GM Inside News Forum banner

Picked up the Astra - 1 Year Review (1/22/09)

23K views 117 replies 60 participants last post by  blibit11 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I finally picked up my Astra today, the first one driven off the Saturn of Troy lot :D. This car is light years better then the car I had before (Thread). Few things I have noticed on my drive/talk with the salesman. The car does currently have the military clock. The car has plenty of pep, and will hold its own in traffic, and handles very well. The rear seats do not fold completely flat, but they are at around 15 degrees or less, so its not horrible. The advanced audio package is confusing at first, but with a few minutes of playing with it you realize that you can really do a lot and fairly easy to do it. It has a full equalizer that you can adjust, I was surprised at that. The sunroof is SWEET and HUGE! Im still disappointed in not having a temp gauge. The stalks for the blinker and wipers will take me a little bit to get used to, but nice features. I now just have to get used to the clutch and shifter because mine was really old and loose, and these are much firmer and solid feeling.

5dr XR Manual
Twilight Blue
Advanced Audio
Sport Handling
Dual Panel Sunroof

I have to go get ready because I am leaving to go snowboarding here in a little while. I have a few pics, but haven't had time to load them, if there are some people want let me know and Ill try to get them. Or if you have questions, I can just go out to my car quick and let you know.
I LOVE MY NEW CAR! :drive:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Picked up the Astra

Most GM compacts don't have a temp guage anymore.

I remember in my camaro the temp guage was a dummy anyway. It stayed at exactly the same point unless the engine overheated. GM did this because Camaro owners wanted the temp guage but it was still exatly the same as having a dummy light on the dash.

#7 ·

I still miss my old Tracer....:(. I hope to get my wife an Astra this year, looks like a great car!

#9 ·

I drove an Astra today, loved it.

But you have to keep it over 3000 RPM to get a nice amount of power, which is fine for me since I will be getting the stick.
I really wanted to get more ffedback from you today Du. Do you plan on writing a mini review of your own?

By the way, nice to meet you and the family. My offer still stands to bring cars out to you and your folks for a real test drive.

#11 ·

Pictures or fail.

Just playing. Glad you enjoy the car. If I did buy an Astra, I'd probably do the 5 door just like yours. Still...the center stack looks cheap to me. But I know better than to trust pictures for how good a car is. I have to see it in real life! good color choice.

#12 ·

i'm sure there is a way to change the clock settings to (civilian time) but if you have an army buddy that knows military time go for it

#14 ·

how could a car not have a temp gauge? that seems ludicrous to me.

#15 ·

SR,

CONGRATS on your new Astra!!!

Lookin' forward to seeing pictures :).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
CDshowcase=www.WRMN1410.com*SATURDAY.january26*2p-5p.and.8p-11p.CENTRAL
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy" ... Eagles ... 'Take It Easy'

#16 ·

Here we go finally back from snowboarding, loading up the pics quick before I go to bed. Man I love this car, so many little things make this car really nice. Going from a car with over 183000 miles to one that now has 90+, picked it up at 13 on the odometer. Or so I thought Imageshack is being dumb, here is a thumbnail for now, ill see what I can do tomorrow.

View attachment 7566

#18 ·

Here we go finally back from snowboarding, loading up the pics quick before I go to bed. Man I love this car, so many little things make this car really nice. Going from a car with over 183000 miles to one that now has 90+, picked it up at 13 on the odometer. Or so I thought Imageshack is being dumb, here is a thumbnail for now, ill see what I can do tomorrow.

View attachment 7566
You bought the exact car I want. Blue, 5 door, stick. My wife is still in school though :( and we just had a baby. :D Maybe next year.

#20 ·

Congrats on the new ride! Yeah, it sticks that the car foesn't have a temp guage. But then again, my xB doesn't either. The blue is hot, but when I went to the dealership last thursday, black was hot, too. I'm going with blue.

Can't wait to see more pics!

#23 ·

Nice car.

I'd love a Twin Top

#25 ·

Congratulations.

I saw my first ones at a dealer yesterday. Very nice. I really like the 3-door.

I haven't driven one yet, but the first impression is that this car could be a real contender in this class. It looks refined and sporty. A good competitor for the Mazda 3 or any other compact.

#26 ·

Man, very, very sharp car! Congratulations! You've been waiting a long time for this day. This would make a good replacement for our Vibe.

On the temp gauge issue: Is the engine temp available in the DIC? Seems like I've read that some cars have that stuff available in the DIC if you want it. Still not as good as a gauge, but cars rarely run hot these days anyway. 10-15 years ago you were much more likely to get a temp guage but no tach. At least this way is much better than that.

#27 ·

Man, very, very sharp car! Congratulations! You've been waiting a long time for this day. This would make a good replacement for our Vibe.

On the temp gauge issue: Is the engine temp available in the DIC? Seems like I've read that some cars have that stuff available in the DIC if you want it. Still not as good as a gauge, but cars rarely run hot these days anyway. 10-15 years ago you were much more likely to get a temp guage but no tach. At least this way is much better than that.
It might, I havent tried to play with the DIC to much yet, been figuring out the audio first. Maybe tonight I might bring in my manuals and actually look at them.

#28 ·

Congrats on the car. Great color choice.

#31 ·

It might, I havent tried to play with the DIC to much yet, been figuring out the audio first. Maybe tonight I might bring in my manuals and actually look at them.
nice looking car man i def do like those over the ion. and for the temp gaugeif it is like my G5 it is under the DIC it will said coolent temp and it runs about 180 most the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.