2006 Impalas transmission slipping

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2006 Impalas transmission slipping

Thanks

Exclamation 2006 Impalas transmission slipping

So my 2006 impala with 62500k miles transmission is slipping and i wanted to know if i should get a transmission flush?

Heres the deal:
    When i make left turns the car jerks/jumps and hesitates. When i come a hard stop it jumps/jerks back. On the high way its not accelerating smoothly as it used too. And my gas seems to be getting guzzeled a lot lately. But i think that can be a seperate issue from the transmission.

If anyone has any ideas, advice, help, for me and my impala we would bith appreciate it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Re: 2006 Impalas transmission slipping

Too late for a tranny flush or fluid replacement. If its doing as you say, the damage has been done.
    2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 -- 63,000 miles
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT -- 98,000 miles

Family: 2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ, 2012 Chevrolet Volt; 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS; 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD; 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT; 2005 Chevrolet Impala

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

How is the engine running? If it's not running smoothly, the transmission won't shift smoothly.

Trans flush would be a waste of time.

Walking
    Thanks

Question Re: 2006 Impalas transmission slipping

Seems like trans issues are becoming VERY common with the 2006 models. Over at naioa.com there are many reports of at, as well as consumer reports and other car quality websites. I'm getting worried, because I have a 2006. What transmission is in these cars, and why would the 2006 model have issues??

Banned
    Thanks

most likely a software upgrade.
    They did one to my HHR saying that it was prevent slipping.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCanDoIt View Post
    Seems like trans issues are becoming VERY common with the 2006 models. Over at naioa.com there are many reports of at, as well as consumer reports and other car quality websites. I'm getting worried, because I have a 2006. What transmission is in these cars, and why would the 2006 model have issues??
    4t60 same trans that has been used for years. check the fluid level it my be sucking up air otherwise sounds like a drivbility problem

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericguy320 View Post
    4t60 same trans that has been used for years. check the fluid level it my be sucking up air otherwise sounds like a drivbility problem
    Actually, after googling it it is the 4t65, not 60. Still can't figure out if the trans has been used for years in many vehicles while all the trouble suddenly with the 06 Impala?

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCanDoIt View Post
    Actually, after googling it it is the 4t65, not 60. Still can't figure out if the trans has been used for years in many vehicles while all the trouble suddenly with the 06 Impala?
    the 60 65 is how much torque it can handle, its still the same trans. I work at a dealer and have not noticed an increassed number of impalas over and other car with this trans. If you have less than 80k on it I would take it to the dealer you bought it from or the one you spend the most money at and there is a good chance if it is a trans prob that they will goodwill the work under waranty, if they dont just call the cust care line and they may help. A lot of it depends on how good of a customer you have been.

Walking
    Thanks

Do not blame the transmission yet. I assume engine check light is not on. Go to the dealer and ask them to run an check on it, some sensor may be marginal or ECM may need a reflash.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

At around 85,000 miles had some slippage then had the sensors replaced in my 04 Grand Prix and wound up getting the transmission replaced before 90,000. It cost around $3,000.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

This is the infamous 4T65 automatic transaxle that was introduced in 1997 and paired with the S/C 3800 and 3.4 Twin Cam DOHC V6 at first. It quickly spread to the 3800 engine line and in 2000 was mated to the 3100/3400 engine family. This is the only transaxle used in the Impala line from 2000 to present. They have suffered a bunch of issues ranging from stretched/failed chains, prematurely worn 4th gear clutch plates, pressure control solonoid over bore condition causing line pressure issues, Sun shell gear failures and numerous solonoid issues that involve hanging up or sticking which causes shift problems. There have been numerous updates for this tranny and a 4T65HD was introduced with the SC 3800 series engine and this tranny with a beefed up output shaft and several other upgrades saw duty in the W-body 5.3 equipped Impalas/LaCrosses and GP's. I have personally experienced 3- 4T65 failures. One was in my 2000 Impala which all of a sudden started bang shifting when fully warmed up with resulting transmission whine when pulling away from a stop light. This was throwing a code that I can't remember at the momment but is a famous one for these trannys and centered around the pressure control solonoid overbore condition that forced the computer to go into limp mode and increase line pressure much higher to counteract this issue. The other cars were a 2001 LeSabre which broke it's Sun shell gear. When making a left turn it sounded like marbles were rolling around the transmission housing and often I would not even be able to move the car. This fiasco involved a total tranny rebuild to the tune of 3 grand. The other car affected was my 2002 Intrigue which was great up until a hair over 100K miles. Then the tell tale hard shifts and slips when taking off started occuring. This threw the same code as the 2000 Impala and I knew the TPCS was on it's way out. Interestingly I was able to limp that tranny along until 150K when I traded it in for my current 2008 Impala thanks to that marvelous black bottle of Transx tranny fix for newer cars. That stuff is unreal. Within 100 miles the bang shifts and slip dissappeared along with the code. My buddy put his scanner on that car and it was reporting on time shifts which of course kept it out of limp home mode and increased line pressure and bang shifts! The Transx cocktail must have swelled the TPCS solonoid seal enough to prevent pressure loss. I wonder how long the my 2008 Impala 4T65 will go backed by the more powerful 3900 engine before issues creep up. 58K miles and all is well so far fingers crossed.
    Last edited by ponchoman49; 01-29-2010 at 11:14 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information