3rd Gen Camaros

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: 3rd Gen Camaros

  1. #1
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC sceltor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mizzou
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What are the changes throughout the years for the 82-92, like how to identify each year? I know the other 3 gens, but the 3rd gens have my stymied.


    2000 Camaro coupe, black, t-tops

    St. Louis Cardinals: World Series bound, again! (and no damn Red Sox will stop us this time!)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 posaune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia
    Posts
    1,968
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 275 Times in 180 Posts
    82-85 ugly

    86-89 still ugly but a little better

    90-92 a little better, but still ugly and now dated

    sorry couldn't help it.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! http://www.facebook.com/groups/250698485001606

    "Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

  4. #3
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacJ8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    *Pontiac~Avenue*
    Posts
    1,500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    3rd Gen. F-Bodys are kinda easy to tell the difference between the years, the less slope (more boxy) the earlier....but how in the world do you tell the difference between a 93-97 or 98-02 F-Body??

  5. #4
    Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    14,920
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    posaune.... watch it.... <_<


    third gens are easy.
    82-84 cars had a smaller front nose. top model is the Z28. Engine power was down in these years with the largest motor a high output 305 making 190hp. It was a carbed 4bbl.
    84 Z28-



    85-90 are the IROC years. larger nose, larger ground effects. IROC&#39;s came with a special "grid" style tail lights as did Z28&#39;s. Z28&#39;s and IROC&#39;s all got a distictive black louvered hood. From 85-87, IROC&#39;s were a trim level of the Z28. The rims were 16 inches and had a single, wide dark stripe running down the middle of each spoke. 85 and 86, top engine was the TPI 305 making 215hp in 85, and then in 86 it was detuned with the smaller infamous "peanut" cam and was rated at 190hp. In 87, the 350 returned to the line up as did the vert model. The 350TPI made 225hp and only came in auto. The 5spd could now be gotten with the 305 TPI and the 305 got the 350&#39;s larger cam, and raised the HP of the 5spd only 305&#39;s to 215hp. By 87, the L69 or High Output 305 was gone. Z28&#39;s got a 2 tone paint while the IROC&#39;s got monochromatic paint with "IROC-Z" on the doors.
    87 IROC


    87 Z28(crappy picture of my car...)


    In 88, the Z28 left, and the IROC was the top model. 88-90 top IROC&#39;s came with 16 inch rims, but were of a different style. In 88, the introduction of the RS model to the whole US started along with the L03 TBI 305 to replace the aged LG4 carbed low-power 305. In 88, the 1LE model could be had. It got larger disk brakes, aluminum drive shaft, AC delete, and radio delete. The 1LE cars had either the TPI 350 or TPI 305 5spd. It also got a baffled gas tank to keep pump sumerged in gas during hard cornering. The 1LE also got many suspension upgrades.
    89 IROC-


    In 90, the TPI system went from a mass air flow set up to a speed/density set up. This removed the MAF from the intake track and improved air flow and increaed HP by 5. That and the addition of the dual cats and cam revision increased the power of the 350 and 305 5spd cars. Chevy lost the contract to IROC racing, and the Z28 returned to being the top model. In 91 and 92, the RS was the base model that got either a 3.1 v6 or a 305 TBI engine. The Z28 got any of the V8&#39;s. By 92, the 350 was making 245hp out of a dual cat set up and the 305 5spd G92 model was making 230hp (both higher then the 5.0 Mustang&#39;s raiting of the time).
    The 91-92 Z28&#39;s no longer had the IROC hood and they were replaced with the "speed blisters".
    92 Z28-


    I left a lot of info out, but the pictures should help you out. If you need anymore info, let me know.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

    Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

  6. #5
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 johnd89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    In front of the PC!
    Posts
    1,973
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    altough I have a gta, I never get tired of those iroc and 91 92 z28&#39;s&#33;

    do you have a pic with a race camaro also?

