03 Silverado 2500HD Cluster issues?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03 Silverado 2500HD Cluster issues?

Thanks

03 Silverado 2500HD Cluster issues?

Hi All! I'm relatively new to the site and read alot more than I post. I recently purchased a 2003 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 6L truck all is fine but the cluster. While driving the spedometer will occasionally start to jump around, while it does this the ABS and parking brake lights come on and the transmission will jump between 3rd and 4th gears. It will do this for about a minute or to then I'm ok for awhile. I've seen many post about stepper motors but those posts seem to mention a STUCK or DEAD needle and mine is always on the move. I'm thinking speed sensor? Also the last time I tried to get the codes read the mechanic could not pull any, no power nothing. Truck seems ok otherwise. Any opinions on speed sensor idea? I'm thinking of doing that first then stepper motors if sensor doesn't cure it, and ant ideas as to why we can't pull codes would also plenty helpfull. Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 03 Silverado 2500HD Cluster issues?

The cigrette lighter fuse powers the OBD11 port. Its under the hood.

2005 GMC Sierra, ext cab, 2 whl dr, 5.3, 3.73 gears with G80 locker, Z85 suspension, Z82 tow package, Diablo tuned, Corsa touring exhaust, GMPP CAI, corvette servo, billet 4th hold servo, Firestone airbags, Taylor 8.2 thundervolt wires, power slot rotors, cluster with trans temp gage, Mag-Hytec trans and diff cover, Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein HD shocks, AMW PVC catch can,

3/5 CAV, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam, 1969

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1low1 View Post
    Hi All! I'm relatively new to the site and read alot more than I post. I recently purchased a 2003 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 6L truck all is fine but the cluster. While driving the spedometer will occasionally start to jump around, while it does this the ABS and parking brake lights come on and the transmission will jump between 3rd and 4th gears. It will do this for about a minute or to then I'm ok for awhile. I've seen many post about stepper motors but those posts seem to mention a STUCK or DEAD needle and mine is always on the move. I'm thinking speed sensor? Also the last time I tried to get the codes read the mechanic could not pull any, no power nothing. Truck seems ok otherwise. Any opinions on speed sensor idea? I'm thinking of doing that first then stepper motors if sensor doesn't cure it, and ant ideas as to why we can't pull codes would also plenty helpfull. Thank you in advance.
    Here is a link to a company that can repair your cluster.
    http://www.ddinstruments.com/product...FcZM5QodwUb2kQ

Thanks

Thanks alot guys, I'm first going to check that fuse, I am somewhat confused as to my cluster now? eastcoasthd says I can get it fixed ( would that be the stepper motors) and gmcsonoma says i need new can I get a third opinion or can one of you two explain wht it's one and not the other. Thanks alot guys!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

What Sonoma said.

Get the cluster.

Thanks

There are people who can repair yours or you can get a new one. If you get a new one, the mileage will have to be programed into the new cluster. Mileage in full size trucks is only kept in the IPC, instrument panel cluster.

The Colorado and Canyon is kept in the BCM.
    Last edited by old geezer; 01-30-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    2005 GMC Sierra, ext cab, 2 whl dr, 5.3, 3.73 gears with G80 locker, Z85 suspension, Z82 tow package, Diablo tuned, Corsa touring exhaust, GMPP CAI, corvette servo, billet 4th hold servo, Firestone airbags, Taylor 8.2 thundervolt wires, power slot rotors, cluster with trans temp gage, Mag-Hytec trans and diff cover, Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein HD shocks, AMW PVC catch can,

3/5 CAV, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam, 1969

Thanks

Well my fuse was blown!!!! Will replace and get to my mechanic. Are the stepper motors the only issues in my cluster? I see alot of guys fixing those themselves is that an option for me or is it other issues in the cluster?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Does your truck fall under the GM recall/repair guidelines?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Special policy 7yr/70,000 miles from original date of purchase.

Not a recall.

Thanks

Whatever..............If it falls under the guidelines its FREE!

Here it is:
    Subject: Special Coverage Adjustment - Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle Function #07187 - (09/28/2007)

Models: 2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT

2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE

2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.

Condition
    Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

Special Coverage Adjustment
    This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. Returned IP clusters will be inspected upon return and replacement of IP clusters that do not exhibit the condition will not be covered.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
    Involved are all 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles built within the following VIN breakpoints:
    Last edited by sonjaab; 01-30-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks

Unfortunatley my truck is past 70,000 miles it will be all out of pocket. But i've seen posts of people replacing stepper motors with apparent ease. I would consider trying this if that is the problem but i'm not 100% certain if that is the issue yet or if there is other common problems in the cluster.
    Thanks everyone for all help so far!

Thanks

So i replaced the fuse and it blew again on my way to buddies shop! I had the usual ABS and E BRAKE lights come on speedo flutter and tranny downshifting, we replaced the speed sensor and all seems fine, just curious as to what keeps blowing fuse. Any ideas out there?

Thanks

So this is where i'm at as of late, my fuse for the cig. lighter and OBD11 keeps blowing, i replaced the speed sensor since the needle was jumping not dead, and now the needle is dead but my tranny shifts fine and the abs and park brake icons still come on. I spoke to someone who repairs the clusters and he thinks it is not the cluster since my odometer is not changing either. I won't have a chance to pull it until this weekend to get my cluster to him to check. i also have a "service brakes soon " message all the time. while my fuse is good the only error i got was erattic misfire or something along those lines hence the best spark plugs post

Thanks

Do you or have you used the cig plug/power port for things like a
    phone charger or other device regularly? Could be its worn and
    popping the fuse. Have you tried disconnecting the power wire
    to it to see it it is the problem?

Thanks

Have not used those items myself yet but as I recently purchased the truck, I do know however they were well used and I will definately check those asap.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information