Is the new Cruze catching on?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the new Cruze catching on?

Thanks

Is the new Cruze catching on?

Is the new Chevrolet Cruze catching on?

Looks like sales are increasing. It looks like they are on track to sell about 225,000 - 250,000 units this year, which is consistent with the model that was replaced and should put it well ahead of the Elantra, Mazda3, Focus, and Jetta. It will be battling out with the Sentra for 3rd place this year behind the Corolla and Civic.

I think Chevrolet could/should do better, but my optimism on the new generation Cruze is much higher than it was 6 months ago, especially with the new diesel model generating buzz. The sales jump that we saw towards the end of last year appears to have stuck around:

Sep 2016 - 15216
    Oct 2016 - 17127
    Nov 2016 - 16414
    Dec 2016 - 17324
    Jan 2017 - 19949
    Feb 2017 - 15367
    Mar 2017 - 18607
    Apr 2017 - 21317

Unfortunately, I can't find details on the take rate for the hatchback model.

Perhaps being the Consumers' Reports Top Pick for the class and having the highest possible rating for reliability is helping the Cruze attract buyers? They reported 47mpg out of their gas model, while Car and Driver posted Prius-crushing MPG out of the Cruze diesel.

Anecdotally, I've been seeing a lot of them around lately.

Last edited by member12; 05-15-2017 at 10:53 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,559 Times in 1,637 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Re: Is the new Cruze catching on?

its definitely something to look out for. I wonder how much incentive money is being used

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 979 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I have to chime in and say that I've been noticing a real increase the amount of sightings out on the roads as well. I'm glad it is finally catching on and selling because it is a good little car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 696 Posts

I still haven't seen many hatches around, and have yet to see a diesel in the wild up here. I do see a TON of sedans however, and not with rental stickers...
    GMI News Editor

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,574 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I see a crap ton of the Cruze and Civic. Civic is usually in white or silver and the Cruze is either in the dark red of the blue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    I see a crap ton of the Cruze and Civic. Civic is usually in white or silver and the Cruze is either in the dark red of the blue.
    You probably see a lot of Corollas too, but just don't remember.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to member12 For This Useful Post:

Al63240 (05-17-2017),bballr4567 (05-15-2017),bongos2u (05-16-2017),Cphelps (05-16-2017),Evo69 (05-16-2017),mbukukanyau (05-16-2017),ponchoman49 (05-17-2017)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Anecdotal but worth passing along:

When I bought my Malibu back in March, I asked the salesman (who was quite the straight shooter in my dealings) about how the Cruze hatch sales were going. He said they were very disappointing, the sedan was selling but not the hatch. He told me when GM did their song and dance show about the Cruze hatch during sales training, they were crowing how big a hit it would be. The entire sales staff was on-board but it's turned out so far to be a bust.

I test drove the hatch in January but quickly dismissed it in favor of the Malibu in the end, which I had to order to get the options and color combo I wanted (I also tested a Volt at the time). I really wanted to like the Cruze hatch but was quickly turned off by the engine. It wasn't that quiet, maybe I'm jaded by 12 years in a Mazda3, I wanted really quiet this time (I ordered a Malibu in Premier trim). I also found the 1.4L engine so-so at best; it wasn't anemic but nothing special either. Between the quieter interior and more available power under the hood that's why I opted for the Malibu.

My understanding is hatchbacks tend to be bought by men, namely younger ones who want "more power!" whereas in the Cruze's market segment women dominate sedan sales. The mediocre engine in the hatch I think is hampering sales, especially when coupled with the sticker price. It is a well put together car from what I could tell in my short drive and looking it over on the lot, inside and out (in some ways I thought it had nicer interior touches than the Malibu). But, it's lacking in some "oomph" under the hood plus that rather stiff sticker price. If one of the two is tweaked I think they'd see sales pick up.
    Last edited by tnmats; 05-15-2017 at 05:15 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tnmats For This Useful Post:

Cphelps (05-16-2017),InCogKneeToe (05-16-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tnmats View Post
    Anecdotal but worth passing along:

When I bought my Malibu back in March, I asked the salesman (who was quite the straight shooter in my dealings) about how the Cruze hatch sales were going. He said they were very disappointing, the sedan was selling but not the hatch. He told me when GM did their song and dance show about the Cruze hatch during sales training, they were crowing how big a hit it would be. The entire sales staff was on-board but it's turned out so far to be a bust.

I test drove the hatch in January but quickly dismissed it in favor of the Malibu in the end, which I had to order to get the options and color combo I wanted (I also tested a Volt at the time). I really wanted to like the Cruze hatch but was quickly turned off by the engine. It wasn't that quiet, maybe I'm jaded by 12 years in a Mazda3, I wanted really quiet this time (I ordered a Malibu in Premier trim). I also found the 1.4L engine so-so at best; it wasn't anemic but nothing special either. Between the quieter interior and more available power under the hood that's why I opted for the Malibu.

My understanding is hatchbacks tend to be bought by men, namely younger ones who want "more power!" whereas in the Cruze's market segment women dominate sedan sales. The mediocre engine in the hatch I think is hampering sales, especially when coupled with the sticker price. It is a well put together car from what I could tell in my short drive and looking it over on the lot, inside and out (in some ways I thought it had nicer interior touches than the Malibu). But, it's lacking in some "oomph" under the hood plus that rather stiff sticker price. If one of the two is tweaked I think they'd see sales pick up.
    If the Cruze is primarily driven by females, they should have probably offered a coupe model instead of a hatch. Or in conjunction with a hatch.

I don't know the take rate on the hatch, but the Cruze model (hatch and sedan) does appear to be catching on finally. Like the VW Golf and Jetta, it could use a sport version with 200+ horsepower. The RS model is mostly badging unfortunately.
    Last edited by member12; 05-15-2017 at 05:34 PM.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I live in the Dallas area and am quite attuned to makes and models. I have seen exactly one 2017 Cruze sedan and zero hatch models. Area generally saturated with Asian and European makes.
    Exception are the large GM SUVs. No mystery there as they are made in Arlington, a burb of Dallas. Slades everywhere you turn.

I personally could like the Cruze but it is seriously underpowered. I get that it is a MPG issue but an SS should not be out of the question...or better yet a REAL honest to god RS rather than just badges and wheels.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 ATS Premium 6MT

I am pretty sure they are throwing a lot of incentive money at them currently.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wallus13 For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-16-2017)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

I was quite impressed with my recent rental Cruze, drives well and rides quietly.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Not many in the Boston area. Very few in the hands of regular people, I would be the majority of the few I see are actually rentals. No hatch or diesel sightings to speak of and I am on the road every day even going on different major routes to and from work (~65-70 miles daily). Such is life on the coasts where domestics tend to not be seen. Probably would see more if I drove further out from the Rt 128/I-95 belt on a normal basis.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Traverse / 2008 Malibu

Cheap $$ lease deals are putting a lot of these on the road. I have even seen a few hatchbacks.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-16-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Traverse / 2008 Malibu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    I was quite impressed with my recent rental Cruze, drives well and rides quietly.
    My sister had one as a rental. She said she wished she had tried one before she bought a Trax. She said she liked the Cruze better.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-16-2017),ponchoman49 (05-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,315 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Looks promising, but probably should look at fleet sales and their impact on the upward trend in sales volume.

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information