  7. #6
    Walking
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    PontiacJ8&nbsp; Posted on Apr 2 2004, 03:46 AM
    &nbsp; 3rd Gen. F-Bodys are kinda easy to tell the difference between the years, the less slope (more boxy) the earlier....but how in the world do you tell the difference between a 93-97 or 98-02 F-Body??
    easily... 93-96 z&#39;s have all red tail lights, 97 has amber turn signals in the tail lights, also 97 ss&#39;s did not come with the "ss" spoiler
    98 z28&#39;s do not have painted mirrors, they are black
    99-00 painted to match the car mirrors, 5 star rims
    01-02 different rims (not 5 stars)

    its not to hard..

  8. #7
    6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,103
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 2 2004, 12:57 AM
    posaune.... watch it.... <_<


    third gens are easy.
    82-84 cars had a smaller front nose. top model is the Z28. Engine power was down in these years with the largest motor a high output 305 making 190hp. It was a carbed 4bbl.
    84 Z28-



    85-90 are the IROC years. larger nose, larger ground effects. IROC&#39;s came with a special "grid" style tail lights as did Z28&#39;s. Z28&#39;s and IROC&#39;s all got a distictive black louvered hood. From 85-87, IROC&#39;s were a trim level of the Z28. The rims were 16 inches and had a single, wide dark stripe running down the middle of each spoke. 85 and 86, top engine was the TPI 305 making 215hp in 85, and then in 86 it was detuned with the smaller infamous "peanut" cam and was rated at 190hp. In 87, the 350 returned to the line up as did the vert model. The 350TPI made 225hp and only came in auto. The 5spd could now be gotten with the 305 TPI and the 305 got the 350&#39;s larger cam, and raised the HP of the 5spd only 305&#39;s to 215hp. By 87, the L69 or High Output 305 was gone. Z28&#39;s got a 2 tone paint while the IROC&#39;s got monochromatic paint with "IROC-Z" on the doors.
    87 IROC


    87 Z28(crappy picture of my car...)


    In 88, the Z28 left, and the IROC was the top model. 88-90 top IROC&#39;s came with 16 inch rims, but were of a different style. In 88, the introduction of the RS model to the whole US started along with the L03 TBI 305 to replace the aged LG4 carbed low-power 305. In 88, the 1LE model could be had. It got larger disk brakes, aluminum drive shaft, AC delete, and radio delete. The 1LE cars had either the TPI 350 or TPI 305 5spd. It also got a baffled gas tank to keep pump sumerged in gas during hard cornering. The 1LE also got many suspension upgrades.
    89 IROC-


    In 90, the TPI system went from a mass air flow set up to a speed/density set up. This removed the MAF from the intake track and improved air flow and increaed HP by 5. That and the addition of the dual cats and cam revision increased the power of the 350 and 305 5spd cars. Chevy lost the contract to IROC racing, and the Z28 returned to being the top model. In 91 and 92, the RS was the base model that got either a 3.1 v6 or a 305 TBI engine. The Z28 got any of the V8&#39;s. By 92, the 350 was making 245hp out of a dual cat set up and the 305 5spd G92 model was making 230hp (both higher then the 5.0 Mustang&#39;s raiting of the time).
    The 91-92 Z28&#39;s no longer had the IROC hood and they were replaced with the "speed blisters".
    92 Z28-


