

1. <LI type=1>Test the supply voltage circuit of the fuel pump for a short to ground between the F/P INJ fuse and the fuel pump. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
  2. Replace the F/P INJ fuse if necessary.
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 13
  1. <LI type=1>Connect all disconnected electrical components. <LI type=1>Install a new FP INJ fuse. <LI type=1>Command the fuel pump relay ON with a scan tool.
  2. Inspect the FP INJ fuse.
Is the FP INJ fuse open?
Go to Step 24
Go to Intermittent Conditions
  1. <LI type=1>Turn OFF the ignition. <LI type=1>Remove the fuel pump relay. <LI type=1>Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Probe the ignition 1 voltage circuit of the fuel pump relay, switch side, with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground. Refer to Probing Electrical Connectors in Wiring Systems.
Does the test lamp illuminate?
Go to Step 15
Go to Step 23
Connect a 15-amp fused jumper wire between the ignition 1 voltage circuit of the fuel pump relay and the supply voltage circuit of the fuel pump.
Does the fuel pump operate?
Go to Step 19
Go to Step 16
Test the supply voltage circuit of the fuel pump for an open or high resistance between the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 17
Important: Inspect the ground circuit for correct tightening, corrosion on the terminals, or damage to the wiring harness.

Test the ground circuit of the fuel pump for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 18
Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the fuel sender cover. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 24
Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the fuel pump relay. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 25
Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the PCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 26
Repair the short to voltage in the supply voltage circuit of the fuel pump. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you complete the repair?
Go to Step 27
--
Repair the open or high resistance in the ground circuit of the fuel pump relay . Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Go to Step 27
--
Repair the open in the ignition 1 voltage circuit of the fuel pump relay. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Go to Step 27
--
Important: Inspect for poor connections at the fuel pump, within the fuel tank, before replacing the fuel pump.

1. <LI type=1>Replace the fuel pump module. Refer to Fuel Pump Module Replacement .
  2. Replace the FP INJ fuse if necessary.
Did you complete the replacement?
Go to Step 27
--
Replace the fuel pump relay.
Go to Step 27
--
Replace the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement .
Go to Step 27
--
Operate the system in order to verify the repair.
Did you correct the condition?
System OK
Go to Step 2

#14 ·
Hi, new member here.

i have tons of experience with Subaru's but none with chevy's.

My GF's 2001 Cavalier has had the fuel pump replaced almost 1 year ago. Now she's having the same issues again where the car will just die while driving.

When she tries to start the car i can hear the fuel pump making noise.
I also hear a buzzing/clicking coming from the fuel pump relay under the hood.
I also unscrewed the fuel port on the rail and pressed down on the plunger and no fuel sprayed out. not sure if that's important or not.

I read through the forums and it looks like it could be this "connector 200" but I'm unable to find it under the dash. Anyone have a picture or better instructions?

I don't really want to replace the fuel pump again, but I know that still could be the problem. I'd just like to check the rest of my options first.

Thanks for any help.

-ben

#16 ·
I am having the same problem, no power to the fuel pump, new pump, new relay, new filter, fuses check out good ? I traced every wire and connection from front to back, still no power to fuel pump, when direct hot wire to pump, works fine ( no injectors ) Any idaes from where to go from here ?? 99 Cav' 2.4, auto

#17 ·
Hi everyone I just signed on. This is my 1st post

I am having a similar problem as outline. Our 04 Cavalier worked great till I tried to start it this morning Cranks no start. There is no fuel pressure I checked the relay under the hood it was ok, I checked the 15 amp F/P fuse in the car and that was ok. When I turn the key no sound comming from the fuel pump. How can the car run perfect the night before and no start in the morning. You guys talked abought a grey wire inside the left panel is that wire hooked-up to the ECU or ??

#19 ·
I haven't ever changed out anyone's fuel pump relay yet. Anyone that has a 2003 -2005 Cavalier with over 50k miles, I recommend changing the fuel pump and fuel pump connector and fuel filter because it will go out! The 2003 models are the worst! I have a 2003 and work on 2003-2005 models everyday. Oh, and buy an extra driver/front power window motor because that will also go out in 50k miles. Mine has 90k miles and I changed it twice already. The second time, I put in a new window regulator too because it was binding.

#20 ·
Hello, i'm from Venezuela...it's very interesting your post. I would like your help with a small but at the same time big problem with m 1997 2.2 chevrolet cavalier. Suddenly my car won't start and i saw that the check engine light was coming on and off and a buzzing sound on the fuel pump Relay..after 2 seconds appears the theft system on. I know a little bit about electrical repairs but my doubt about this particular problem is that control module you're talking about. I don't know for certain if the buzzing sound on the fuel pump relay is produced by a short circuit or if the theft system is doing that through the control module. I've tried turning the switch to the "ON" position then the check engine light goes on but after 3-4 seconds starts this sound and comes on the theft system light. Would gladly appreciate if you could help me with this issue due the fact that my car won't start. I have checked the Ignition Commutator and seems to be ok. Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.