02 Monte Carlo intermittently will not start

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 02 Monte Carlo intermittently will not start

Walking
    Thanks

02 Monte Carlo intermittently will not start

I seem to have a crazy issue with my 2002 Monte Carlo SS. In October, she started up when I picked my kids up from school, went to gas station, filled up and would not crank. AT ALL. Stressed & stuck, called my hubby who tried to jump start-nada, tried wiggling the steering wheel-nada, put in neutral, moved back and forth-again, nada. Sooo, a good friend happened to see us, put all 300lbs after wiggling the key back and forth, it turned over. Lights, work, radio works, and hear a click click. Sometimes, mind you, SOMEtimes, if I wiggle the key enough, without bloodying my knuckles too bad, I can get it to start. Got a variety from bad starter, to ignition switch to ignition module. I called one repairshop to see if they could help me pin point symptoms, rather than paying $300 for a switch and not be it, and he advised me he didn't have a crystal ball. I just want someone to help me narrow it down. I already had a fellow put in a resistor to bypass the security as this was the "first cheap lets-see-if-it-works". "Something" worked for almost a month-then started again, scary thing is, it starts like a champ every morning, freezing cold, warm, whatever, right off the bat. But in the afternoon, forget it, it's already left me stranded several times. I'm seeing aLOT about the faulty ignition switch, but now I see one post that recommended doing the switch and cylinder at the same time?? AHHHH - this thing is driving me nuts. Thank you in advance for anyone who can shed some light!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 02 Monte Carlo intermittently will not start

The cheapest money you will spend is to get the thing scanned for fault codes. That will probably tell you where to start.

Wiggling the key and getting it to start would seem to indicate that the key cylinder is the culprit. I say seem to.

Unfortunately, when the problem is not occuring with a technician there testing it at the same time you're always going to have a crapshoot. The key cylinder would be my best guess.

Walking
    Thanks

Update: Already had the "security bypassed" with a resistor. Yesterday, had the ignition switch replaced. Paid my money and got in my car, guess what? Still won't turn over. This car is, by far, my worst nightmare. Now my mechanic is telling me most likely BCM. Reading posts from some people that "these cars have HUGE problems with BCM" and leaving their owners stranded, sometimes with their children, is not reassuring to me. The week after I purchased this POS, the steering wheel felt funny, happens to be the steering shaft, again no recall. No recall on BCM that are faulty, or prone to be faulty.

The only way I got my car out of the driveway yesterday: Husband disconnected the battery for a minute, put my key partially in the ignition for about 10 seconds, turned the key to Acc for about 10-15 seconds, then the POS started. I am at my wits end, horse and buggy sounds good.

Walking
    Thanks

i have the same or similar issue....had the bmc replaced to the tune of 500 bucks by a dealership...and that seemed to fix the problem for a while...now it seems to be doing it again...security light comes on at random...i will turn the car off and it will sdtart again...minus the security light...other times i can go from point a to point b without problems...and then try to start it again from point b...and it wont start...sometimes the security light comes on while trying to start it..sometimes it wont...almost acts if its cold but in that situation it isnt....so yeah...i dont know either...im almost ready to give up on it

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

You had the ignition switch replaced or the ignition key cylinder? Not the same thing.

The key cylinder is where the key goes. The switch is further down in the column.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information