    I left a lot of info out, but the pictures should help you out. If you need anymore info, let me know.
    Just to correct a few things in 91-92 you could only get TPI motors in the Z28&#39;s. The TBI was only available for the RS. Also the 16 inch rims on the 91-92 Cars were the same with no difference between them, but the Z 28&#39;s did get larger tires. The G92, rear end upgrade, automatically selected the 245 series Gatorbacks. In 90 the interior got an upgrade to include a driverside air bag. In 88 the sport coupe had a optional rear wing that looked like a shorter version of the 91-92 Z wing, commonly reffered to as the F40 wing. The 85-86 SC had optional fog lights that went into the louvered front grill. The Irocs of 88-90 had optional 15 inch rims when paired with the 305 TBI motors. This was the basment version of the Iroc. The Bertilenetta was available from 82-86 with a very small production of 86. From 84-86 it featured a totally digital dash, the only one ever offered in a Camaro, and also a pod mounted radio. In 87 you had the low production and one year only LT model, these are kinda rare and in fact only 3 LT convertables are known to exist. In 87 you also had the 20th anniversary Z28 cars. The 20th Z convertables are Extrememly rare and valuable in fact some sell for as much as &#036;20K right now. In 87 ASC was allowed to perform factory authorized convertables for Camaro&#39;s only, they have a different vin than the standart Camaro. Factory authorized Firebird Verts weren&#39;t available till 91. From 90-92 the 350 was NOT available with Ttops. If you find such a beast look on the SPID label for the following codes. If the car did originally have both the codes B2L, L98, and CC1 will appear on the label. If not the car has been tampered with and it isn&#39;t legit. If you do find one post about it on thirdgen.org the BEST site for 3rd gen Technical knowlege.

    Wow that turned out to be kinda long.

  9. #8
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC PaleGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NYC Metro
    Posts
    258
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My Ride
    Equinox, Camaro, et al
    Originally posted by 88monte@Apr 2 2004, 02:26 AM
    PontiacJ8*&nbsp; Posted on Apr 2 2004, 03:46 AM
    *&nbsp; 99-00 painted to match the car mirrors, 5 star rims
    01-02 different rims (not 5 stars)
    That&#39;s not true. 98-99 have black mirrors. 00 was the start of the new (ugly) wheels & body-colored mirrors.

  10. #9
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6 BRMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    516
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by PaleGreen+Apr 2 2004, 05:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PaleGreen @ Apr 2 2004, 05:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-88monte@Apr 2 2004, 02:26 AM
    PontiacJ8** Posted on Apr 2 2004, 03:46 AM
    ** 99-00 painted to match the car mirrors, 5 star rims
    01-02 different rims (not 5 stars)
    That&#39;s not true. 98-99 have black mirrors. 00 was the start of the new (ugly) wheels & body-colored mirrors. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s right. The 1997 thru 1999 Camaros had the five spoke wheel design. 2000 is when the hideous wheels came out. 1993 Z28&#39;s also had yellow numbers and letters inside like the late third gen cars. I believe it was 1995 when the name "Camaro" was taken off of the fenders of V6 models.
    2004 Impulse Blue Metallic Pontiac GTO (6M) - Not Stock
    2007 Blue-Gold Crystal Metallic Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan
    2003 Dark Green Metallic Chevrolet S10 LS (4.3-liter V6, 4A)

  11. #10
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    708
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    91-92 Z28s, short of the 1st gens, the best looking Camaros.
    I would really dig a 350 TPI with 5-speed in a 91-92 Z28.
    Several of those late 80s Z28s and IROCs look great, too.
    (Anything will beat the nasty 4th gen Camaros... ugh.)
    Turbocharged 4.3 S10

  12. #11
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 demonspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    I&#39;ll add to it...

    To tell IROC-Z&#39;s apart...

    85 did NOT have a 3rd brake.
    86 had the 3rd brake light on the exterior of the hatch glass.
    87-90 had the 3rd brake light in the wing.
    85-87 had the IROC-Z on the front of the doors.
    85-87 said Z28 on the ground effects and rear bumper.
    88-90 had IROC-Z on the rear of the doors.
    88-90 had IROC-Z on the ground effects and rear bumper.
    90 had the upgraded interior.
    85-87 had a single slit on the wheels.
    88-90 had 2 slits on the wheels.

