2003 Chevy Impala Overheating

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 Chevy Impala Overheating

Walking
    Thanks

2003 Chevy Impala Overheating

I have a 2003 Chevy Impala which seems to overheat sometimes. The gauge seems normal but sometimes I have no heat, but when I top up the coolant it seems fine. Also, I have check for any leaks and don't seem to find any. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 F150, '09 G37, '10 R6

Re: 2003 Chevy Impala Overheating

Quote Originally Posted by lcovello View Post
    I have a 2003 Chevy Impala which seems to overheat sometimes. The gauge seems normal but sometimes I have no heat, but when I top up the coolant it seems fine. Also, I have check for any leaks and don't seem to find any. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Sounds like the typical manifold gasket issue!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

If you can pull some shrouding off to see if you have a pinhole leak somewhere, that could be part of your problem. It wouldn't 'splain the "no heat" though.

And if you're frequently topping off the coolant, your sealed system isn't so sealed.

My wife's PT was losing coolant but I could never find a puddle or see steam.

Shop discovered tiny holes topside. PTs have lots of shrouding and other stuff that's in the way so I never saw the stains that indicated a leak.

This is probably a good time to trade it for a 2012 3.6!

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

By manifold issue, are you refering to the upper manifold or lower?

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 F150, '09 G37, '10 R6

Quote Originally Posted by lcovello View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

By manifold issue, are you refering to the upper manifold or lower?
    An upper manifold gasket leak could allow the coolant to be consumed rather than leaked out. result low coolant but no sign of leakage. This is a common problem with that engine.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

If its a 3800 put lower intake gaskets and a new upper intake on it, if its super charged, just lower intake gaskets, if its a 3400 pry just lower intake gaskets but pressure check it and look at the head gaskets and water pump ect on all engines

Walking
    Thanks

Thank you to all for your help. The problem was actually the 90 degree elbow off the lower intake manifold to the serpentine belt tensioner housing was dripping. replaced that and all was good. Thanks again for all your help.

Walking
    Thanks

I changed that same elbow on my '02 Impala 3.4 a few years ago. It was also leaking. But my lost-coolant problem persisted. Then the "LOW COOLANT" message started appearing. Cleaning the sensor on the radiator cleared that up, but the lost-coolant problem persisted. Finally, I replaced the lower intake gaskets at about 105k miles. Today it has 161k miles on it and no more lost coolant.

It's almost certainly going to need new lower intake gaskets. My factory originals came out fairly pristine, by the way. Replaced them with Felpros. Might've been just a torque issue. Only about 9 ft. lbs on them.

If you're losing coolant through the engine that's not good for the lubrication of your engine.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information