Help with oil change on 2013 Equinox 4 cyl

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with oil change on 2013 Equinox 4 cyl

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Help with oil change on 2013 Equinox 4 cyl

My last vehicle was a 2004 Chrysler T&C and now I am faced with a very different motor and would like assistance with the necessary steps to change the oil and filter. My owners manual provides no info on this procedure - for obvious reasons. There is no schematic showing the locations of the oil drain plug and the filter housing.

I'm sure I can locate the drain plug but wonder about what appears to be the filter system on the upper side of the motor and wonder if there is anything I should know about removing the cap - i.e., special tool or caveats when removing the cap.

Thanks in advance

Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Re: Help with oil change on 2013 Equinox 4 cyl

I have basicly the same on my HHR, I use a 32mm 1/2 socket wrench with extension to remove the plastic cover. put some old rags down around the cap so that as you pick it up after you unscrew it, oil will not drip on the engine. The filter will stay attached to the lid, and even after the oil is drained there is always some residual oil that likes to drip. I like to keep drips off the engine so that I don't get the smell of oil burning off as I drive. The new filter will come with a new cap seal ring, that is a good idea to replace also. Remove the old filter from the cap and put the new one back on, them screw the cap back on with the filter attached. Its really simple. Have fun, get to know your car. I hope this is helpfull.

P.S remember lefty loosy, righty tighty.
    Last edited by TORRED1; 04-23-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 CTS-V Wagon 6 speed

The dealer will do it for about $30 and may throw in a tire rotation for that price.
    you don't have to buy oil & filter att eh local parts store.
    you don't have to climb under the car to change the oil.
    You don't have to dispose of the used oil.

Make life easy and let the dealer do it.

If you have to ask how, and need a written procedure to do it, you would be better served to let the dealer do it. And I think that may be the motor they will recalibrate the oil life monitoring system. GM has found the OLI on certain models is to long and they are experiencing catastrophic engine failures because of it. The recalibration is done under warranty.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Injun Ear View Post
    The dealer will do it for about $30 and may throw in a tire rotation for that price.

My buddy might disagree.
    Had 3 oil changes done on his new Cruze and dealer messed them all up.
    Round off the drain plug, then wanted him to pay for a new one and spilled so much oil he had to stop on his way home and rinse some of the oil off since it was smelling so bad. Sound like a recall from "owners" spilling oil causing fires?

Problem I've seen with many dealers today is they have a quick change lube rack. So even if you have a tech you like working on your vehicle chances are they won't be doing the oil change, just a minimum wage kid who may have no mechanical skills.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 4X4 Black

Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    My buddy might disagree.
    Had 3 oil changes done on his new Cruze and dealer messed them all up.
    Round off the drain plug, then wanted him to pay for a new one and spilled so much oil he had to stop on his way home and rinse some of the oil off since it was smelling so bad. Sound like a recall from "owners" spilling oil causing fires?

Problem I've seen with many dealers today is they have a quick change lube rack. So even if you have a tech you like working on your vehicle chances are they won't be doing the oil change, just a minimum wage kid who may have no mechanical skills.
    Sounds like a fast service oil place,just like the kind my son use to use. Monte Carlo battery always checked on form but never done. Buried under air intake box and angle fender support that never saw a wrench........................

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC rjpoog1989's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Canyon/2005/Superior Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Injun Ear View Post

Makes life easy but more expencive in the long run.. At some dealers their 21 point inspection will usually cause them to make something up that's wrong and if you don't know what you're doing you'll just let them charge you insane amounts of money to fix it. Crawling under the vehicle give you a chance to check things out and see for yourself what may be wrong. I change my own oil because I'm not lazy and I can do it in a half an hour just like anyone else. I'd rather change it myself than sit in a waiting room bored out of my mind for a half an hour.
    Daily Driver:
    2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
    - Crystal Red Tintcoat

Weekend Warrior:
    2005 GMC Canyon SLE z71
    - Zone 3.5 inch lift
    - 33x10.50r15 BfGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
    - Supermodulation Performance Package
    - Supermodulation Tune

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Jim,

I have been changing oil on my cars since 1950 - most likely before you were born. I merely asked for information on the oil filter system that was unfamiliar to me. As you may know the Equinox filter housing is in an unusual location (to me) and the filter itself is much different than any I had worked with. I was hoping to get input from others that are more familiar with the system. You may be right about having the dealer do it, but I am from the old school and like to occasionally view the under side of my vehicles - changing one's oil accomplishes that.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Buy the special socket that fits on the lid. I did not use it the first oil change and while you can do it, you need a very large socket which costs just as much as the shallow one you can buy on Amazon or any parts store. In fact, I did all my oil changes from the top side with a vacuum pump made for oil changes and it was wonderful.

I will suggest to use a very good full synthetic. Pennzoil Platinum is becoming the standard for GM direct injection engines as it resists fuel dilution amazingly well.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Thanks for the input bballr,

Would you kindly provide more info on the your suggestion to use a large socket. Do you mean deep? And do you think one can buy just the single socket rather than the entire set? At 81 I do not intend to do any repairs other than oil changes.

Frank

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Terrain/2014/Summit White

I always check Youtube for something comparable:

And check this guy out with his Terrain:
    Last edited by mudpuddle; 04-26-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 1500 Z71

I will throw in one piece of information here. If this is your first oil change, when you take the filter cap out to change the filter, you will notice a green seal on the cap. My best recommendation is to leave that there as per GM, that is a "lifetime" seal. Unless you change it everytime you buy a new filter, if you change it once for a black seal (usually in non-ACDelco filters for Ecotec engines) it will compress over time and start to leak oil.

If you happen to buy an ACDelco filter for your Equinox, you will notice that it does not come with a new seal.

Take a read here: http://www.archivedsites.com/techlin...-concerns.html

Other than that, Ecotec engines have one of the easiest oil changes. 15mm wrench for the drain plug (pass. side of the engine, back of the oil pan) and the 32mm socket for the cap up top (Lisle makes a low profile socket that should be able to be found at many parts stores). 5 quarts of your favorite (2011 and newer GM use Dexos from the factory which is semi-synthetic) and your good to go!!

Nova Omega Ventura Apollo gets you NOVA, genius isn't it?

Occupy Wall Streeters should go occupy their homes...or a job...

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Thanks for the informative post, newdude. Will comply with your reuse suggestion for the factory cap seal. The filter I bought was a Bosch and it did come with a new seal.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

mudpuddle - thanks for the video - very helpful

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information