    I REALLY miss my 89


    You&#39;ll notice I had the 91 Z28 wheels on mine.
    Current: '07 TrailBlazer LS|'02 Camaro SS
    Past: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'05 GTO|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z

    www.fquick.com/demonspeed

  13. #12
    2.5L Iron Duke redhotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by BRMike+Apr 2 2004, 09:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BRMike &#064; Apr 2 2004, 09:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by PaleGreen@Apr 2 2004, 05:22 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-88monte
    @Apr 2 2004, 02:26 AM
    PontiacJ8** Posted on Apr 2 2004, 03:46 AM
    ** 99-00 painted to match the car mirrors, 5 star rims
    01-02 different rims (not 5 stars)

    That&#39;s not true. 98-99 have black mirrors. 00 was the start of the new (ugly) wheels & body-colored mirrors.
    That&#39;s right. The 1997 thru 1999 Camaros had the five spoke wheel design. 2000 is when the hideous wheels came out. 1993 Z28&#39;s also had yellow numbers and letters inside like the late third gen cars. I believe it was 1995 when the name "Camaro" was taken off of the fenders of V6 models.[/b][/quote]
    probably should check your facts-this is a shot of my 2000 Z 28 with factory wheels

  14. #13
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 demonspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Originally posted by redhotz+May 31 2004, 10:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (redhotz @ May 31 2004, 10:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by BRMike@Apr 2 2004, 09:25 PM
    Originally posted by PaleGreen@Apr 2 2004, 05:22 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-88monte
    @Apr 2 2004, 02:26 AM
    PontiacJ8** Posted on Apr 2 2004, 03:46 AM
    ** 99-00 painted to match the car mirrors, 5 star rims
    01-02 different rims (not 5 stars)

    That&#39;s not true. 98-99 have black mirrors. 00 was the start of the new (ugly) wheels & body-colored mirrors.

    That&#39;s right. The 1997 thru 1999 Camaros had the five spoke wheel design. 2000 is when the hideous wheels came out. 1993 Z28&#39;s also had yellow numbers and letters inside like the late third gen cars. I believe it was 1995 when the name "Camaro" was taken off of the fenders of V6 models.
    probably should check your facts-this is a shot of my 2000 Z 28 with factory wheels [/b][/quote]
    What&#39;s your build date? It&#39;d have to be really early in the year to get those wheels.

    That&#39;s just like some really early 97&#39;s got the 93-96 interior, rather than the updated 97-02 interior.
    Current: '07 TrailBlazer LS|'02 Camaro SS
    Past: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'05 GTO|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z

    www.fquick.com/demonspeed

  15. #14
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,805
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 90 Times in 67 Posts
    And I thought my friend&#39;s fox-bodied Mustang of the same years looked ugly (although his dash stands out as a truly hideous display of design). All the mfrs must have been into the box-design theme. Couple this with a detuned motor and you have some pretty bleak years.
    All I can say is that I didn&#39;t miss much while buying minivans in that period.

  16. #15
    Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    14,920
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Originally posted by 69nova@Jun 2 2004, 12:15 PM
    And I thought my friend&#39;s fox-bodied Mustang of the same years looked ugly (although his dash stands out as a truly hideous display of design). All the mfrs must have been into the box-design theme. Couple this with a detuned motor and you have some pretty bleak years.
    All I can say is that I didn&#39;t miss much while buying minivans in that period.
    ahhhhh ok? For the time, the 5.0 Mustangs and Fbodies were some of the best bang for the buck performance cars.
    Like I said in the other thread, the 85 Iroc posted a better skid pad number then Corvette, Supra, 300zx, and Mustang GT.
    They ran better times in the 1/4 then a lot of the fabled muscle cars of the 60&#39;s. 396 Camaros ran low 15&#39;s to high 14&#39;s from what I understand, and the weak and bleek TPI 305 can do that, not to mention the 350 cars and 305 5spds.
    I think the Camaros look like 80&#39;s Ferrari&#39;s in a way. And having a red one helps that out too .

    I cant stand the 5.0&#39;s body style. The headlights never match up, and the Escort styling is for the birds. I like the interior of the third gens much better then Fords. For its time, the interior looks pretty good.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

    Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2