GM Inside News Forum banner

2003 impala security light

27K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  hrcslam 
#1 ·
I have a X 2003 police car..I am having the problem where sometimes my security lights turns on and the car won't start. This normally happens when the car is around 1/4 full. I have tried everything but the only way that seems to work is wait for a while with the key in the ignition for a while. I am wondering if anyone has heard of this problem and knows how to fix it. I think it happens on reg impalas also.

#3 ·
GMCSonoma said:
I'd venture a guess towards the Pass-Lock sensor in the ignition lock cylinder. I would suggest you seek a professional, such as a GM dealer...or a repair shop that has a GM compatible scan tool. Check for stored security codes then, I'm not a betting man, however I'd lean towards a failure of the sensor...which means lock cylider replacement. If you have replaced such...seek professional assistance.
Samething I am thinking...I have contacted a shop and they said they will research for information on this.

Rex Raider said:
Does the car have an aftermarket remote starter? If so, that's the cause. I had nothing but problems with my 00 Monte SS with one.
No it does not I was thinking about getting one, but I guess that won't happen ha.

#4 ·
i have this problem happen to my 2001 impala. They installed a new ignition switch and cut new keys. I heard if this happens to you and you get stuck you should leave the keys in the ignition with the key turned just before the start position for 15 minutes and the car should start. A fault in the ignition makes the computer think the car is being stolen, therefore it prevents the car from starting.

#9 ·
There are a couple different ways to by pass this system. One is to buy and install a tdm bypass module.

The other is to put a resistor jumping the two wires that lead to the ignition cylinder, make sure the resistor its the same resistance as the chip in the key. Also ensure that when the wires are jumped they are no longer in contact with the ignition cylinder.

This assumes you have a key with a chip in it.... If not you need a bypass module.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.