Saturn Vue XE FWD 2.4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saturn Vue XE FWD 2.4

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Saturn Vue XE FWD 2.4

A family friend of ours currently has a 2005 Honda CR-V and wants to get a new vehicle. She doesn't like the looks of the new CR-V so I showed her some alternatives. I showed her everything from the Nissan Rogue to the Ford Escape - however she really liked the looks of the Vue. She decided to look at the Green Line Hybrid as she likes 4-cylinders and because she uses her vehicle for business - get better gas mileage as well. So when I went a couple weeks ago with one of my friends, I got some information for her. Unfortunately, all the 2008 Green Lines are sold out so she would have to order a 2009 and there is already a wait list for them. She decided that she could wait but wanted to get a feel for it first before she makes a final decision so I suggested that she take out a 4-cylinder XE. The salesman had no problem with that so that's what we did tonight.

The new Vue is without a doubt GM's nicest compact SUV. It has a premium look and feel to it and the interior quality is lightyears ahead of the last gen Vue and Torrent/Equinox. It's also lightyears ahead of many of its competitors as well which is generally unheard of in a GM product.

The salesman gave a brief overview of the Vue and then handed us the keys and we were off. She drove it first and then I drove it back to the dealership. Acceleration from the 2.4L ECOTEC is best described as adequate. It has good around town acceleration but don't expect it to pass semi-trucks on the highway with ease. The 4-Speed Auto shifts smoothly in typical GM fashion, however the 6-Speed or even the 5-Speed Auto from the Torrent/Equinox would help improve performance and economy. The Electric Power Steering has been tuned perfectly for the Vue and feels a lot better than the Torrent and previous generation Vues that I have driven. Brake pedal feel is firm and has good modulation. The Vue rides nicely and while I didn't come across too many curves on the route, I'm sure handling will be more than adequate for most drivers. Road noise is well muted and is noticeably quieter than our friend's CR-V.

Overall, we both came away impressed with the new Vue. It's about time GM offered products like this and I think if more people who wouldn't normally consider a GM product (like our friend), visit a GM (especially Saturn) dealer, they will come away impressed as well. Our friend decided that she is going to order a 2009 Vue Hybrid and wait a few months for it to come in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Saturn Vue XE FWD 2.4

Nice review but I believe the current gen Vue uses hydraulic power steering.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkedRL View Post
    According to GM Canada it says Electric for 4-Cylinder and Hybrid and Hydraulic for V6 models.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Adequate acceleration?
    Hmm. I still say the Vue's too heavy. And its fuel economy leaves much to be desired from a compact SUV.
    But glad to hear GM's getting another sale.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have yet to drive any version of the Vue. It looks like a beautiful compact SUV. I wish GM could cut 300lbs off the thing and give the 2.4 the 6spd auto.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

I actually prefer the looks of the new Mitsubishi Outlander, and that tailgait is tops!!
    After that is the VUE, in terms of aesthetics only.

Escape to square, the Rogue too ubiquitously rounded, nothing outstanding about its design.
    www.TESTDRIVEJUNKIE.com

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    http://www.facebook.com/testdrivejunkie
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Inside and out this SUV is gorgeous. I want to drive one. Yes if they can cut 300 to 400 pounds off this vehicle it would be awesome. Also add the 6 speed which I think is available with the 4 cyl or will be.

Come on GM !!!!!

Come on GM !!!!!

Come on GM !!!!!

Come on GM !!!!!
    Come on GM !!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Adequate acceleration?
    Hmm. I still say the Vue's too heavy. And its fuel economy leaves much to be desired from a compact SUV.
    But glad to hear GM's getting another sale.
    The Hybrid is a lot better than the regular XE - at least according to Transport Canada's ratings. I think if I was getting the Vue I would opt for the Hybrid 4 over the XE-4 because it's not a huge price difference, has more features and gets better mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by DuSpinnst
    After driving my dad's more the only problem I have is the lack of telescoping steering. Due to that I have to sit in an odd position and my leg cramps up.
    Yah I was surprised to see that it didn't have telescoping steering. With most cars I don't need it - however with the Vue I felt like I would if I was driving it on a regular basis.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

We have a V6 vue but I can comment a bit on the 4 cylinder also as I test drove a 4 cylinder a couple of times and a co-worker has one that I have been in a couple times.

The weight isn't as much of an issue with the 4 cylinder as I would have thought. If you are getting the 4 cylinder, you aren't looking for great performance, and the Vue 4 cylinder doesn't have great performance. However, it gets out of it's way, and under 4000 rpm's, it actually has a little jump to it. Will it win a race versus a Rav4 4 cylinder or a CRV? Maybe not..but in all honesty, I'd have to see that race to tell, you can't really tell just by driving one.

I would challenge anyone to drive a 4 cylinder Vue back to back with most other 4 cylinder compact SUV's and find a big difference.

Now after defending the 4 cylinder Vue, I can also take GM to task for quality issues. I have disclosed in another thread, we have had MANY minor problems with our Vue....and the frined I have has also had his back to the dealer twice. Ours has just over 10,000 miles on it, and his has only about 5,000.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN View Post
    Acceleration from the 2.4L ECOTEC is best described as adequate. It has good around town acceleration but don't expect it to pass semi-trucks on the highway with ease.
    Actually, IMO the 4 cyl has tons of passing power. 4 cyl usually make their torque in the higher RPMs' and it does a damn good job on the freeway. Customers mainly complain about the starting acceleration. But never the passing acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkedRL View Post
    Correct, in the V6 (XR) trim only. The 4cyl does have EPS.
    Mercedes: Irrellevant in todays market.

"I would never consider owning a Buick because of the sheer stigma of owning a Buick, no matter how good they got;"
    -Mgescuro the follower.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I have a 08 VUE XE 4 cyl and coming off a 3.6 SRX, I noticed the difference. But the 4 cyl is fine and I have no problems getting to 80 on I-95. The VUE is noticebly quieter than my friend's RAV or another friend's Escape. The interior is especially nice and luxurious. My mother liked it better than my previous Caddy. I recently had the oil changed to synethic and the tires filled with nitrogen in hopes of upping my city mpg from 19 to over 20. My city driving is really urban with the ac on all the time.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information